PDA

View Full Version : Tooth Questions.. I am so scaired...

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-07, 08:57 PM
I need to know, If I had four of my permanent back teeth removed, Could I have fake ones put in? And how painful would that be afterwords? I mean, If they put me to sleep in each case. I am scaired to death over this :(

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-07, 09:26 PM
You wouldn't need fake ones, since no one can see your back teeth anyway. I had all my wisdom teeth out when I was about 16, and the only really bad part was the afternoon after the operation, when my mouth was still numb from the anesthetic and I was drooling blood and saliva. But there was never much pain and I was eating normal food again within three days.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-07, 09:29 PM
But I'm going to be put to sleep :o Im thinking of after I wake up.

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-07, 09:34 PM
But I'm going to be put to sleep :o Im thinking of after I wake up.
I know; I meant there wasn't much pain even afterward, probably because of all the drugs they gave me. :) I was floating on a cloud of painkillers for a while.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Mar-07, 09:39 PM
It won't hurt after the pain has passed! :o

Seriously, if you have a good dentist you will be fine, as a child I had a sadist :evil: but the guy I see now is great - I tell him I am alergic to pain and he isn't stingy with the novacain! :D :D (He doen't hurt me and I don't rip his throat out! :D )

jt-3d
2005-Mar-07, 09:48 PM
Dude, you're not the first person to have their wisdom teeth out. Granted it's pretty radical surgery but it's done all the time. Relax.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Mar-07, 10:01 PM
Dude, you're not the first person to have their wisdom teeth out. Granted it's pretty radical surgery but it's done all the time. Relax.

That's good advice, I was (am) a nervous patient (victim) as soon as the dentist started with the tools in my mouth I got nervous and gripped the chair arms hard enough to leave marks afterwards. Then I found that if I made myself relax and reduce the death grip on the chair it helped a lot. (I also found that concentrating on the err... "physical atributes" of the dental nurse helped take my mind off things as well :D :D)

Candy
2005-Mar-07, 10:08 PM
He didn't say they were his wisdom teeth.

Depending on what dental insurance plan you have, you can get a bridge or a transplant. My dental coverage covers bridges only, which doesn't make any sense. They cost the same to do.

I don't notice my bridge at all, except when food gets stuck under the 'bridge'. There is special dental wax for this which is very necessary. My co-worker's wife got an infection for not cleaning her teeth (bridge). :-?

farmerjumperdon
2005-Mar-07, 10:09 PM
You never specified. Are the 4 coming out your wisdom teeth? If so, no big deal. You wake up, swollen, sore, drooling, but not a lot of pain as long as you take it easy on the chewing for a while and take the pain medication.

I had all four taken at once when I was 18, and they were deeply impacted. Aside from being a bit messy, no big deal.

Candy
2005-Mar-07, 10:14 PM
And why is your dentist not talking to you about this? :o

Candy
2005-Mar-07, 10:17 PM
If they are wisdom teeth, should we explain to him why 'we' don't need wisdom teeth? Therefore, no need for transplants. 8-[

farmerjumperdon
2005-Mar-07, 10:20 PM
As long as explaining why we do not need wisdom teeth doesn't turn into another evolution thread. :D

Candy
2005-Mar-07, 10:28 PM
As long as explaining why we do not need wisdom teeth doesn't turn into another evolution thread. :D
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/h055.gif

Jim
2005-Mar-07, 10:29 PM
If these are your wisdom teeth, you don't need them. I had mine out years ago and I'm still just as smart as before. :wink:

My extractions (all four at the same time) were done under a general... sodium pentathol. The guy who invented it should be knighted or sainted or something. Go-o-o-o-od stuff.

Afterward, only a dull ache, no sharp pain. I took aspirins and kept a wet tea bag in the sockets to reduce the bleeding (minimal anyway). Your mouth will feel miserable for a while, but you'll survive.

If these are not your wisdoms, you will want to replace them if only to keep your other teeth in place and make chewing more "balanced." Implants would probably be best.

Doodler
2005-Mar-07, 10:37 PM
Been there, survived that. Its painful, I won't lie to you. You'll feel like a cheek stuffed gerbil for a week or two, but it does pass. If you think that pain is annoying, let your wisdom teeth come in impacted and compare notes. Its a blessing to be rid of them.

Funny thing is, not everyone gets wisdom teeth. I only developed three of them.

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-07, 10:46 PM
If they're not his wisdom teeth, he might also be having them pulled as part of orthodontic work, in which case replacing them with anything would defeat the purpose. It all depends on why they're coming out.

Gillianren
2005-Mar-07, 10:47 PM
my boyfriend had his out last year and went to work the next day. then again, he's crazy.

when I was in eighth grade, the entire bass section of our junior high orchestra had their wisdom teeth out in the same week. (all three of them.) we joked that we had the only bass section in the country living on Jell-O and mashed potatoes.

Swift
2005-Mar-07, 10:48 PM
Afterward, only a dull ache, no sharp pain. I took aspirins and kept a wet tea bag in the sockets to reduce the bleeding (minimal anyway). Your mouth will feel miserable for a while, but you'll survive.

I've had a variety of oral surgeries including having a cracked wisdom tooth removed (it cracked many years after it came in, none of mine were impacted) and a variety of gum surgeries. My dentist has me take aspirin for 24 hours before the operation; it helps to keep the swelling down, which is a lot of the pain. Works great. The tea bag helps control bleeding, if that is a problem.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-07, 10:51 PM
I am too embarressed to say, I was just worried at the fact that they WILL have to come out in due time... The Problem I'm thinking of is cavitys and yes it is the wisdom teeth. Their currently doing fine but I worry easy and theres a set in front of the wisdom teeth I'm also worried about. :wink:

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-07, 10:53 PM
Been there, survived that. Its painful, I won't lie to you. You'll feel like a cheek stuffed gerbil for a week or two, but it does pass. If you think that pain is annoying, let your wisdom teeth come in impacted and compare notes. Its a blessing to be rid of them.

Funny thing is, not everyone gets wisdom teeth. I only developed three of them.
There's a fair amount of variation in people's experiences with this, it seems. When I had mine out, there was no swelling at all, but a lot of people do get the chipmunk-cheek effect for a couple of weeks.

Candy
2005-Mar-07, 10:58 PM
I am too embarressed to say, I was just worried at the fact that they WILL have to come out in due time... The Problem I'm thinking of is cavitys and yes it is the wisdom teeth. Their currently doing fine but I worry easy and theres a set in front of the wisdom teeth I'm also worried about. :wink:
Dentist is going to yank those puppies hard now. I just called him. :wink:

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-07, 11:04 PM
Wait a minute... They'll be using general anesthesia? I thought local was good enough even for removing molars?

(For the record, I had 4 bicuspids removed for orthodontia... It was not painful at all. I didn't feel anything during the whole 5 minutes or so the actual extraction took, nor for 5 hours afterward.)

jrkeller
2005-Mar-08, 12:15 AM
I had my wisdom teeth taken out 2 years ago at age 41. It hardly hurt at all. They put me under and the next thing I knew I was done. They gave me a prescription for Vicadin for the pain. I hated it. I couldn't sleep at all. I felt like I was floating all the time. The very next day I was fine. My mouth felt a little puffy, but that was it.

Now that it has been two years, I am so happy that I got them taken out. I used to get a lot of headaches and sinus type infections, and now I hardly get one.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-08, 12:23 AM
Wisdom teeth cause problems apparently.. What do they cause? Sinus infections? What other **?

Trebuchet
2005-Mar-08, 12:24 AM
I had just a local for mine, many years ago. The worst part of it was opening my eyes just in time to see a hammer coming down on a chisel lodged in my mouth! They were severely impacted and had to be broken up to be removed. Pain afterward was not too bad due to considerable codeine.

Majin, almost everyone seems to need their wisdom teeth out. You'll be fine.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-08, 12:31 AM
WTF does severely impacted mean? :o

N C More
2005-Mar-08, 01:05 AM
I don't have my wisdom teeth, neither does my husband. All of my kids have had them out as well. My son just had his out this summer and he was just fine. The problem is that wisdom teeth are basically "second string" teeth (they serve as "spares") and due to their location they can form cyst-like pockets and cause harm even to your jaw bone. Honestly, it's really best to just have them out. In fact, it's far better to have preventative dental work done throughout your life, less pain and less money in the long run.

ToSeek
2005-Mar-08, 01:24 AM
A friend of mine who was a semi-professional flautist had to have her wisdom teeth out. She thought the after-effects were great: until the swelling went down, she sounded like Jean-Pierre Rampal!

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-08, 01:29 AM
Thanks for making me feel 100% good about it ToSeek... </sarcasim>

Tunga
2005-Mar-08, 01:45 AM
I had my wisdom teeth taken out around 35 years ago. Not a bad experience. I had a gas but I was not knocked out. I remember the dentist had unbelievably strong hands. Once he got the pliers on the tooth and twisted it, it felt like my jaw was going to break. But it didn't. Wasn't a bad experience.

tmosher
2005-Mar-08, 02:11 AM
Demerol drip and percocet afterward. Didn't feel a thing considering I was completely out of it when they did all four wisdom teeth at once. Minimal pain afterward and within a day I was feeling almost no pain. The mouth heals rapidly.

Don't sweat having the teeth out. I can assure you it's a safe and a easy procedure you shouldn't have to worry about.

Tensor
2005-Mar-08, 02:50 AM

Here (http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_teeth/t1_wisdom_tooth.htm) is your answer Majin. I had all four of mine out 31 years ago. I had no problems.

Candy
2005-Mar-08, 11:04 AM
Wisdom teeth cause problems apparently.. What do they cause? Sinus infections? What other **?
In some cases, if you don't get your wisdom teeth out, your teeth will become crooked. In my case, all four of my wisdom teeth were coming in sideways. My dentist said if I didn't have them taken out, my other teeth would become severely crooked over time. Apparently, my mouth is not as big as some would think to accommodate the extra teeth. :wink:

Do you want crooked teeth or a week of minor pain? :-k

Candy
2005-Mar-08, 11:08 AM

Here (http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_teeth/t1_wisdom_tooth.htm) is your answer Majin. I had all four of mine out 31 years ago. I had no problems.
I like your link. I should have read it, before I made my post. I wonder why it doesn't show you what your teeth will look like if you don't get the impacted teeth pulled? :o

cyswxman
2005-Mar-08, 11:14 AM
It's really not as bad as it may sound. I had mine taken out about 20 years ago and they just used the shot to deaden the pain (No gas, I was awake while the doc removed them :o). There was a little soreness after the anesthetic wore off, but aspirin took care of it.

Doodler
2005-Mar-08, 12:49 PM
The one wisdom tooth I had on the lower plate was coming in at a 45 degree angle pressing at the midpoint of the molar in front of it. I would get ringing headaches for days because of it.

That's impaction.

Hutch
2005-Mar-08, 01:40 PM
Had mine out about 15 years ago with no problems, I was back at work after a day at home. My brother had his done and he had some bleeding and pain (but he's always been a baby about pain--albeit a 6'5", 310lb baby) but did just fine.

I get along fine with general anesthetic, just fade to black and wake up when the party's over.

But do get regualr checkups and do get them out when the dentist says they need to go.

Eta C
2005-Mar-08, 01:44 PM
I can relate to Majin's apprehension. All four of my wisdom teeth came in normally, with no adverse effect on the other teeth, much to the surprise of my dentists. However, about five years ago one of them got chipped and was irritating my inner cheek. Rather than cap it or fix it, my dentist just pulled it. At the age of 40 this was the first "removal" or surgury of any kind I'd ever faced so I was a bit nervous. I never even had a tonsilectomy which is somewhat rare for one who grew up in the 60's.

Anyway, he novacained the area and all I felt was a slight tug as he smoothly pulled it out. Tylenol with codine took care of the pain for the next day, and all was fine after that.

So, Majin, don't get too worked up. This is a fairly common procedure that most people (American's anyway) go through at some point in their life.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Mar-08, 01:53 PM
The type of anesthesia varies depending on a lot of things, probably most important is how deeply impacted they are, and the dentists preference.

There is far more variance in medical practices than most people are probably aware of. Deeply impacted teeth require a good amount of cutting and would usually be done under general.

I had a root canal that in retrospect, would have been a good candidate for a general. For one shining moment, it was the most intense pain I've ever felt. Much worse than breaking a bone, but it only lasted for 1 second.

After 3 visits my "hot" infected root was not settling down any. So he offerred that they could put a shot of Novocaine directly down the tooth root into the nerve, with a warning that the moment of contacting the nerve with the needle would be painful. That was the understatement of a lifetime. When that needle touched the nerve it was incredible!

On the other extreme, my wife gets put under for deep cleanings. It's not supposed to be covered by insurance, but they must fudge the coding on the bill to get it through. She is a wimp for pain and searched out a dentist who would do it for her.

I do like the pentathol, especially if you can go down slowly. For one of my knee surgeries it seemed to take about 15 to 20 seconds to go under. It was very freaky and I often wonder if that is what it is like to die.

Back on topic; wisdom teeth do not have to come out unless they are disrupting other teeth, but I did not know that some people do not get them, or don't get them all.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-08, 01:58 PM
A friend of mine once had his wisdom teeth removed. He was seventeen.

JUST KIDDING! :D
My lower wisdom teeth are rather close to the molers, and are trying to push through for years now. My upper ones are in a very strange position, and show no signs of coming to the surface. None of my dentists ever said anything about my wisdom teeth. I've got an upper tooth growing out of line. It did so as long as I have that tooth,and even a brace couldn't stop that problem. I guess that has nothing to do with wisdom teeth. A piece of one of my lower molers broke off, this could be due to pressure from the wisdom teeth. That should give them some space :).
Anyway, I know some people who got their wisdom teeth removed, and after a few days they looked and felt like before. One person had a rather blue face afterwards, but this was gone after 5 days. He went to school the same day his teeth were pulled already.

Wally
2005-Mar-08, 02:26 PM
Wait a minute... They'll be using general anesthesia? I thought local was good enough even for removing molars?

(For the record, I had 4 bicuspids removed for orthodontia... It was not painful at all. I didn't feel anything during the whole 5 minutes or so the actual extraction took, nor for 5 hours afterward.)

Local works fine for "regular" extractions. General is the norm for impacted wisdom teeth though, since chissling into bone, etc. is usually necessary.

Had all 4 taken out at the same time myself. Had some problems a few days later with food particles getting in the empty sockets, causing a lot of pain. Oral Surgeon gave me a syringe with a curved tip (no needle, of course!) that I could use to blast warm water into the sockets to clear the debris out.

Candy
2005-Mar-08, 02:26 PM
After I had a bad tooth pulled, from a previous root canal that I never had capped, I woke up crying like a baby. It wasn't due to pain, it was because I didn't know where I was at the time. Freaked me out! I kept trying to leave the room, but the nurses kept restraining me. :oops:

With the wisdom teeth, all four at the same time, I don't remember much about the experience. I do remember popping Tylenol 3's and drinking peach schnapps. I didn't use ice to keep the swelling down, and I looked like a chipmunk. :oops:

Now, I'm a slave to the dentist. It took me two tries to find one I liked here in Schaumburg. I'd had the same dentist for 30 years in Lafayette. I still miss him.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Mar-08, 02:46 PM
Hail to Schaumburg! My Mom and younger siblings lived there for a few years; on Ganon just a couple minutes from Woodfield. She worked at Arlington. Never lived there but hung around enough to know the area a bit. Small world.

Candy
2005-Mar-08, 02:54 PM
Hail to Schaumburg! My Mom and younger siblings lived there for a few years; on Ganon just a couple minutes from Woodfield. She worked at Arlington. Never lived there but hung around enough to know the area a bit. Small world.
I love it here. It's just a nice community with nice people. :D

Found a smilie for Majin Vegeta! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/p045.gif

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-08, 07:10 PM
What the heck are you?! Crazy! Thanks for making me 100x more scaired than before! BTW: They are already in, Perfectly.. I'm never asking for advice here ever again!! And I didn't click that link either [-(

Tunga
2005-Mar-08, 07:32 PM
Hey! You're welcome.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-08, 07:33 PM
I need to know, If I had four of my permanent back teeth removed, Could I have fake ones put in? And how painful would that be afterwords? I mean, If they put me to sleep in each case. I am scaired to death over this

In name of all persons contributing to this thread, I sincerely apologize for answering your questions by telling the truth. :roll:

Gillianren
2005-Mar-08, 10:40 PM
you know, it's funny--most of the stories are about so-and-so (ourselves; people we know) having their wisdom teeth pulled and being fine. maybe a few days of discomfort, maybe a few minutes of extreme pain, but it goes away, and they're fine.

so what's the problem? I've never had my wisdom teeth pulled (I'm 28), but I find these stories reassuring. I doubt I'd react to it like my boyfriend (the one who went back to work the next day), and I know I wouldn't be swilling peach schnapps (I don't drink), but now I also know that odds are really good that all pain/swelling would be over really fast.

anyway, it can't be as bad as childbirth was, right?

Nicolas
2005-Mar-08, 10:45 PM
anyway, it can't be as bad as childbirth was, right?

I urgently ask a complete banning of this argument in any discussion. :D

I'll say it a final time:

-man indeed have no idea what childbirth feels like
-nothing is as bad as childbirth

Now, any time anyone wants to put the childbirth argument into a discussion, she can (silently) say these two responses to herself.

:D :D

SKY
2005-Mar-09, 08:50 AM

Not for impacted. They usually have to cut the gum to remove the tooth.

I had two of mine done under a year ago. Mine were impacted and they put me out too. The Anesthesia they use doesn't put you all the way out. You are still consious and can answer the dentists questions, but you can't remember a thing. I remember them giving me the Anesthesia and I just got really relaxed, after that I only vaigly remember waking up in the dentist chair and being helped to my truck (were my wife was waiting to drive me home). I don't remember a whole lot until after I got home.

I was nervious about it and actually shaking when they were about to give me the Anesthesia. I got nervious when they told me I would be semi-consious...but wouldn't remember anything. I had doubts. But I can safely say I would do it again anytime I needed to, especially after experiencing it and finding it wasn't a big deal.

cyswxman
2005-Mar-09, 09:12 AM
Curious. I thought local anesthesia will suffice, as was done with me when my wisdom teeth had to be surgically removed. I even had all 4 done at once. It was not a big deal, at least for me.

SKY
2005-Mar-09, 09:33 AM
Curious. I thought local anesthesia will suffice, as was done with me when my wisdom teeth had to be surgically removed. I even had all 4 done at once. It was not a big deal, at least for me.

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/934/z0tdntknw.gif It may have to do with the oral surgeon's preferrences. I also had someone tell me it was because I am 6-2, 250 lbs and the surgeon may be afraid of me freaking out in the chair. Makes sense, but the surgeon said it was mostly due to having to cut into the gums. And for those that don't know, they do use both general and local anesthesia. I suppose it's so when you do wake up, your not immediatly in pain.

mickal555
2005-Mar-09, 09:54 AM
LAst time I went to the dentest I ran off down the streat screeming...... that was about 4 years ago

Candy
2005-Mar-09, 03:55 PM
LAst time I went to the dentest I ran off down the streat screeming...... that was about 4 years ago
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/s050.gif

Raptor1967
2005-Mar-09, 04:19 PM
Hey don't sweat it. I was hit in the mouth with a bat as a teenager and had to have all my teeth pulled and replaced with implants. Never felt better. They are easy to clean, Don't get cavities, and if they break just got to go get a new one. As for pain after the surgery I had a little discomfort but it wasn't really pain it was more a pressure thing that irritated more then anything else.

Only problem I have with the implants is how easily they get stained. Getting new ones next year that they say they will be much better.

Go for sedation dentistry if you are afraid.

slbuczkowski
2005-Mar-09, 04:42 PM
Just to add one more (outlying?) data point to the discussion, I had my two lower wisdom teeth, which were growing in perpendicular to the rest of the teeth, extracted 5 years ago. I was on Novocain and the process took about 30 minutes.

50 minutes after I sat in the chair, I was driving myself across town to visit my wife and 2 day old daughter in the hospital. My cheeks looked a little full for a couple of days, but I never had any need for the vicodin my surgeon prescribed. All in all, I would call it pretty simple.

And those were the two hard extractions. I wouldn't sweat it too much, but talk to your dentist/oral surgeon about apprehensions and options to make them easier to overcome.

Steven

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-09, 06:49 PM
I had two of mine done under a year ago. Mine were impacted and they put me out too. The Anesthesia they use doesn't put you all the way out. You are still consious and can answer the dentists questions, but you can't remember a thing. I remember them giving me the Anesthesia and I just got really relaxed, after that I only vaigly remember waking up in the dentist chair and being helped to my truck (were my wife was waiting to drive me home). I don't remember a whole lot until after I got home.
Yeah, that's what I had too. It was actually rather pleasant once the anesthesia kicked in. I remember a few things. The dentist started humming Beatles tunes while he was working, and I started humming along with him. And at one point they had to drill through one of the wisdom teeth (the lower left one, I believe), which caused a horrible pain and made me yelp, so they gave me another shot of local anesthetic in that side, which stopped the pain but caused that side of my mouth to remain numb much longer after the operation. When it was over, I was confused and didn't quite realize that it was over, but they made me get out of the chair and sit in a little room for a few minutes while the anesthesia wore off and my memory of the experience faded.

(I still have all four wisdom teeth in a bottle, by the way. You can see the hole drilled through one of them.)

pumpkinpie
2005-Mar-09, 07:40 PM
When it was over, I was confused and didn't quite realize that it was over, but they made me get out of the chair and sit in a little room for a few minutes while the anesthesia wore off and my memory of the experience faded.

Sooo.....how are you telling this story now, if the memory faded?? Or I guess they didn't give you enough "amnesia juice!"

I was amazed when I learned such a thing existed. Just the fact that you are actually awake, and can respond to the doctors, but they have this magic potion that makes you forget any pain or discomfort you went through, blows my mind! I have had a few procedures that require it. The first time I had it, I wasn't given enough, and I do remember the discomfort. Ever since then, it's been fine!

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-09, 07:46 PM
When it was over, I was confused and didn't quite realize that it was over, but they made me get out of the chair and sit in a little room for a few minutes while the anesthesia wore off and my memory of the experience faded.

Sooo.....how are you telling this story now, if the memory faded?? Or I guess they didn't give you enough "amnesia juice!"
What I've just told is the sum total of what I remember. I forgot everything else.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-09, 09:38 PM
Actually I lied, I will ask for advice here... FOREVER. You guys are the greatest =D> Except candy.. tee-hee

Nicolas
2005-Mar-09, 10:00 PM
Do NOT call me Majin

And, has Majin dared to call you yet? :lol: 8-[

Candy
2005-Mar-11, 07:31 PM
Actually I lied, I will ask for advice here... FOREVER. You guys are the greatest =D> Except candy.. tee-hee
Hey, I just noticed the fine print. :D

SpacedOut
2005-Mar-11, 10:16 PM
Majin - You won't really need implants except for cosmetic reasons, and that's unlikely for wisdom teeth. My story - had seven teeth pulled in one sitting - 4 wisdom and 3 - 12 year molars about 25 years ago.

Don't miss them one bit. No trouble eating either. (several pounds overweight) Do yourself a favor - if you think you need dental work done, do it immediately. I put it off for years - thats why the 12 year molars had to go. If I had done it only 1 or 2 years earlier, they probably could have been saved.

For those interested - sodium pentathol mixed with valium - LALA Land. Highly recommended. :P

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-11, 11:52 PM
The teeth next to the wisdom teeth are the ones that I would Implant for... Wisdom teeth suck, Mine hurts... Weird actually... It was ok 2 days ago