PDA

View Full Version : the log at the center of the universe?

eddie
2005-Feb-28, 04:33 AM
maybe somone here can help me...
there was a short sf story written in the 60s or 70s (i believe) about aliens visiting earth to place a plaque at the center of the universe, which happenend to be on a log in or near a pond where some kids were playing. i think "the log at the center of the universe" was the name of the story, but i'm not sure.

anyone familiar and knows who wrote it? i tried googling to no avail. i want to think it was a mainstream sf author (Asimov, Bradbury, etc.) but i'm not sure. i'd like to find a copy of this story to help illustrate a point in a piece i'm writing.

any help would be greatly appreciated. will check back later. thanks.

Sam5
2005-Feb-28, 04:39 AM
maybe somone here can help me...
there was a short sf story written in the 60s or 70s (i believe) about aliens visiting earth to place a plaque at the center of the universe, which happenend to be on a log in or near a pond where some kids were playing. i think "the log at the center of the universe" was the name of the story, but i'm not sure.

anyone familiar and knows who wrote it? i tried googling to no avail. i want to think it was a mainstream sf author (Asimov, Bradbury, etc.) but i'm not sure. i'd like to find a copy of this story to help illustrate a point in a piece i'm writing.

any help would be greatly appreciated. will check back later. thanks.

Well, doh, you could google "the log at the center of the universe" within quote marks and see what turns up.

LINK (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22the+log+at+the+center+of+the+universe% 22+&btnG=Search&hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1)

eddie
2005-Feb-28, 04:44 AM
thank you. i forgot to use quotation marks when i googled. that's why i came here for help first; i knew someone would help and/or straighten me out quickly.

thank you much, sam!

Sam5
2005-Feb-28, 04:52 AM
thank you. i forgot to use quotation marks when i googled. that's why i came here for help first; i knew someone would help and/or straighten me out quickly.

thank you much, sam!

Yep, looks like it was “After You've Stood on the Log at the Center of the Universe, What Is There Left to Do?” • Grant Carrington • ss Amazing Apr '74

And reprinted in “100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories" ed. Isaac Asimov, Martin H. Greenberg & Joseph D. Olander (Doubleday, 1978, hc)”

eddie
2005-Feb-28, 05:02 AM
yeah, that collection of sf shorts is a great one. i remember checking it out from the library over and over while i was in college. anyone who loves scifi from that era knows that collection. unfortunately, my memeory ain't what it used to be....

now what was i saying??

thanks again for your help.

Maddad
2005-Feb-28, 05:52 AM
It was edited by Asimov, not written by him. Grant Carrington was the author.