PDA

View Full Version : Help save Earth!

samseed
2005-Mar-04, 12:47 AM
Want to stop global warning, extend daylight hours, and create a more homogenous climate? Then click on the link below and you can help change Earth!

http://www.venehammerschlag.com/worldjumpday/frame_content.html

Lol, are these people serious? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I think it's just an elaborate scam to get a list of working email address that can then be sold to spammers. (Told you I was paranoid.)

**Now crosses his fingers, hoping not to get ToSeeked**

ToSeek
2005-Mar-04, 12:53 AM
Too late! (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20027)

samseed
2005-Mar-04, 12:54 AM
Too late! (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20027)
Bah! See why I stay lurking for months on end!?!?

See you guys in 2006. Wish mme luck then!
:wink:

skrap1r0n
2005-Mar-04, 03:36 PM
ok well I entered a crap email address just to see what was up.

Now I have a question, what would happen if everyone on the earth jumped at the same time? Forget for a second that the logistics would be impossible.

IF everyone jumped at the exact same time? If you figure roughly that the average weight for humans would be say 150 lbs and there are about 6million people, then your talking about 450 million tons that would be removed from the planet for a split second. What would that do?

Now that also bears a question. If your in the air, are you still adding mass to the planet or do you have to be completely clear of the planet?

Arkyan
2005-Mar-04, 05:10 PM
Well when you consider that the mass of all those six billion people is roughly 0.0000000000068% of the Earth's mass, my guess is the end result is ... absolutely nothing.

Russ
2005-Mar-04, 06:29 PM
Hey Skrap: You're off by a few orders of magnitude. :lol: 6 Million is about 3/4 of the population of NYC (8). The world population is about 6 Billion with a B. :lol: Re-do the math with the correct data. :D

ToSeek
2005-Mar-04, 06:35 PM
Hey Skrap: You're off by a few orders of magnitude. :lol: 6 Million is about 3/4 of the population of NYC (8). The world population is about 6 Billion with a B. :lol: Re-do the math with the correct data. :D

His result is right - he just mistyped the population figure.

Van Rijn
2005-Mar-04, 09:10 PM
Now I have a question, what would happen if everyone on the earth jumped at the same time? Forget for a second that the logistics would be impossible.

The mass is so small and so spread out, nothing much would happen. Instead, consider bouncing a mountain a few feet off the ground - Everest perhaps. The effect would be a very big earthquake from the release of the energy it took to lift the mountain, but there would be no net change in Earth's momentum.

Now that also bears a question. If your in the air, are you still adding mass to the planet or do you have to be completely clear of the planet?

You and the atmosphere add to the mass of the planet.

kg034
2005-Mar-05, 07:24 AM
ok well I entered a crap email address just to see what was up.

IF everyone jumped at the exact same time? If you figure roughly that the average weight for humans would be say 150 lbs and there are about 6million people, then your talking about 450 million tons that would be removed from the planet for a split second. What would that do?

Already ToSeeked here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=419798&highlight=whimper#419798)

short answer: BIIIIIG .....................nothing 8)

Lets have some more fun with the numbers.....suppose that all of the planet, 6bil people, at my favorite average weight of a 100kilo (a huge exaggeration, but you couldn't tell it in the us ;) were jump up at the same time with the initial velocity of 10m/s (good luck getting this one, even if you're not 100kg :), the total momentum is:
6E12 Ns

Earth's mass: 6E24kg, orbital velocity: 28km/s.......Total linear momentum: 1.7E29Ns....Difference in scale of: 10^17....

Swift
2005-Mar-06, 05:27 AM
The biggest effect of all the people on Earth jumping at once would be that all the dogs on Earth would look at the people with their heads tilted to the side, then would all start barking at once and jumping up on the jumping people.

This conclusion was determined by extrapolating from a single datapoint... what my dog used to do when I would jump up and down. QED.
:wink: