PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Completion

pzkpfw
2017-Dec-12, 06:22 PM
So I'm getting near the end of The Next Generation, and I realise I may kind of miss it. And given my current personal circumstances, wonder if maybe I should just "complete" Start Trek before starting back on some of the more current things I need to catch up on. (Like Discovery).

Netflix here has everything, so I could start Enterprise, then do TOS (maybe skip episodes I remember strongly), the cartoon, (skip doing TNG again), then DS9 and Voyager.

Is that madness? As in, should only a true ST fanatic (which I'm not) do this?

What order should DS9 and Voyager be done in? Should they be interleaved at some point?

Spacedude
2017-Dec-12, 07:26 PM
My opinion is that the Voyager series should be viewed last since it was the ending of the chronological TV franchise, and each of the other trek series should be watched in the order they were first televised.

Swift
2017-Dec-12, 07:44 PM
Wikipedia article with a Star Trek universe timeline. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek)

SeanF
2017-Dec-12, 08:12 PM
So I'm getting near the end of The Next Generation, and I realise I may kind of miss it. And given my current personal circumstances, wonder if maybe I should just "complete" Start Trek before starting back on some of the more current things I need to catch up on. (Like Discovery).

Netflix here has everything, so I could start Enterprise, then do TOS (maybe skip episodes I remember strongly), the cartoon, (skip doing TNG again), then DS9 and Voyager.

Is that madness? As in, should only a true ST fanatic (which I'm not) do this?

What order should DS9 and Voyager be done in? Should they be interleaved at some point?
If you're going to interleave DS9 and Voyager, you should probably already be interleaving TNG and DS9. There will be tie-in episodes between TNG and DS9 just as much as (if not more than) between DS9 and Voyager. It's probably not worth worrying about, however.

Spacedude
2017-Dec-12, 10:54 PM
Perhaps you're biggest obstacle will be figuring out how the Klingons keep going shapeshifter on you.

pzkpfw
2017-Dec-12, 11:32 PM
*your :-)

Years ago (when I wasn't watching TNG on broadcast T.V.) I stumbled on the tribbles episode of TNG. Am eagerly awaiting it, must be coming soon ...

(I liked the Worf line; something like "we don't like to talk about it".)

Solfe
2017-Dec-13, 02:37 AM
I believe there is a point where TNG, DS9 and Voyager all run together. That could get frantic. I believe that Thomas (Riker's Twin) showing up on DS9 is actually the sequence that gets Voyager going. Once they kick off Voyager, they separate again.

I think my memory is slightly flawed, TNG was off the air by the time Voyager came along. I suspect I am remember the characters which swapped shows or were featured on DS9 and not actually a TNG episode.

pzkpfw
2017-Dec-13, 04:21 AM
There have been some DS9ish episodes lately in TNG, I figured it was setting up for the spin off. Chief O'Brien has vanished. If they explained it, I missed it. I think he pops up on DS9?

I'm really not too worried about interleaving, unless there's major spoilers.

That is, I figure I'll watch DS9 before Voyager - but if someone says something like "No! In DS9 you'll learn something about Voyager that'll spoil season 7!" I'll take that advice.

Cheers,

SeanF
2017-Dec-13, 01:29 PM
Years ago (when I wasn't watching TNG on broadcast T.V.) I stumbled on the tribbles episode of TNG. Am eagerly awaiting it, must be coming soon ...

(I liked the Worf line; something like "we don't like to talk about it".)
"Trials and Tribble-ations" is a DS9 episode, not TNG, and not until the 5th season of DS9, for that matter.

SeanF
2017-Dec-13, 02:27 PM
There have been some DS9ish episodes lately in TNG, I figured it was setting up for the spin off. Chief O'Brien has vanished. If they explained it, I missed it. I think he pops up on DS9?
Yes, O'Brien is a main character on DS9. So is Worf, in the later seasons, after TNG was finished.

I'm really not too worried about interleaving, unless there's major spoilers.

That is, I figure I'll watch DS9 before Voyager - but if someone says something like "No! In DS9 you'll learn something about Voyager that'll spoil season 7!" I'll take that advice.
Unless I'm forgetting about something, there are no major spoilers for Voyager in any episodes of DS9.

pzkpfw
2017-Dec-13, 05:53 PM
"Trials and Tribble-ations" is a DS9 episode, not TNG, and not until the 5th season of DS9, for that matter.

Shows how much I know!

I'd totally forgotten that - and have been waiting for it in TNG.

NGCHunter
2017-Dec-14, 07:30 PM
And here I thought this thread would be about Star Trek Continues wrapping up. If you do watch TOS, I highly recommend watching Star Trek Continues. It's a fan series that just concluded with a two part finale that serves as a fan-made series finale for TOS as a whole, bridging the gap between TOS and TMP (the first motion picture). I found it to be quite excellent.

pzkpfw
2017-Dec-14, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the tip. Had forgotten about that, and hadn't seen any of it.

DonM435
2017-Dec-15, 01:45 PM
Star Trek: Completion could be useful as the final series series, tying up all the loose ends.

E.g., kill Kirk like Rasputin, just to make sure he's gone for good.