PDA

View Full Version : Spamalot

Grey
2005-Mar-04, 11:13 PM
Monty Python on Broadway (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4521465)

:o

Candy
2005-Mar-04, 11:27 PM
Azaria was among those enthralled by the daffy charms of Holy Grail as a child. He recalls: "I remember being, like, 13 and getting a hold of some published script version of Monty Python and The Holy Grail and literally being thrown out of math class, 'cause we were memorizing it in the back row and giggling."
I didn't discover Monty Python, until 1985 (right out of high school). :lol:

Normandy6644
2005-Mar-04, 11:39 PM
That's so awesome. I've been looking forward to this for awhile, having been a Monty Python fan since I was around 13 (which is only 7 years, but still!). I can't wait to see it!

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Mar-05, 03:11 PM
Check out the interview (six minutes into it), for the demo of Eric Idle singing The Song That Goes Like This. :)

tmosher
2005-Mar-06, 06:05 AM
If you want a good shock, take a look at the prices the ticket agencies are charging for the show.

According to the Shubert's website, normal prices are between $36 and 101 - on some sites, I'm seeing $225 to $250 for orchestra seating. Yikes!

Donnie B.
2005-Mar-06, 03:28 PM
Check out the interview (six minutes into it), for the demo of Eric Idle singing The Song That Goes Like This. :)

If it's the same interview I heard, he also sings the Universe Song at the end. (Of the interview, not the universe!) :wink:

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Mar-06, 04:21 PM

If it's the same interview I heard, he also sings the Universe Song at the end. (Of the interview, not the universe!) :wink:
I heard it on Friday (3/4/05, hey!), but I didn't notice the universe song. A link to the interview is at the top of the page Grey linked to.

Swift
2005-Mar-07, 04:02 PM
If you want a good shock, take a look at the prices the ticket agencies are charging for the show.

According to the Shubert's website, normal prices are between $36 and 101 - on some sites, I'm seeing $225 to $250 for orchestra seating. Yikes!
That's pretty typical for Broadway, if I understand. The CBS News Magazine "Sunday Morning" (great show) had a segment about Spamalot and David Hyde Pierce this past sunday.

I've been a fan since about 1975, during High School, when PBS started showing the TV program in the US. I have a good chunk of Holly Grail memorized. Just this morning, talking about a problem at work, I started in with "Other kings said it was daft to build a castle in a swamp, but I did it anyway, just to show them... it sank into the swamp".

Grey
2005-Mar-07, 05:20 PM
"So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up!"

Candy
2005-Mar-07, 05:54 PM
Brings back memories. :lol:

Wally
2005-Mar-07, 05:56 PM
Been a big fan of MP myself for decades. A friend and I "discovered" them when we were freshmen in high school. Luckily, our English teacher was a fan as well, and we convinced her to show the Holy Grail in class before Christmas break.

. . . while my friend, my teacher and I laughed our butts off, most of the rest of the class just chuckled in a few places. The humor, along with the accents, just didn't seem to click with the majority.

Guess there's no accounting for (bad) taste! :lol:

Candy
2005-Mar-07, 06:01 PM
The humor, along with the accents, just didn't seem to click with the majority.
Some people just don't get English humor! One of our V.P.'s is from England, and he is just hilarious without even trying. Such a gift. :D

Swift
2005-Mar-07, 07:14 PM
"So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up!"
"And that's what you're going to get lad, the strongest castle in these isles"

Donnie B.
2005-Mar-08, 12:42 AM

I heard it on Friday (3/4/05, hey!), but I didn't notice the universe song. A link to the interview is at the top of the page Grey linked to.
Nope, different NPR show. I heard a "Fresh Air" on Feb. 18 that replayed a 1999 interview with Idle. That's the one with the "Universe Song" at the end. Here's a link:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4504629