PDA

View Full Version : 1967 batteries vs 2017 batteries

Tom Mazanec
2017-Sep-28, 01:59 PM
How are the batteries I might buy in a drug store different from the batteries I might have bought there as a child? How much better are they?

2017-Sep-28, 02:44 PM
What did you buy in 1967? Zinc-carbon batteries? Ugh. Alkalines began to be available late '60s, more early '70s.

There are plenty of battery-history articles on the Web.

nota
2017-Sep-28, 07:02 PM
zink vs Alkalines 3 to4 time more depends on use rates
zink vs Li rechargeable maybe 10 or more times the power but different volts per cell plus reuse but cost alot more

profloater
2017-Sep-28, 07:55 PM
I think in 1967 HT batteries at 67.5 volts were still around for valve (tube) radios and portable amplifiers. You don't see so many valves now but the miniature and subminiature types were rather beautiful. Those zinc carbon stacks worked rather well at the time. It's all relative.

Trebuchet
2017-Sep-28, 10:05 PM
I think in 1967 HT batteries at 67.5 volts were still around for valve (tube) radios and portable amplifiers. You don't see so many valves now but the miniature and subminiature types were rather beautiful. Those zinc carbon stacks worked rather well at the time. It's all relative.

When I was young I had a really nice portable radio with one of those big batteries, although I recall it being 70-some volts. My friends and I liked to dare each other to touch the terminals to our tongues. It was about the size and weight of half a brick, cut lengthwise. Now that I think of it, our first cell phone had batteries about that size as well, as did our first camcorder. Lead-acid rechargeables in both cases.

One of the great improvements in modern batteries is that they don't leak and ruin your stuff near so often.