PDA

View Full Version : Sputnik 1 Anniversary

Jim
2017-Oct-04, 11:36 AM
Today is the 60th anniversary of the launch of Sputnik 1, the world's first artificial satellite, marking the beginning of the space age.

Hurtling unseen, hundreds of miles from the earth, a polished metal sphere the size of a beach ball passed over the world's continents and oceans one day last week. As it circled the globe for the first time, traveling at 18,000 m.p.h., the U.S. was blissfully unaware that a new era in history had begun, opening a bright new chapter in mankind's conquest of the natural environment ...

http://time.com/4958422/sputnik-1957-report/

Fun Facts (https://www.space.com/38331-sputnik-satellite-fun-facts.html)

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Oct-04, 12:27 PM
And all it did was transmit a "beep". Good enough to get the US into high gear, however.

Swift
2017-Oct-04, 01:24 PM
As a kid, a casual dividing line in the US population seemed to be born before/after Sputnik (I'm after by about a year). Now, such a large percentage of the population was only born in the "space age", it doesn't seem as significant.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Oct-04, 01:41 PM
As a kid, a casual dividing line in the US population seemed to be born before/after Sputnik (I'm after by about a year). Now, such a large percentage of the population was only born in the "space age", it doesn't seem as significant.

You think that's bad? In four years anyone not born in this century can legally drink.

Swift
2017-Oct-04, 02:49 PM
You think that's bad? In four years anyone not born in this century can legally drink.
No, I don't think any of that is bad. I don't fault anyone for being born when they were born. I'm just noting that Sputnik was a big marker in my early life, as were the moon landings (in some ways those two bracket my early childhood). I know that people both younger and older than me have different markers, some space/astronomy related, some not.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Oct-04, 03:00 PM
No, I don't think any of that is bad. I don't fault anyone for being born when they were born. I'm just noting that Sputnik was a big marker in my early life, as were the moon landings (in some ways those two bracket my early childhood). I know that people both younger and older than me have different markers, some space/astronomy related, some not.

Jocular tone implication fail on my part.

Swift
2017-Oct-04, 03:06 PM
Jocular tone implication fail on my part.
No, I kind of thought you were being jocular (good word). Sometimes I'm entirely too serious.

Along the lines of both young people and too serious, I've always liked this quote from Tom Lehrer:

It is a sobering thought that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for two years.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Oct-04, 03:42 PM
No, I kind of thought you were being jocular (good word). Sometimes I'm entirely too serious.

Along the lines of both young people and too serious, I've always liked this quote from Tom Lehrer:

I used to be that way, but they revoked my curmudgeon card when I laughed at SNL.

profloater
2017-Oct-04, 07:00 PM
I was 8 in 1954 when Roger Bannister Broke the four minute mile, it was the first "international" event to impinge. The next was Sputnik unless I cheat and research what happened.

geonuc
2017-Oct-05, 11:08 AM

Yes. Such markers tend to shift as time passes, I'd say. For people my age (and yours), I would have said the assassination of Kennedy was the significant marker. Followed by the moon landings, death of John Lennon, Challenger explosion, fall of the Berlin wall, 9-11 attacks, etc. Obviously only noting a few.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Oct-05, 12:51 PM
One of my relatives, of my generation, recently said "I hope nobody ruins Thanksgiving this year. I'll never forgive Kennedy for that."