PDA

View Full Version : STOP WITH THE PHPBB REQUESTS!

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-08, 12:29 AM
I swear I've gotten 100 PMs in the past 3 days asking where the said person can get free phpBB at, Because I said there was a site that you didn't have to download it in order to use it.. Here you go so stop bothering me.

www.6k2.com

^ Pre installed skins, The best I Have seen, Now LEAVE ME ALONE. :evil:

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Mar-08, 12:34 AM
Majin, I edited the title. Please watch your language here.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-08, 12:36 AM
word deleted isn't bad, It generally ranks among Stupid. :(

Lurker
2005-Mar-08, 12:53 AM
Chill... people didn't know you were being bombarded. Just post a note that you have hundreds of requests and they will...............

let you off the hook after lots of jokes and teasing and general abuse!!! \:D/

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-08, 01:04 AM
These are the PM's I recived from one guy while asleep.. The guy had 0 posts!

"phpBB"
"Message brd plz"
"phpBB link"
"Forum plz"
"Answer me you ****"
"Give me phpBB"
"phpBB rokz"
"phpBB link pplese"
"****ING PHPBB!"

^ I deleted all of em to tic that guy off =D> He was a toughie, But there were a bunch more. :wink:

paulie jay
2005-Mar-08, 01:12 AM
Majin Vegeta, your attitude stinks. If you want to converse with adults stop acting like a nine year old.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-08, 01:27 AM
You'd flip out too! There was like a thousand! I was asleep for 5 hours and in that five hours my whole inbox was filled with PMs.

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-08, 01:55 AM
You should PM the BA about this... That fellow is abusing his privilages on this board. That's suitable grounds for banning.

Normandy6644
2005-Mar-08, 01:57 AM
Yeah and definitely watch your language. The definition of what is or is not appropriate is not up to you.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Mar-08, 02:01 AM
majin please think it through. If I deleted it in the title, don't use the same word in your post.

The word itself can be used in such a way that it is not impolite, but it was clear what you meant by it, and that usage is definitely not polite.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-08, 03:12 AM
Hey BA, and everyone else I guess, Majin is a title.. Like "The Bad Astronomer" and I prefer Vegeta as in sig.

As I said though, All the PMs were deleted so theres nothing we can do about It unless the guy does it again. :wink:

Johnno
2005-Mar-08, 09:01 AM
I swear I've gotten 100 PMs

There was like a thousand!

100? 1000? Maybe there were only 10? Are you sure there were more than 10? I mean multiplying by 10 doesn't seem to be a problem, so why not dividing by 10?

I'm sure there were only 10.

I mean my inbox says 27% full when I have 4 messages. Making a full inbox 15 messages. 100 PMs? 1000?

:roll:

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-08, 07:12 PM
My Inbox was full when I woke up and preceded to have my inbox filled every 20 minutes for 3 hours so you tell me. :wink:

Johnno
2005-Mar-08, 07:35 PM
My Inbox was full when I woke up and preceded to have my inbox filled every 20 minutes for 3 hours so you tell me.

Nowhere near a thousand. Why did you say a thousand then?

Here's a hint, next time, post a thread kindly asking people to stop pming you after your inbox has been filled twice, instead of waiting until you've gotten *gasp* a thousand messages, and then snapping at people.

Musashi
2005-Mar-08, 11:18 PM
Hey Vegeta, where can I get PHPBB for free?

Johnno
2005-Mar-08, 11:20 PM
Hey Vegeta, where can I get PHPBB for free?

Don't you mean "Hey Majin" ? :roll:

Mars
2005-Mar-09, 12:47 AM
:o

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-09, 04:00 AM
You can get it for free at the phpbb website (www.phpbb.com) but you have to set it up. The question was "Where can I get PHPBB setup and run for free". :wink:

Musashi
2005-Mar-09, 04:02 AM
Well, that certainly wasn't clear from the original or subsequent posts.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-09, 04:05 AM
I swear I've gotten 100 PMs in the past 3 days asking where the said person can get free phpBB at, Because I said there was a site that you didn't have to download it in order to use it.. Here you go so stop bothering me.

www.6k2.com

^ Pre installed skins, The best I Have seen, Now LEAVE ME ALONE. :evil:
What was that again? :lol:

Musashi
2005-Mar-09, 04:29 AM
Oh yeah, it is all so clear now.

:roll:

I suggest that you take several deep breaths between typing and hitting the submit button and then going back and rereading what you typed to see if that is really the impression you want people here to have of you.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-09, 04:37 AM
On forums that I'm allowed to I usually use the "F" word in each post about 3 times, Some times more!

Example (some guys were ripping on my favorite character for no reason):

I will blank 3 letters so you can atleast get what words I used:

<snip>

I said that this morning... As you can see I really don't care what I say, Except here :wink: Here is the only place on the net I try to censor my self and keep my temper down. :wink: Pardon my nearly fully censored language. :)

Normandy6644
2005-Mar-09, 04:40 AM
I'd really reconsider posting that quote...

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-09, 04:42 AM
I did, but why? I censored it nearly fully!

Normandy6644
2005-Mar-09, 05:23 AM
I did, but why? I censored it nearly fully!

The BA is not a fan of alluding to the words in place of saying them. Abbreviations, fancy characters, and asterisks do not count as proper language.

There are plenty of boards out there that you can swear on, as well as use those abbreviations and the like. Here is just not one of them.

paulie jay
2005-Mar-09, 05:31 AM
On forums that I'm allowed to I usually use the "F" word in each post about 3 times, Some times more!
Whoopty-do. You know how to swear - so can the rest of us. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you HAVE TO. If you need to swear to get a point across then frankly, the point was probably worthless to start with.

Here is the only place on the net I try to censor my self and keep my temper down.
Vegeta, I really have to ask you - what is it that you feel you need to lose your temper over so frequently? What's with all the hostility? You must have the shortest fuse in recorded history. So you got a few PMs? How hard is it to select them all and click delete? Probably takes about nine seconds. Big deal.

Mate, I think you need to realise that this board is not like all of those other message boards where teenagers constantly throw insults at each other, fight like three year olds and feel the need to swear every second word. I've read so many posts of yours in different threads where the aggression and hostility you display is ridiculously out of proportion to the insult that you have perceived to have received. Just calm down brother - we're not all out to get you, you know??

mickal555
2005-Mar-09, 06:49 AM
I think some guy was trying to tick you off and he has succeeded, doing what you have described is a bannable offence. But if you get too worked up you may find yourself banned instead/also. I never get anyway Pm's so consider yourself lucky....
You can swear at FWIS if you like, but we don't really care how much swearing you are capable of...

Enzp
2005-Mar-09, 07:12 AM
Vegeta, even if I am not on your wavelength, I for one welcome a fresh perspective and it is intersting to see the outlook of youth. But this is an adult site, not a hangout, and as such it is socially different from those. We expect a polite discourse and exchange of ideas. it is not a place for posturing and confrontive attitude. No one is shy about pointing out when someone drifts away from that standard. So we do.

That you are allowed to misbehave elsewhere doesn't make it desirable. I could get away with being rude to the folks at the grocery store where I shop, but why should I want to? WHen I happen to eat a meal at Denny's - shudder - and a group of teens come in, I am never surprised when the loud banter contains about 75% F-words. I am not offended by it, if anything it sounds really pretty silly. It verifies my impression that these are kids and not grown up people. Nothing assures immaturity better than a bunch of people arguing over how mature they are. SO think about how others might be perceiving you when you post - and in real life.

mickal555
2005-Mar-09, 07:22 AM
Most of the words you hear now are the C word. the bad one. Besides not all teenages are bad, we are given a bad name...
Is Vegeta even a kid I cna't remember him saying so...?

Enzp
2005-Mar-09, 07:39 AM
He announced he was 14 in one of his first posts.

mickal555
2005-Mar-09, 07:41 AM
oh no!
He might be the youngest member instead of me....
What mounth is he born in?

Normandy6644
2005-Mar-09, 02:35 PM
Vegeta, even if I am not on your wavelength, I for one welcome a fresh perspective and it is intersting to see the outlook of youth. But this is an adult site, not a hangout, and as such it is socially different from those. We expect a polite discourse and exchange of ideas. it is not a place for posturing and confrontive attitude. No one is shy about pointing out when someone drifts away from that standard. So we do.

That you are allowed to misbehave elsewhere doesn't make it desirable. I could get away with being rude to the folks at the grocery store where I shop, but why should I want to? WHen I happen to eat a meal at Denny's - shudder - and a group of teens come in, I am never surprised when the loud banter contains about 75% F-words. I am not offended by it, if anything it sounds really pretty silly. It verifies my impression that these are kids and not grown up people. Nothing assures immaturity better than a bunch of people arguing over how mature they are. SO think about how others might be perceiving you when you post - and in real life.

I know what you mean. I do swear, but I generally only use it when I find it appropriate to the occasion. Being an afficionado of language, I sometimes find that no words better describe my feelings at particular times. However, I am not gratuitous about it, which I think is the major problem with most people who do it often. If the word doesn't add anything to the sentence, don't use it!

Of course, here is a completely different story altogether. :D

Fram
2005-Mar-09, 03:18 PM
Deleting all mails in your inbox is 5 seconds work. Open it, be certain that you don't want to keep any, and go to the bottom right: delete all. No need to check or select any of them. What's the big deal?
And if someone bothers you here or by PM's, notify the BA, and he will take care of it.
But just read the FAQ and behave yourself according to the spirit of the rules of this board. They aren't hard to follow, but you don't get many warnings before you're banned normally...

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-09, 08:54 PM
oh no!
July 25th 1990

Captain Kidd
2005-Mar-09, 09:10 PM
oh no!

Hehe, I remember when I started losing the "youngest <blank>" title. Hmm, there's only a few left I'm eligible for and I'd rather pass.

Youngest to die in my family.
Youngest to cause a meltdown.
Youngest to...

I didn't willingly pass the torch on, it was more like a club to the back of the head. Start looking out mickal555 ;)

mickal555
2005-Mar-10, 06:50 AM
oh no!
July 25th 1990August the 9th 1990

YES! :D :P

First timer I've ever been pleased about being born later int the year

Enzp
2005-Mar-10, 10:39 AM
Geez, and I was in high school when President Kennedy was shot.

frogesque
2005-Mar-10, 11:09 AM
As one of the older members of the board I know full well how to curse. I've been around engineering shop floors as apprentice and manager for a good part of my life and well, franky if you hit your thumb with a hammer you don't say,"Oh! Deary me!". Also in a 'disussion' I can give as good as I get but once the issue is resolved that's the end of the matter and we get on with the job in hand.

Writing is different. You are in control of what you say, there are preview functions that allow a post to be read before submitting. There's an edit function you can use if you have been too hasty. Confrontational posture is easily misread without eye contact or other body language and smileys, though helpful, are a poor substiute for bad composition. Remember, real people with all their atributes (good and bad) read what you say.

Part of growing up is learning to adjust and be responsive to others less adept at expression. I have had to moderate my own posting style on BA to accomodate not just a highly skilled and learned commuity but an international one as well. BA really is part of the Global Villiage and we have posters who are expert in their fields but to whom English is not their first language. Largely this is no problem because the thought processes shine through the actual words used.

Please don't read this as a, 'get at Vegeta', it isn't. I think you have a valuable contribution to make to the board and can provide a fresh insight into how current problems are percieved by a younger audience. Without that insight there will be no way to inspire the astronomers, scientists and astronauts of the future. We need your input and vision so please, don't go getting banned over something trivial. As others have said, let the BA handle it and show your own restraint. You will gain much more respect by doing so.

To everyone else, yes, bad laguage on the board should not be tollerated and politeness is the keyword but sometimes our younger members do need a little slack if frustration begins to show. As has been said, FWIS is a place where the posting style is a bit less stringent and a gentle redirect might defuse a sitiuation before it gets out of hand.

frogesque
2005-Mar-10, 11:11 AM
Geez, and I was in high school when President Kennedy was shot.

And I was in primary school when Sputnik 1 was beeping its little beep! :lol:

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Mar-10, 07:01 PM
Ha, how many of you remember the wobblies?

Nicolas
2005-Mar-10, 07:11 PM

Those from the Prince Charles thread? 8-[

No, I don't remember them. Never heard of them. Info? :)

WHarris
2005-Mar-10, 07:39 PM

Wobblies? Or do you mean weebles?

Swift
2005-Mar-10, 08:05 PM
Are you referring to the IWW, the Industrial Workers of the World (reference) (http://www.answers.com/topic/industrial-workers-of-the-world)? I can't say I directly remember them, since I believe they were most active in the 1930s, but my dad was active in such social/political movements back then (he was in college at the time) and would talk about them.

Laser Jock
2005-Mar-10, 08:18 PM
July 25th 1990

Wow, missed me by one day ... or at least if you don't look at the year. When you turn 15 this summer, you will be exactly the same age I was the day after you were born. :o

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-10, 08:52 PM
July 25th 1990

Wow, missed me by one day ... or at least if you don't look at the year. When you turn 15 this summer, you will be exactly the same age I was the day after you were born. :o
Eh, I didn't quite get that, Were you saying you are/will be 30 1 day after my birthday? #-o

Laser Jock
2005-Mar-10, 08:58 PM
July 25th 1990

Eh, I didn't quite get that, Were you saying you are/will be 30 1 day after my birthday? #-o

Yes.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-10, 09:02 PM
I'd be willing to bet I'm not as smart as you were then :lol:

Laser Jock
2005-Mar-10, 09:08 PM
I'd be willing to bet I'm not as smart as you were then :lol:

:lol:

I don't know about that. That was the summer that I decided to go out for football. #-o #-o #-o

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-10, 09:15 PM
You think that was stupid? I'm a pro skater! Last summer I broke my leg once, Ankle 2 times, and wrist once! Who's stupid now?! :)

Nicolas
2005-Mar-10, 10:33 PM
Doesn't sound very pro if you break everything except records! :lol:

Enzp
2005-Mar-11, 07:56 AM
Sputnik was a big deal. We were trying hard to respond in kind. I remember enjoying the steady stream of Vanguard failures. Each time it found a new way to blow up. The film montages are still amusing.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-11, 08:58 AM
Sputnik was a big deal. We were trying hard to respond in kind. I remember enjoying the steady stream of Vanguard failures. Each time it found a new way to blow up. The film montages are still amusing.

I just saw them in the Oldfield version (concert drum on every bang :))

I've seen footage not in that clip, of a rocket tipping over and essentialy getting launched horizontally, 10 cm above the ground. It went a loooong way before it encoutered a strucutre and -yes- blew up 8) .

Years later, I really like that footage. It just shows where we come from (and they were unmanned).

Maksutov
2005-Mar-11, 11:57 AM
Actually there was only one instance of a Vanguard "blowing up" on the launching pad. That was TV-3, which was launched on December 6, 1957. A television viewer of the event here. The vehicle actually rose about four feet before a fuel leak between the fuel tank and the rocket engine caused all thrust to be lost at two seconds, at which point the vehicle fell back onto the pad and then exploded. Careful analysis of the film shows the 1.36 kg satellite falling from its post when the nose cone came off.

All the subsequent failures occurred well after liftoff and were mostly out of range of the cameras.

BTW, Vanguard I, which was launched on March 17, 1958, is still in orbit and is the oldest artificial satellite orbiting the Earth.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-11, 12:01 PM
Actually there was only one instance of a Vanguard "blowing up" on the launching pad. That was TV-3, which was launched on December 6, 1957. A television viewer of the event here. The vehicle actually rose about four feet before a fuel leak between the fuel tank and the rocket engine caused all thrust to be lost at two seconds, at which point the vehicle fell back onto the pad and then exploded. Careful analysis of the film shows the 1.36 kg satellite falling from its post when the nose cone came off.

All the subsequent failures occurred well after liftoff and were mostly out of range of the cameras.

BTW, Vanguard I, which was launched on March 17, 1958, is still in orbit and is the oldest artificial satellite orbiting the Earth.

The clips I'm referring to were from multiple early rocket types, including but not exclusively Vanguard. That one that fell back to the launch pad is included. Amazing how that explosion eats away the rocket, the top more or less gently slides into a sea of fire below. There were a lot that blew up at quite high altitude, some that went unstable and were destroyed by mission control, the quoted horizontal one, and I thought one that launched and already at very low altitude blew completely (and extremely hard) up, partially taking out the launch tower in the process.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-11, 12:04 PM
It just strikes me when going back to the main BABB window, it is amazing how we come to early rocket failures from phpbb requests :lol: .

Maksutov
2005-Mar-11, 12:10 PM

The clips I'm referring to were from multiple early rocket types, including but not exclusively Vanguard. That one that fell back to the launch pad is included. Amazing how that explosion eats away the rocket, the top more or less gently slides into a sea of fire below. There were a lot that blew up at quite high altitude, some that went unstable and were destroyed by mission control, the quoted horizontal one, and I thought one that launched and already at very low altitude blew completely (and extremely hard) up, partially taking out the launch tower in the process.
I was responding only to this remark of Enzp's

I remember enjoying the steady stream of Vanguard failures. Each time it found a new way to blow up.
of which there weren't.

Perhaps you've watched the opening of Sibrel's "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon" video a few times too many.

Maksutov
2005-Mar-11, 12:11 PM
It just strikes me when going back to the main BABB window, it is amazing how we come to early rocket failures from phpbb requests :lol: .
Well, if you consider the original note and its originator, there's not much to discuss there.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-11, 12:18 PM
I love those posts that went very soon off topic, and stuck with the "off topic" topic for pages :) Strange phenomonon. 8) On topic from the start would be nicer and more clear of course.

Fram
2005-Mar-11, 12:29 PM
If some of you wonder what Oldfield video Nicolas is referring to: it's 'The Space Movie', a documentary made for (IIRC) BBC's 'Horizon' in 1979 (thereabouts), with only images of space travel (rockets, astronauts, Cape Canaveral, ...) and the sounds of rockets, and the music of Mike Oldfield. Part of it (the exploding rockets part) is available on the Elements DVD. The whole thing can sometimes be found on video, I think it was commercially available, and the documentary was shown in many countries at that time. It's more in the line of Koyaanisqatsi than in the line of a true scientific documentary though, but it is very nice to watch and listen to.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-11, 01:40 PM
That's the one indeed.

the horizontal launch was on another compilation, of which I totaly forgot the source. Many launches were the same on both videos of course (but it didnt have the music)

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-11, 11:56 PM
You realize this is waaaaay off topic? It went from PHPBB to Astronomy (?) in 3 pages!

Normandy6644
2005-Mar-12, 03:04 AM
You realize this is waaaaay off topic? It went from PHPBB to Astronomy (?) in 3 pages!

Well, it is an astronomy board. :wink:

Fram
2005-Mar-12, 02:10 PM
And it's called Babbling: you are not bound to stay on topic that strictly (it gets apreciated if you try to do it in the other fora though). But if you have something to add about the original topic, feel free to do so of course!

Nicolas
2005-Mar-12, 03:25 PM

I do realize it:

It just strikes me when going back to the main BABB window, it is amazing how we come to early rocket failures from phpbb requests :lol:

I love those posts that went very soon off topic, and stuck with the "off topic" topic for pages Strange phenomonon. On topic from the start would be nicer and more clear of course.

:lol:

mickal555
2005-Mar-13, 05:47 AM
I like it when you say somthing about an origonal topic and somone tells you your going off topic...

That has happened

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Feb-27, 03:51 AM
that was interresting for a spammer to choose in something has not been open about nine months.

Neverfly
2007-Feb-27, 04:01 AM
that was interresting for a spammer to choose in something has not been open about nine months.

What is sad is that i started at page one, because i had never seen that thread... i read all the way through it and by the end of page two, i was wondering What on EARTH someone could have possibly added that was NEW?! I considered that maybe a NEW link to phpBB was added or something.. cuz the thread went off on quite a tangent....

only to find a spammer at the very end. I think i blinked exactly two times...:neutral:

:eek:

ToSeek
2007-Feb-27, 04:56 AM
That's actually the second spammer to pick this thread for some reason (the first one was flagged for moderation and so y'all ordinary mortals never saw the post).

I've removed the second spammer's post.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Feb-27, 05:06 AM
thanks ToSeek, it just seemed an odd place for a spammer th struck most of the time it is at the beginning of a thread.

Neverfly
2007-Feb-27, 05:30 AM
Wonder if it has to do with the Title of the thread...

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Feb-27, 05:31 AM
don't know but to bad we could not get a bulletin board for spock, he discuss whatever he wanted.

Whirlpool
2007-Feb-27, 06:52 AM
The good thing is this forum is well taken care of by people like ToSeek.

:)

Neverfly
2007-Feb-27, 08:07 AM
Brownnoser...

Neverfly
2007-Feb-27, 08:08 AM
don't know but to bad we could not get a bulletin board for spock, he discuss whatever he wanted.

im STILL laughing at that one!! :D :razz: :D :wall: :razz: :D :wall:

Whirlpool
2007-Feb-27, 09:30 AM
Brownnoser...

I dont think Im brownnosing here..

Im just telling that without Moderators like ToSeek , this forum wouldnt have its good reputation, since most of the visitors that are browsing this forum are teenagers and students.

:neutral:

Neverfly
2007-Feb-27, 09:34 AM
Yes i know. It was a Lighthearted Joke.