PDA

View Full Version : Media device Confusion

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-14, 06:47 PM
I use 2 remote controls for watching TV media... the Cable box remote, and the Xbox one remote.

Thing is, I watch some things on both youtube/Hulu, and cable TV...for instance at midnight with Chris Hardwick, so, I keep getting the 2 remotes confused as to which/what I'm watching.

Is this one of those old person things I should expect as I get older?

swampyankee
2017-Jul-14, 06:50 PM
I use 2 remote controls... the Cable box remote, and the Xbox one remote for watching TV media.

Thing is, I watch some things on both youtube/Hulu, and cable TV...for instance at midnight with Chris Hardwick, so, I keep getting the 2 remotes confused as to which/what I'm watching.

Is this one of those old person things I should expect as I get older?

No. It's because the people who design remotes make them all look the same.

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-14, 07:07 PM
No, that's the point. The xbox controller is a "standard" video game controller, while the cable box controller is a "standard" TV remote controller.

They couldn't be more different, and I shouldn't in any way confuse the 2.

pzkpfw
2017-Jul-14, 07:30 PM
In the U.S. (that seems a topic for me this morning) I bought the media remote for our PS-3, as we use it to watch Netflix. I am continually picking it up and being surprised that I press left and the cursor goes right. Somehow, I pick it up upside down more than 50% of the time. (Confirmation bias well in effect).

grapes
2017-Jul-14, 08:42 PM
In the U.S. (that seems a topic for me this morning) I bought the media remote for our PS-3, as we use it to watch Netflix. I am continually picking it up and being surprised that I press left and the cursor goes right. Somehow, I pick it up upside down more than 50% of the time. (Confirmation bias well in effect).

Just look for the NO button, and turn it over...

swampyankee
2017-Jul-14, 11:04 PM
Just look for the NO button, and turn it over...

But then all the buttons are on the back.

Jim
2017-Jul-15, 01:52 AM
... Is this one of those old person things I should expect as I get older?

I wouldn't worry until you try to change the channel with your cellphone or answer a call on your remote.

DonM435
2017-Jul-15, 02:55 AM
I wouldn't worry until you try to change the channel with your cellphone or answer a call on your remote.

Long ago I'd have my Texas Instruments programmable calculator on the table beside my old-fashioned bulky cable TV remote, and might pick up the wrong one.

Imagine choosing Channel Pi and getting a program from another dimension!

swampyankee
2017-Jul-15, 12:37 PM
Long ago I'd have my Texas Instruments programmable calculator on the table beside my old-fashioned bulky cable TV remote, and might pick up the wrong one.

Imagine choosing Channel Pi and getting a program from another dimension!

Isn't Channel \pi the Math Channel?

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-15, 02:05 PM

At least I'm "safe" on that, since I only use a land line...I do have a hand-me-down older cell phone which I never use.

DonM435
2017-Jul-15, 02:40 PM

On the old analog UHF tuners, you had to dial some channels down to several decimal places, it seemed. Only a safecracker could get a clear picture in those days.

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-15, 02:50 PM
On the old analog UHF tuners, you had to dial some channels down to several decimal places, it seemed. Only a safecracker could get a clear picture in those days.

Ah, the good ole' days. :)

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-15, 02:56 PM
No it is the baking channel.

Solfe
2017-Jul-15, 08:25 PM
My VCR still flashes 12:00. I have a feeling it's just how I work. ;)

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-15, 09:53 PM
you still have a VCR?

grapes
2017-Jul-15, 11:39 PM
No it is the baking channel.
baklava?

DonM435
2017-Jul-16, 02:40 AM
My VCR still flashes 12:00. I have a feeling it's just how I work. ;)

Hmm ... I guess that Jerry Springer should have had his show scheduled for "12:00 Flashing" so that even his fans could have managed to record it!

Gillianren
2017-Jul-16, 02:30 PM
you still have a VCR?

I still have one. I need to make arrangements with a friend--he's got one of those devices that transfers VHS to digital but no VCR, and I have tapes that need backed up but no device.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-17, 09:55 AM
I have a vcr too I but I don't think mine works anymore. I have one those devices two, tried using a camcorder to transfer stuff but didn't work. VCRs are becoming rare that is all I meant.