PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Moore interview

Nick
2005-Feb-28, 11:21 PM
A very good read and insight into the UK Astronomer Patrick Moore today in the Independent newspaper:

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/story.jsp?story=615343

Nick

Ian R
2005-Mar-01, 01:09 AM
Although I tend to disagree with his politics and some of his other comments, I'm a big admirer of Sir Pat.

Thanks for posting the link.

frogesque
2005-Mar-01, 08:45 AM
Sir Patric has always had that enthusiastic, slightly 'dotty' bit of the English eccentric about him. Very lovable despite some of his political views. He probably has done more for popularising astronomy in Britain than anyone else. Sky at Night was compulsive watching for me when I was a kid.

TriangleMan
2005-Mar-01, 12:33 PM
Does he believe in an afterlife? "Ask me again in 10 years and I'll tell you. Ha ha ha."
Definately has a sense of humour, though it is a shame about the xenophobia.

ngc3314
2005-Mar-01, 01:39 PM
Sir Patric has always had that enthusiastic, slightly 'dotty' bit of the English eccentric about him. Very lovable despite some of his political views. He probably has done more for popularising astronomy in Britain than anyone else. Sky at Night was compulsive watching for me when I was a kid.

And popularizing at least throughout the English-reading world. My father brought home a couple of the "Sky at Night" books when I was veryyoung, no doubt contributing to my professional delinquency. I was delighted to have the chance to tell Sir Patrick this at an IAU meeting in The Hague. Had to work up my nerve to approach someone that well-known... He said that he rather enjoyed his odd status in the field - not professional, not quite amateur, known to everyone, and able to say things with no thought of whether they might have favorable or unfavorable repercussions for any entrenched interests.

Nick
2005-Mar-01, 05:37 PM
I think he is entitled to be xenophobic - most people his age era are. WWII in the UK is forgotten now.

He was a rear gunner on the bombers - and I think the return expectancy was around 10% for them young men. Many never lived past 18 years old.

He was on a mission when his sweetheart to be was killed in an air raid. He has always said he will never, ever forgive Germany for what they did to the people of this country.

So as I say, he is to be expected and repected for his views, as I am pretty sure not any of us will ever have to live through that era again.

I liked the quote about 'That damn machine!" :D

Nick

JohnD
2005-Mar-02, 12:52 AM
And an astonishingly hard working, nice man.

Some time ago, I wrote to his long-term record-breaking BBC programme The Sky at Night (1957- still going strong every month) to ask if he would tell me where I could buy poster prints of some astounding astronomic colour photos he had shown. This was long before Hubble. I was astounded to receive a letter from the great man, under his own address, regretting that the pics were prints given him by the Siding Springs observatory and he had none he could give me! Astounding because he had written the letter himself, on his cranky old typewriter, with higgledypiggledy characters and wobbly lines. No form letter replies for Patrick Moore; at that time at least he did all his own fan mail!

More to read by and about him on the BBC's website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/spaceguide/skyatnight/patrickmoore_article.shtml

John