PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic... with citation

Solfe
2017-Jul-31, 04:21 PM
Here is a thread for profoundly off topic posts. These are comments that perhaps don't warrant their own thread.

I saw the thread about turning a white wall into a mirror (https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?166094-Could-you-use-software-and-a-sensitive-equipment-to-turn-a-white-wall-into-a-mirror). The first thing that popped into my head was a private school for children with autism that hired a photographer to take pictures. They asked the photographer to mess with the pictures and make them look ominous. The gist was, lighting and shadows were bothering the children as they walked the halls and they used the ominous images to correct this with paint, curtains and better lighting.

For the most part it worked. One hall defied modification, it was very long and ended in a stairway. At certain times of the day, the glare from the sun would turn people into black forms. The solution to that issue was to walk with the sun to your back and never the other way around. Annoying, but helpful.

WaxRubiks
2017-Aug-01, 04:46 AM
I just had the idea that you could ice a cake with a QRC pattern, that provides a link to a 'Happy Birthday' song video.

Solfe
2017-Aug-01, 05:43 AM
I just had the idea that you could ice a cake with a QRC pattern, that provides a link to a 'Happy Birthday' song video.

That would be cool! Even better, if you buried a tablet in the surface of the cake to play the video.

WaxRubiks
2017-Aug-01, 09:04 AM
or an augmented reality, on a tablet, that used the QRC pattern to centre the video on the screen.

Then it could be 3D with the Sesame St characters singing it.

WaxRubiks
2017-Aug-01, 10:37 AM
I was wondering if it would be too difficult, software wise, to do Augmented reality caricatures, that turn people's faces into caricatures, in real time.

I saw a program on TV where a software program made wire-frame caricatures using an average face(based on 100 people or so) and exaggerated the features based upon that......bit of an ask for a iphone in real time, based upon a single camera lens, I suppose.

Grey
2017-Aug-02, 02:46 PM
I just had the idea that you could ice a cake with a QRC pattern, that provides a link to a 'Happy Birthday' song video.Alas, it looks like it's already been done (http://qreateandtrack.com/2012/08/15/make-your-cake-personal-with-qr-codes/).

WaxRubiks
2017-Aug-02, 02:52 PM
not the augmented reality Sesame St cake though..? :D

Nicolas
2017-Aug-02, 03:02 PM
The entire cake could be augmented reality. Just a plate with a QR code and a pair of VR goggles.

Not sure if I'd be fun at parties.

WaxRubiks
2017-Aug-02, 03:02 PM
https://youtu.be/U2jSzmvm_WA

:D

grant hutchison
2017-Aug-02, 03:24 PM
I think Augmented Reality should perhaps have been called Decremented Reality, since it generally seems to produce an experience that's more unpleasant than baseline reality.

Grant Hutchison

WaxRubiks
2017-Aug-02, 03:30 PM
When everyone has augmented glasses, watch out for the adverts...!

Solfe
2017-Aug-03, 01:12 AM
Strangely, the (edit) VR products don't sell as toys very well. I have seen several iterations flop horribly. The flops were hard, very hard. As in whole departments canned.

WaxRubiks
2017-Aug-05, 10:06 AM
Anyone here ever done fire-breathing?

I tried it years ago; a mouth full of paraffin and then spray it out past some kind of flame....quite fun. You can practice the spraying technique with water.

grant hutchison
2017-Aug-05, 12:42 PM
Anyone here ever done fire-breathing?No, but I have treated a man with nasty face and chest burns who did try it. He was also vomiting a lot, which is a bad combination with mouth burns.

Grant Hutchison

WaxRubiks
2017-Aug-05, 12:44 PM
No, but I have treated a man with nasty face and chest burns who did try it. He was also vomiting a lot, which is a bad combination with mouth burns.

Grant Hutchison

had he been drinking?

grant hutchison
2017-Aug-05, 01:26 PM
had he been drinking?Not alcohol, no.He'd swallowed a reasonable proportion of his mouthful of paraffin, having choked on it during the early phases of what then turned into a "blow back", with burning paraffin spilling on his clothes and face. There was also a degree of panic involved.

Grant Hutchison

Solfe
2017-Aug-05, 02:11 PM
I had a trick where I would seeming drink a flaming shot. I was actually palming the shot out before it got to my mouth. It seemed like a good idea until my best friend tried to copy it. I slapped it out of his hand. This trick was pay back for a trick he pulled on me earlier in the evening.

The same friend had a Honda motorcycle with a kick start. The kick start lever was broken but he'd still would let people try to kick start it. They'd fail, and he would "show them how it was done". He would point down at the lever, which hid the motion of pressing the on button. If someone seemed to wise to what was happening, he'd have the bike in gear and scoot away. After a few tries, he'd let the person in on the gag so as to set up the next person.

I figured it out before I took a turn. That was funny because several other people were in on his gag, and they were convinced that it was really working for me. I put the bike in neutral, fidget with my jacket then point down at the lever with my right hand. I used my left hand to "steady" the bike when I kicked it, which hid the pressing of the button. Since I had motorcycle, I would sit there pointing out different features and facts about the bike instead of roaring away. That almost had my friend convinced that it was working for me. Until he realized that I was saying his bike was better than mine, which was simply not something I would say.

Me and my friend are pretty good at shenanigans, which often escalates/devolves into one-ups-manship.

slang
2017-Aug-07, 07:06 PM
And as the cold killer in "North by Northwest"

Which was only mentioned in 3 of the 5, not all, preceding posts, so I suppose one may be excused for missing it.

grant hutchison
2017-Aug-07, 08:01 PM
Which was only mentioned in 3 of the 5, not all, preceding posts, so I suppose one may be excused for missing it.I'm guessing that was intended for the Martin Landau thread?
(Where the same thought crossed my mind.)

Grant Hutchison

slang
2017-Aug-07, 08:24 PM
I'm guessing that was intended for the Martin Landau thread?

Well, it was off-topic, or at least wasteful, there. Doesn't quite merit its own thread either. Has a citation. I tried.