PDA

View Full Version : New Super Fat Food

Sammy
2005-Mar-05, 04:33 AM
Just heard about a new super bad (but I suspect delicious) "snack." Snopes.Com (http://www.snopes.com/food/origins/luther.asp) has a post about the "Luther Burger."

It was supposedly invented by Luther Vandross. Take a juicy bacon cheeseburger and serve it on split Krispy Kreme doughnut instead of a bun.

The also mention a "Hamdog," which may have even more artery clogging power: a hot dog wrapped in a beef patty that's deep fried, covered with chili, cheese and onions, and served on a hoagie bun topped with a fried egg and two fistfuls of fries. #-o

I never though that White Castle may be a healthy alternative.....

Wolverine
2005-Mar-05, 04:52 AM
That's just nasty... :o

tmosher
2005-Mar-05, 05:34 AM
Just reading about a hamdog is making my arteries clog.

As a side note - the number of obese workers at the plant is one of the high priority items in HR.

Reacher
2005-Mar-05, 06:16 AM
That hamdog sounds a lot more appetising than it looks. :-&
And trust me, it doesn't sound too appetising.

I've got a craving for a Luther burger now, though.

2005-Mar-05, 08:22 AM
Bill Maher's HBO show just had a fake commercial from "Carl's Sr.". They showed a special burger being built, something like:

A 12-inch bun
An 8-pound hamburger patty
Cheese
Bacon
Onions
Pickles
Another 8-pound patty
Chili
4 whole regular hamburgers
Scrambled eggs
Two tacos
Topped with apple strudel
And the top bun

It was the size of a wedding cake.

I forget what they called it.

It looked pretty good!

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Mar-07, 06:24 AM
BUT -- snopes has the pictures to back its nominee...

According to the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub web site, the monster burger contains

# Six pounds of meat

# Two whole tomatoes

# A half-head of lettuce

# 12 slices of American cheese

# A full cup of peppers

# Two entire onions

# A river of mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard

The whole thing weighs eleven pounds...and in January 2005, a little 100-pound slip of a girl actually finished one off in less than three hours!!! (http://www.snopes.com/photos/commercials/bigburger.asp)

Zachary
2005-Mar-07, 07:53 AM
BUT -- snopes has the pictures to back its nominee...

According to the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub web site, the monster burger contains

# Six pounds of meat

# Two whole tomatoes

# A half-head of lettuce

# 12 slices of American cheese

# A full cup of peppers

# Two entire onions

# A river of mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard

The whole thing weighs eleven pounds...and in January 2005, a little 100-pound slip of a girl actually finished one off in less than three hours!!! (http://www.snopes.com/photos/commercials/bigburger.asp)

Correction, 111 pound slip of a girl :P

Sammy
2005-Mar-07, 05:00 PM
Correction, 111 pound slip of a girl

Not after eating that thing!

It's amazing to me that several of the winners of competitive eating contests are frequently slender, if not actually skinny. The last three or four winners of the big Nathan's hot dog eating contests in NYC have been very slender Japanese men who demolished competitors built like (obese) lumberjacks.

Doodler
2005-Mar-07, 05:37 PM

It's amazing to me that several of the winners of competitive eating contests are frequently slender, if not actually skinny. The last three or four winners of the big Nathan's hot dog eating contests in NYC have been very slender Japanese men who demolished competitors built like (obese) lumberjacks.

Metabolism rules every time.

Demigrog
2005-Mar-07, 05:49 PM

Metabolism rules every time.

I doubt metabolism enters into it-- elasticity is probably a bigger factor. :)

farmerjumperdon
2005-Mar-07, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty lean myself, but back in college I crushed the competition by eating 3 9-inch cream pies in about 40 seconds (no hands allowed). It's all about technique, since I do not think fat people have any bigger stomach than not-fat people. The price paid for my trophy winning effort was the feeling the stuff turned into cement in my gut though. My abdomen felt like one big lump of clay until things worked their way out, . . . so to speak. :o

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-07, 06:29 PM
It's all about technique, since I do not think fat people have any bigger stomach than not-fat people.
I think they do, actually. Isn't it true that the stomach expands if you habitually eat a lot? Is that just a myth?

When they invent a food that causes you to gain more than the weight of what you consumed, we're all gonna be in trouble!

farmerjumperdon
2005-Mar-07, 07:05 PM
I would think a little stomach-stretching would take place, but not enough to make a person a lock for winning a gorging contest. I'll bet that more than anythung, it has to do with how much discomfort, or downright pain, you can tolerate.

Let's see if an expert rings in with more info.

BTW, after watching Cool Hand Luke, we got into a debate over how realistic the egg-eating scene was. The discussion escalated and it turned into a bet. We negotiated to 36 eggs in 50 minutes. I think in the movie it was 60 in an hour?

Anyway, I did it, and just barely. The first dozen went down very fast, the 2nd dozen almost as quickly. Then things slowed way down. At the end it actually hurt to swallow. The next couple BM's were unbelievable. Almost as bad as the time I accidentally drank a bunch of kerosene.

How about a Weird-Things-You've-Consumed thread?

Brady Yoon
2005-Mar-08, 02:06 AM
I would think a little stomach-stretching would take place, but not enough to make a person a lock for winning a gorging contest. I'll bet that more than anythung, it has to do with how much discomfort, or downright pain, you can tolerate.

Let's see if an expert rings in with more info.

BTW, after watching Cool Hand Luke, we got into a debate over how realistic the egg-eating scene was. The discussion escalated and it turned into a bet. We negotiated to 36 eggs in 50 minutes. I think in the movie it was 60 in an hour?

Anyway, I did it, and just barely. The first dozen went down very fast, the 2nd dozen almost as quickly. Then things slowed way down. At the end it actually hurt to swallow. The next couple BM's were unbelievable. Almost as bad as the time I accidentally drank a bunch of kerosene.

How about a Weird-Things-You've-Consumed thread?

One egg has 70% of daily cholesterol limits... That's like enough cholesterol for almost a month!

Wow... i wish i had the guts to do something like this.

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Mar-08, 02:54 AM
...Wow... i wish i had the guts to do something like this.

A couple dozen Grade A's for practice, and you will... :o

Bender
2005-Mar-08, 06:15 AM
Weird things eaten?

How about kangaroo? No, not a whole kangaroo, just a good sized steak from a hind leg.

It was like eating wet paper towel soaked in 90 weight gear lube. Tasted pretty bad too, but I was REALLY hungry, and no, I don't want to go into it any further... [-(

EvilBob
2005-Mar-08, 06:30 AM
Weird things eaten?

How about kangaroo? No, not a whole kangaroo, just a good sized steak from a hind leg.

It was like eating wet paper towel soaked in 90 weight gear lube. Tasted pretty bad too, but I was REALLY hungry, and no, I don't want to go into it any further... [-(

I've had Kangaroo - mind you it was in a very nice restaurant. It tasted pretty much like lamb, only very tender, but at the same time slightly rubbery....

Bender
2005-Mar-08, 07:00 AM
Weird things eaten?

I've had Kangaroo - mind you it was in a very nice restaurant. It tasted pretty much like lamb, only very tender, but at the same time slightly rubbery....

You sound like you were quite a step up on me, my roo was cooked over a campfire, and I do NOT want to know where it came from.

Rubbery doesn't begin to describe what I had, I would have had an easier time eating one of my motorcycle tires. The old jaw got quite a workout.

Perhaps roo doesn't travel very well, or perhaps I had something from a zoo. I didn't want to know then, I don't want to know now! :-?

Evan
2005-Mar-08, 07:14 AM
The traditional first meal served to new army recruits when I was in basic training. SOS. Stands for S**t On a Shingle. It is boiled minced beef (maybe) with unidentifiable sauce component ladled upon a piece of burnt toast.

Sammy
2005-Mar-08, 07:20 PM
The traditional first meal served to new army recruits when I was in basic training. SOS. Stands for S**t On a Shingle. It is boiled minced beef (maybe) with unidentifiable sauce component ladled upon a piece of burnt toast.

Not in my days (60s)! Army SOS was better than any I ever got in a resturant. It was ground beef, sauted, and served in a creamy white sauce (primarily milk. flour, and butter). It was served on toasted (light brown) bread or a biscuit. Scrumptious!

Either standards have changed, or your mess cook needs a new MOS!

Evan
2005-Mar-08, 07:36 PM
Yeah, late 60s at Fort Lewis. I was not impressed.

Sammy
2005-Mar-09, 05:17 AM
Yeah, late 60s at Fort Lewis. I was not impressed.

I was in 3 or 4 years earlier. had it at Forts Leonard Wood, Riley, Knox, and Bragg, and was always pleased. A local diner serves an OK version, but not as good as the Army's! Of course, I love White Castle burgers also....

paulie jay
2005-Mar-09, 05:53 AM
Weird things eaten?

Gee, there really are better ways to prepare kangaroo!! It's pretty common in restaurants over here, as is emu. Kangaroo is a darker red meat than steak, but it's not a million miles away taste-wise.

The butcher across the street from me sells crocodile...

spelling edit

Evan
2005-Mar-09, 06:48 AM
Back east in the US they serve a product in greasy spoons called "Scrapple". Think ingredients not good enough for spam. I had scrapple and eggs, once.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-May-16, 05:06 PM
Not in my days (60s)! Army SOS was better than any I ever got in a resturant.
You order it in restaurants?

A local diner serves an OK version, but not as good as the Army's!
yeah you do!

Back east in the US they serve a product in greasy spoons called "Scrapple". Think ingredients not good enough for spam. I had scrapple and eggs, once.
Scrapple, the scraps left after a hog butcher, after using the lard, feet, snout, and brains, or not. Cp. haggis, pon hoss.

Kebsis
2005-May-16, 05:30 PM
I don't know about you guys but I think I'm gonna go make myself a Hamdog. It sounds like something out of an apocalyptic future genetic experiment.