PDA

View Full Version : International Space Station Agencies

philippeb8
2018-Jan-20, 06:56 PM
So I have a technical question I have no idea who else to ask but CQ.

Suppose you want to propose an experiment to the ISS. Which is the best agency you can ask at this point in time?

- NASA likely will stop experimenting for some time because of the current government shutdown
- The Canadian Space Agency (CSA) do not review theories
- The European Space Agency is the only one with some potential but I am not a citizen of Europe

The problem is the ISS will be out-of-service in 2019 so I need to hurry up and find a solution.

Sincerely,
philippeb8

skymapper
2018-Jan-20, 06:59 PM
The current US government shutdown will most likely last a few days or weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about it for something like this.

KaiYeves
2018-Jan-20, 07:20 PM
Well, how formalized is the proposal? If this shutdown is similar to the one that occurred in 2013, then NASA may resume normal operations in a week or two, so if you already know of an address there to send it to, I would recommend just using that time to prepare the proposal with all relevant diagrams, citations, etc., and then submit it once that again becomes possible.

philippeb8
2018-Jan-20, 07:32 PM
Well, how formalized is the proposal?

The proposal is fine but it is dormant right now.

If this shutdown is similar to the one that occurred in 2013, then NASA may resume normal operations in a week or two, so if you already know of an address there to send it to, I would recommend just using that time to prepare the proposal with all relevant diagrams, citations, etc., and then submit it once that again becomes possible.

I do have email addresses from NASA and CASIS and I've been waiting for 2 years but now the time is critical. A government shutdown means employees don't get paid so the structure might change quickly, etc.

philippeb8
2018-Jan-20, 07:52 PM
A government shutdown means employees don't get paid so the structure might change quickly, etc.

https://www.space.com/39436-nasa-plan-for-government-shutdown-2018.html

philippeb8
2018-Jan-20, 09:15 PM

Suppose you want to propose an experiment to the ISS. Which is the best agency you can ask at this point in time?

- NASA likely will stop experimenting for some time because of the current government shutdown
- The European Space Agency is the only one with some potential but I am not a citizen of Europe

The problem is the ISS will be out-of-service in 2019 so I need to hurry up and find a solution.

For the record there's also the UK Space Agency that is currently accepting proposals but you need to be citizen of the UK:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/674237/AO_for_National_Experiments.pdf

Trebuchet
2018-Jan-21, 03:59 PM
How about Japan? (JAXA) Especially if it involves doing something outside, since the Kibo module has a "porch".

philippeb8
2018-Jan-21, 06:10 PM
How about Japan? (JAXA) Especially if it involves doing something outside, since the Kibo module has a "porch".

http://issstream.tksc.jaxa.jp/iss2/documents/guidelines_call_for_proposals_asianTryZero-G_2017-2018_NC.pdf

For 3 reasons:
- You need to be 27 years old or younger
- You need to live in a specific country which Canada isn't part of
- The deadline was April 2017

philippeb8
2018-Jan-21, 06:25 PM

That or I fallback on the good old private sector and try to contact SpaceX & Elon Musk. But that is "mission impossible".

Jeff Root
2018-Jan-21, 10:40 PM
What is the general nature of your experiment?

Who at NASA did you send your proposal to?

Did they acknowledge your submission? If so, what did they say?

What are your time constraints?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

philippeb8
2018-Jan-21, 11:21 PM
What is the general nature of your experiment?

I cannot describe it here because it is of ATM matter but I can say it is very simple.

Who at NASA did you send your proposal to?

Mark C. Lee, PhD
Senior Program Scientist for Fundamental Physics
Space Life and Physical Sciences Division/HEOMD
NASA Headquarters

Did they acknowledge your submission? If so, what did they say?

"Thank you very much for your information on the [THEORY]. NASA would definitely be interested to take a look and to evaluate it to see if it could be incorporated in any of our future space investigation.

Within NASAís Space Life and Physical Sciences Division of HEOMD, we will issue our next NASA Research Announcement (NRA) for Fundamental Physics (FP) Discipline in the spring timeframe of 2017. I would be elated if you can submit a proposal to us so we can peer-review it and assess how to carry your investigation on [THEORY] forward. ..."

What are your time constraints?

The survival of the ISS is at risk after 2020:
https://www.space.com/22105-international-space-station-lifespan-2020.html

I need the ISS because of its speed. It can't be reproduced on the surface of the Earth.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide because I am baffled right now.

glappkaeft
2018-Jan-22, 12:35 AM
The survival of the ISS is at risk after 2020:
https://www.space.com/22105-international-space-station-lifespan-2020.html

That article is from 2013. In 2014 the ISS was funded through 2024 and it is expected to operate until 2028. You are in no way about to miss the bus. If I understand you correctly the main problem seems to be that after 2 years you have still not written the requested proposal.

philippeb8
2018-Jan-22, 01:07 AM
That article is from 2013. In 2014 the ISS was funded through 2024 and it is expected to operate until 2028.

I'm glad to hear that!

You are in no way about to miss the bus. If I understand you correctly the main problem seems to be that after 2 years you have still not written the requested proposal.

After 2 years I am still waiting for the official solicitation.

glappkaeft
2018-Jan-22, 01:45 AM
I'm glad to hear that!

After 2 years I am still waiting for the official solicitation.

I guess you have been keeping up with NSPIRES? If so I guess the solicitation has been delayed, cancelled or replaced by something else, if not you might simply have missed it.

philippeb8
2018-Jan-22, 03:06 AM
I guess you have been keeping up with NSPIRES?

Yes of course.

If so I guess the solicitation has been delayed, cancelled or replaced by something else, if not you might simply have missed it.

I was told it has been delayed. I was supposed to be notified by email.

philippeb8
2018-Jan-22, 08:37 PM
That or I fallback on the good old private sector and try to contact SpaceX & Elon Musk.

Apparently SpaceX is indirectly affected by the shutdown as well:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/19/16910378/government-shutdown-2018-nasa-spacex-iss-falcon-heavy

Great!

philippeb8
2018-Jan-23, 02:56 AM
The current US government shutdown will most likely last a few days or weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about it for something like this.

You were right, skymapper! Yes!!

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/22/579603941/shutdown-day-3-senate-plans-midday-vote-amid-active-negotiations

philippeb8
2018-Jan-23, 11:13 PM

For the record, CSA currently accepts some proposals but I am not sure if they cover fundamental physics:
http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/funding-programs/funding-opportunities/default.asp

BetaDust
2018-Jan-23, 11:42 PM
I need the ISS because of its speed. It can't be reproduced on the surface of the earth.

If it is just orbital speed you need,
How big is the payload? Could it be attached to a cubesat?
There are a lot of folks launching things into orbit these days.

-- Dennis

philippeb8
2018-Jan-23, 11:46 PM
If it is just orbital speed you need,
How big is the payload? Could it be attached to a cubesat?
There are a lot of folks launching things into orbit these days.

-- Dennis

The payload isnít that big; maybe the size of a microwave. But it needs to be protected from radiation, etc.

I think a cubesat is too small...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BetaDust
2018-Jan-24, 12:05 AM
The next question would be, how long does this experiment needs to remain in orbit?
(Sinds you are talking of radiation protection.)

-- Dennis

philippeb8
2018-Jan-24, 02:23 AM
The next question would be, how long does this experiment needs to remain in orbit?
(Sinds you are talking of radiation protection.)

-- Dennis

Itís just a matter of orienting the apparatus correctly, taking note of the measurement, rotating the apparatus 90 degrees, taking note of the measurement. Thatís it, really. For details of the apparatus please PM me.

As a matter of fact I donít think the radiation level will be a problem if the equipment is inside the ISS.

Jens
2018-Jan-24, 04:07 AM
It’s just a matter of orienting the apparatus correctly, taking note of the measurement, rotating the apparatus 90 degrees, taking note of the measurement. That’s it, really. For details of the apparatus please PM me.

I think I can guess what kind of experiment from the description. :)

tusenfem
2018-Jan-24, 02:21 PM
It’s just a matter of orienting the apparatus correctly, taking note of the measurement, rotating the apparatus 90 degrees, taking note of the measurement. That’s it, really. For details of the apparatus please PM me.

As a matter of fact I don’t think the radiation level will be a problem if the equipment is inside the ISS.

If experimental physics was only that easy.

philippeb8
2018-Jan-27, 10:10 PM
If experimental physics was only that easy.

The idea seems legitimate but alas I'm the only one interested in it so the process is extremely slow. Sorry about that.