PDA

View Full Version : Meek...Door mat or can you still be strong and Meek?

mythrealwriter
2005-Feb-28, 02:32 AM
Does Meek meen Door mat to you or do you think you can still be strong in your beliefs and life and still be Meek?
New College Dictionary Definition or Meek: 1: Showing great patience and humility.
2: Easily impossed upon, submissive and spineless.
Which of these do you agree with and why?

tlbs101
2005-Feb-28, 03:10 AM
Meek is not "Weak".

I agree with the first definition, and it is clear that those 2 definitions are in opposition to one another.

A person with a "big stick" can show meekness by not using the stick. Just because he has the stick doesn't mean he has to use it.

Another definition would be: "wise use of power".

W.F. Tomba
2005-Feb-28, 03:47 AM
I don't think those definitions are opposed to one another. I would expect someone who is submissive and easily imposed upon to show great patience and humility toward those who abuse him. But patient and humble people are not necessarily doormats. Definition 2 implies definition 1, but not vice versa.

To me, meek can be weak, but it doesn't have to be. Words don't always have to mean the same thing.

Grendl
2005-Feb-28, 05:44 AM
To be honest, I would use a better dictionary than that one, since definitions come from various usages and those usages usually help with clarity. I think someone who is meek can be strong in their beliefs, but if they constantly submit to others in opposition of their beliefs, than I would agree with Merriam-Webster's definition #2, which could be construed as being a "doormat." It's synonym 'humble' meaning 'low' isn't necessarily a negative thing either. This reminds me of the, "The meek shall inherit the earth." I tend to think they won't, but it implies suffering without anger will be rewarded.

Main Entry: 1meek Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: mk
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): -er/-est
Etymology: Middle English meoc, mek, meek, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse mjkr soft, gentle -- more at MUCUS

1 : manifesting patience and long-suffering : enduring injury without resentment : MILD <meek as a mouse -- Langston Hughes> <no longer the meek, soft native girl, but a determined woman -- W.S.Maugham>

2 : deficient in spirit and courage : SUBMISSIVE, TAME <a fine, fiery blast against meek conformity -- Orville Prescott>

3 : not violent or strong : GENTLE, MODERATE, WEAK <meek rivulet -- Green Peyton>
synonym see HUMBLE

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/unabridged?va=meek

2005-Feb-28, 06:12 AM
I have to agree with both of them, since they are both meanings of the word meek. Many words often have more than one meaning.

kg034
2005-Feb-28, 09:16 AM
Does Meek meen Door mat to you or do you think you can still be strong in your beliefs and life and still be Meek?
New College Dictionary Definition or Meek: 1: Showing great patience and humility.

hmm, in order to understand better what you mean by your question, perhaps you should define what a "door mat" means to you.

Candy
2005-Feb-28, 09:30 AM

hmm, in order to understand better what you mean by your question, perhaps you should define what a "door mat" means to you.
Sorry, didn't mean anything personal by my post.

Staiduk
2005-Feb-28, 12:45 PM
'Meek' doesn't neccessarily meen 'weak'. It just might mean not being too cheek. For instance, if you speak cheek to a sheik, that's certainly not meek 'cause he might freak and bash yer beak. Now if you're an antique, you're more likely to be meek since you creak and occasionally might squeak so if you go 'round speaking cheek your outlook will be decidedly bleak.
So while on the surface being meek might reek, in the long run it's much better than being a freak speaking cheek 'cause getting shot and springing a major leak is pretty bleak and you'll never be a squeaky, creaky antique freak.

So there.