PDA

View Full Version : Total Lunar Eclipse - North America - Predawn 2018 JAN 31

Centaur
2018-Jan-18, 06:17 PM
A Total Lunar Eclipse will be witnessed by many North Americans during the predawn hours of Wednesday 2018 JAN 31. For those of us here in Chicagoland, the Moon will set while still totally eclipsed. Many observers to our east may see only the initial partial phase of the eclipse. Many further west may observe all phases of the eclipse.

Below is a link to my Moon webpage. It includes a preview graphic for the eclipse as seen against an imaginary blue wall to make the shadow fully apparent. The predicted event timings are in CST (UT-6), but will occur at essentially the same real time for all observers experiencing nighttime; just adjust for your time zone. The depicted orientation and Moon altitudes are for an observer in Chicago.

Photos and descriptions of the eclipse would be welcome additions to this thread.

Link: http://www.CurtRenz.com/moon.html

Centaur
2018-Jan-27, 05:13 PM
This Total Lunar Eclipse will occur with the Full Moon near perigee making it appear especially wide, although not quite as wide as the Full Moon earlier this month. Nevertheless, when the upcoming Full Moon is just outside the Earth's penumbra (outer eclipse shadow), it will be the brightest Moon since 2009 and until 2019. Nearness to the ecliptic is what provides the added brightness. www.CurtRenz.com/moon.html

KaiYeves
2018-Jan-27, 06:08 PM
Only partial in New York, and peaking from 6-8 AM... well, even for college students that's "get up early" rather than "stay up late" timing. My first class is at 2, so I don't think there'd be a problem.

Trebuchet
2018-Jan-28, 02:30 AM
I almost posted wondering where my replies went then realized it was on the other forum....

5:30 AM here in the PST zone. I think I may set an alarm.

selvaarchi
2018-Jan-29, 03:07 AM
I am in the right location. Klang, Malaysia. It is at 8.51pm local time.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

selvaarchi
2018-Feb-01, 07:07 AM
I am in the right location. Klang, Malaysia. It is at 8.51pm local time.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk[emoji21]no moon clouded out

Jens
2018-Feb-01, 07:40 AM

In Tokyo it was 9:51 pm. And perfectly cloudless sky! Though it's raining today, so we got lucky.

selvaarchi
2018-Feb-01, 02:31 PM
In Tokyo it was 9:51 pm. And perfectly cloudless sky! Though it's raining today, so we got lucky.Lucky you. I had 7 grandkids in tow that were just as disappointed.

George
2018-Feb-01, 05:07 PM
Clouds greatly restricted the view from Grand Junction. Not worth a picture. The SM rise over the mountain was nice, however.

selvaarchi
2018-Feb-02, 12:04 AM
Now relive the eclipse through pictures and videos in an article in space.com

https://www.space.com/39561-super-blue-blood-moon-2018-stargazers-photos.html

Skywatchers across the globe were treated to a rare Super Blue Blood Moon lunar eclipse yesterday (Jan. 31), and many people got their cameras out to catch a snapshot of the blood moon.

The lunar eclipse was visible in most of North America, Australia, and East and Central Asia. In some regions of Europe and East Africa, skywatchers would have seen a partial eclipse or the end of the total eclipse just after moonrise.