PDA

View Full Version : Terry Pratchett's wish fulfilled - unpublished work destroyed by steam roller

schlaugh
2017-Aug-31, 02:32 PM
This is so very Terry Pratchett, wanting his unpublished work to remain that way.

Terry Pratchett’s Unpublished Work Crushed by Steamroller (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/books/terry-pratchett-steamroller-unpublished-work.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=15&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2017%2F0 8%2F30%2Fbooks%2Fterry-pratchett-steamroller-unpublished-work.html&eventName=Watching-article-click)

Terry Pratchett, the well-known British fantasy author, had a wish fulfilled two years after his death: A hard drive containing his unpublished work was destroyed by steamroller.

Mr. Pratchett, a wildly popular fantasy novelist who wrote more than 70 books, including the “Discworld” series, died at 66 in 2015. That year his friend, the writer Neil Gaiman, told The Times of London that Mr. Pratchett had wanted “whatever he was working on at the time of his death to be taken out along with his computers, to be put in the middle of a road and for a steamroller to steamroll over them all.” Mr. Gaiman added at the time that he was glad this hadn’t happened. Now, though, it has.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Aug-31, 02:42 PM
Should have had four elephants stand on it. Then it would have been Hard Disk World.

schlaugh
2017-Aug-31, 02:55 PM
:clap::clap:

DonM435
2017-Aug-31, 03:58 PM
I believe that Harlan Ellison said he'd have that done to his unfinished stuff after he's gone. However, he's staying around, probably just to annoy his critics.

Solfe
2017-Aug-31, 04:17 PM
I believe that Harlan Ellison said he'd have that done to his unfinished stuff after he's gone. However, he's staying around, probably just to annoy his critics.

Annoy? Fight with them most likely. :)

I love Harlan Ellison, but man, he does some harsh and angry things.

Gillianren
2017-Aug-31, 04:41 PM
I'm heartbroken but sympathetic.

NorthernDevo
2017-Sep-01, 12:04 AM
I'm heartbroken but sympathetic.

Heartbreaking is right - so many lost stories; unimaginable worlds that will never be seen. But my God what a beautiful ending; how superbly fitting. Sir Terry wrote his own ending, then insured that it would BE an ending. Marvellous, beautiful and wonderfully ironic Pratchett style: black humour, pointed sarcasm and childish delight. :)

WaxRubiks
2017-Sep-01, 12:40 AM
I think Franz Kafka asked for all his writing to be burnt after his death...but it didn't happen luckily.

DonM435
2017-Sep-01, 02:18 AM
Just shows why you shouldn't keep backups if you're like-minded ...

publiusr
2017-Sep-01, 05:07 PM
Now to be buried with all the ET games...

DaveC426913
2017-Sep-02, 03:58 AM
CQ needs a LIKE button...