PDA

View Full Version : Darkest Hour

Jeff Root
2017-Dec-29, 01:43 PM
The promos on TV for this movie have zero appeal.
Winston Churchill appears to do nothing but yell cliches
with incorrect intonation, making him look like a blowhard
instead of the real leader he was.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

grant hutchison
2017-Dec-29, 02:25 PM
Also a bit of a blowhard, of course. Not well remembered in the town I grew up in, for instance, where he served as a Liberal MP before the war. I do sometimes wonder what might have become of him if there hadn't been a war in 1939.

Grant Hutchison

WaxRubiks
2017-Dec-29, 02:26 PM
if someone tries to make a cat look like a cow, maybe they are really trying to make a cow look like a cat....

Hornblower
2017-Dec-29, 02:28 PM
It appears that the creators of this movie do not understand the value of understatement. I was once involved in a military presentation in which a narrator, voicing President Lincoln, read the Gettysburg Address with exaggerated, put-on intonation (sometimes incorrectly called inflection). This speech packs an emotional wallop when delivered straight, but the result in this case was ludicrous and distracting.

grant hutchison
2017-Dec-29, 07:25 PM
if someone tries to make a cat look like a cow, maybe they are really trying to make a cow look like a cat....I've read that a few times, now, and I'm afraid I still have no idea what it means, either literally or figuratively.

Grant Hutchison

WaxRubiks
2017-Dec-29, 08:25 PM
I've read that a few times, now, and I'm afraid I still have no idea what it means, either literally or figuratively.

Grant Hutchison

I thought about editing. :)

If you make out person A is a blowhard, then maybe it is an attempt to make blowhards appear like person A.....?

grant hutchison
2017-Dec-29, 10:35 PM
If you make out person A is a blowhard, then maybe it is an attempt to make blowhards appear like person A.....?Oof. Stiletto between the ribs for me, it seems.
But you don't actually need to read much of Churchill's writings about himself, and about people he disliked (especially those he judged to be his racial inferiors), to see that he wasn't at all backward about coming forward. The second world war provided a role for Churchill to which he was ideally suited, and which worked to the benefit of the whole country. But without that heroic episode, we might be left judging him on the basis of a legacy of overblown remarks expressing unpleasant opinions.

Grant Hutchison

WaxRubiks
2017-Dec-30, 12:18 AM
Oof. Stiletto between the ribs for me, it seems.

It wasn't a reply to your post. I thought I would be the first reply. I meant the film makers.

I did hear some unpleasant episode about Churchill and some Welsh miners, but I can't remember the details.

grant hutchison
2017-Dec-30, 12:53 AM
It wasn't a reply to your post. I thought I would be the first reply. I meant the film makers.The film makers undoubtedly intended a serious tribute to Churchill, while (I think) also trying to portray him as flawed and complex individual.

I did hear some unpleasant episode about Churchill and some Welsh miners, but I can't remember the details.You're thinking of Churchill's role in putting down the Tonypandy Riots, I think.
Look up some of the things he said about indigenous peoples, "uncivilized tribes", Jews and Moslems. He was to a large extent reflecting the ideas of his time, culture and class, but his blithe assumption of Anglo-Saxon superiority combined with his talent for eloquent bombast makes "blow-hard" only one of several words beginning with "b" that spring to mind.

Grant Hutchison

CJSF
2017-Dec-30, 01:09 AM
There are quite a few reviews now seriously calling out the film for its historical inaccuracies. Here's one.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/453849/darkest-hour-dishonors-winston-churchill-memory

But not being from the UK, I don't know wholly what to make of it, nor am I much inclined to see the movie at this point. I *have* heard remarks similar to Grant's, though, regarding Churchill's place in history and how otherwise he was fairly ... b-like.

CJSF