PDA

View Full Version : Mathgnosticism

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-14, 04:22 PM
Okay, I'm coming out. I'm a mathgnostic. I don't care what the last digit of \pi is. One number for light speed is good enough for me, whatever the medium.

Okay, shoot me.

:D

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-14, 04:55 PM
Bang?

grant hutchison
2017-Jul-14, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure I get the reference. Seems like a mathgnostic should someone who knows about learning. I'm guessing that's not what you've come out as.

Grant Hutchison

KaiYeves
2017-Jul-14, 05:08 PM
Calvin and Hobbes- "Math Atheist". (http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2011/03/09)

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-14, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure I get the reference. Seems like a mathgnostic should someone who knows about learning. I'm guessing that's not what you've come out as.

Grant Hutchison
I'm riffing on "agnostic", one who is not sure a god or gods exist. I use a calculator to calculate the tip for a $25 tab.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-14, 05:33 PM
Calvin and Hobbes- "Math Atheist". (http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2011/03/09)

My hero. My wife says "role model", but she's all Suzy.

Spacedude
2017-Jul-14, 05:35 PM
I'm a well rounded guy myself.

2017-Jul-14, 05:38 PM
I'm riffing on "agnostic", one who is not sure a god or gods exist. I use a calculator to calculate the tip for a $25 tab.

But it's the "a" in agnostic that makes it about not knowing. You took off the "not".

Maybe you're an amathematician?

My ancient-language knowledge is either hausted or exhausted.

pzkpfw
2017-Jul-14, 06:03 PM

When I was in America, I divided by ten (just shift the decimal) and multiplied by 2 (just add the number to itself).

Everybody got a 20% tip.

grapes
2017-Jul-14, 06:13 PM
But it's the "a" in agnostic that makes it about not knowing. You took off the "not".

Maybe you're an amathematician?

A MeATHan

grant hutchison
2017-Jul-14, 06:18 PM
I'm riffing on "agnostic", one who is not sure a god or gods exist.Ah. Then you need to keep the "a", which is the "not" bit. The "gnostic" is the "knowledge" bit.
Maybe you're anumerate. That could have the same relationship to innumerate (lacking maths skills) as amoral has to immoral. So not a lack of maths skills, but a failure to engage with maths.

Grant Hutchison

CJSF
2017-Jul-14, 06:29 PM
Perhaps you have dyscalculia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia), as I do? Or are you a just a numerophobe?

CJSF

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-14, 06:30 PM
I misread the thread title as relating to something magnetic.

....but I shot anyway...

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-14, 06:57 PM
When I was in America, I divided by ten (just shift the decimal) and multiplied by 2 (just add the number to itself).

Everybody got a 20% tip.

Huh?

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-14, 06:57 PM
Ah. Then you need to keep the "a", which is the "not" bit. The "gnostic" is the "knowledge" bit.
Maybe you're anumerate. That could have the same relationship to innumerate (lacking maths skills) as amoral has to immoral. So not a lack of maths skills, but a failure to engage with maths.

Grant Hutchison

That doesn't add up.

Swift
2017-Jul-14, 07:03 PM
That doesn't add up.
See, you do need math (to add it up). :D

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-14, 07:14 PM
See, you do need math (to add it up). :D

I don't believe I will.

pzkpfw
2017-Jul-14, 07:25 PM
Huh?

You said "I use a calculator to calculate the tip for a $25 tab".

So I just pointed out (for no particular reason, really) how I calculated tips in the U.S.

Given your $25.00 ...

Divide by 10 : just shift the decimal left one place : $2.50

Multiply by 2 : just add to itself : $2.50 + $2.50 = $5.00

$5.00 is 20% of $25.00 ... that's close enough to the 18% that I'd read was "standard" for tipping.

(Divide by 10 and multiply by 2 is the same as divide by 5; which is easy for $25 but harder for me, for other numbers.)

CJSF
2017-Jul-14, 07:27 PM
I think 20% is considered standard now.

CJSF

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-14, 08:17 PM
You said "I use a calculator to calculate the tip for a $25 tab".

So I just pointed out (for no particular reason, really) how I calculated tips in the U.S.

Given your $25.00 ...

Divide by 10 : just shift the decimal left one place : $2.50

Multiply by 2 : just add to itself : $2.50 + $2.50 = $5.00

$5.00 is 20% of $25.00 ... that's close enough to the 18% that I'd read was "standard" for tipping.

(Divide by 10 and multiply by 2 is the same as divide by 5; which is easy for $25 but harder for me, for other numbers.)
Ummm, okay.

pzkpfw
2017-Jul-14, 09:25 PM
Ummm, okay.

Your original "Huh?" made it seem like you didn't understand the math. With this "Ummm, okay." are you indicating you still don't understand, or that you just don't care?

(A learning disability is no shameful thing, and help can be sought. Deliberate ignorance is just a bit sad.)

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-14, 09:54 PM
Your original "Huh?" made it seem like you didn't understand the math. With this "Ummm, okay." are you indicating you still don't understand, or that you just don't care?

(A learning disability is no shameful thing, and help can be sought. Deliberate ignorance is just a bit sad.)
I broke my math bone in high school. It never healed properly.

KaiYeves
2017-Jul-14, 10:50 PM

I broke it when they introduced multiplication and division. It healed over enough for me to learn them eventually but from that point on, I struggled.

pzkpfw
2017-Jul-14, 11:27 PM

I apologise for being a bit snarky, but I put some small effort in trying to help and I found your replies a bit dismissive. If you want me to just drop it, that's cool. Otherwise I can try harder. There's a difference between conditions like dyslexia etc that make things hard for a person, and simply being "put off" math due to some issue (like an angry teacher early in school). If your math bone broke because of something like the second, you could possibly get past it, if you wanted. At least for day to day stuff like 20% tips.

grant hutchison
2017-Jul-15, 12:24 AM
I've often thought that there needed to be a word for the condition of being bad at maths because you've failed to engage with mathematics, in contrast to those who never learned (innumeracy) or who have a neurocognitive problem (dyscalculia). Anumeracy is the best I've come up with.

In our Western society it's oddly OK to be bad at maths, indeed it's even OK to be really bad at simple arithmetic - people can boast about it a little, and poke fun at those who do have maths skills, in a way that wouldn't happen for (say) reading or drawing. I have no idea of the situation of folk on this thread, but our society has made it fairly easy for people to throw their hands in the air early on, deciding they simply can't do maths, and to go through the rest of life "not doing maths".

Grant Hutchison

Trebuchet
2017-Jul-15, 01:14 AM
Okay, I'm coming out. I'm a mathgnostic. I don't care what the last digit of \pi is. One number for light speed is good enough for me, whatever the medium.

Okay, shoot me.

:D

4. That's good enough for me. And no, I'm not rounding up. 3.141592654.

Chuck
2017-Jul-15, 03:45 AM
I've heard that the easy way to calculate a tip is to double the sales tax. That would vary from place to place, though.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-15, 04:51 AM
I broke it when they introduced multiplication and division. It healed over enough for me to learn them eventually but from that point on, I struggled.

I'm mentioning you in my will!

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-15, 04:52 AM
I've often thought that there needed to be a word for the condition of being bad at maths because you've failed to engage with mathematics, in contrast to those who never learned (innumeracy) or who have a neurocognitive problem (dyscalculia). Anumeracy is the best I've come up with.

In our Western society it's oddly OK to be bad at maths, indeed it's even OK to be really bad at simple arithmetic - people can boast about it a little, and poke fun at those who do have maths skills, in a way that wouldn't happen for (say) reading or drawing. I have no idea of the situation of folk on this thread, but our society has made it fairly easy for people to throw their hands in the air early on, deciding they simply can't do maths, and to go through the rest of life "not doing maths".

Grant Hutchison
Mad mangled mathing should be called by a mangled mad made-up word like "mathgnostic".

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-15, 04:53 AM
I've heard that the easy way to calculate a tip is to double the sales tax. That would vary from place to place, though.

Here the sales tax is 7.56%, so that would be $18.32?

Chuck
2017-Jul-15, 05:35 AM
You don't need to know what the tax rate is. When you get your bill with the sales tax already calculated, you approximately double it in your head.

publiusr
2017-Jul-15, 03:59 PM
Math cheaters look to be using this:
https://www.wolframalpha.com/

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-15, 05:27 PM
You don't need to know what the tax rate is. When you get your bill with the sales tax already calculated, you approximately double it in your head.

CJSF
2017-Jul-15, 06:00 PM
I guess it's not terribly important, but I still don't get what the issue is for you, Noisy Rhysling. Do you have a math learning problem, do you just not like numbers/math, or are you lazy about it?

CJSF

Buttercup
2017-Jul-15, 06:31 PM
I'm allergic to numbers. :D

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-15, 07:20 PM
I guess it's not terribly important, but I still don't get what the issue is for you, Noisy Rhysling. Do you have a math learning problem, do you just not like numbers/math, or are you lazy about it?

CJSF
It's not terribly important.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-15, 07:21 PM
I'm allergic to numbers. :D

Have you applied for a disability rating? Parking placard? Special housing?

Cougar
2017-Jul-16, 11:46 AM
Okay, I'm coming out. I'm a mathgnostic. I don't care what the last digit of \pi is.

(With the a before the g) wouldn't that mean that you don't know whether there is a last digit of pi?

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-16, 01:14 PM
(With the a before the g) wouldn't that mean that you don't know whether there is a last digit of pi?

That's several caring levels up for me.

BTW, can anyone tell me how to get my smart phone's calculator to stop calling me an idiot?