PDA

View Full Version : Super scopes of the future

ToSeek
2005-Mar-09, 05:44 PM
Super Telescopes in Space and on the Moon (http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/050309_lunar_scope.html)

"I wouldn’t be surprised if school children of 2050 were learning the names of continents on Earth-like worlds around other stars."

A.DIM
2005-Mar-09, 05:55 PM
Nor would I!

publiusr
2005-Mar-10, 08:07 PM
Solar Foci scopes need to come before a moonbase scope.

John Kierein
2005-Mar-10, 09:25 PM
liquid mercury mirrors wouldn't work on the dark side of the moon. Too cold. Mercury freezes at -38F and the dark side gets to -233F.

Sheki
2005-Mar-12, 01:03 AM

I second that motion!

I've been preoccupied with the concept of a solar focus scope for the past 3 years.

Oh well. You know what they say - If I were king of the world things would be different. Not any better mind you, but they'd be different!

Sheki

um3k
2005-Mar-12, 01:19 AM
What is a solar foci scope? :oops:

dvb
2005-Mar-12, 01:24 AM
liquid mercury mirrors wouldn't work on the dark side of the moon. Too cold. Mercury freezes at -38F and the dark side gets to -233F.

Don't you mean the far side of the moon?

And even the far side, isn't always dark. :)

dvb
2005-Mar-12, 01:25 AM
What is a solar foci scope? :oops:

That was my next question. :lol:

Sheki
2005-Mar-12, 01:37 AM
A solar focus scope would involve sending a telescope out to the fringes of our solar system and then pointing it back toward the sun to use the sun's gravity as the "primary" lense of a telescope. You just can't beat it for resolving power.

Sheki

Sheki
2005-Mar-12, 01:55 AM
Here is some info http://www.tsgc.utexas.edu/archive/design/foci/. Dubious quality maybe, but it is a bit more informative than what I posted above.

Sheki

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-12, 04:52 AM
Well, that is the awsomest idea I've heard in a long time. One question, though: why is the plural foci used? Would the telescope somehow occupy more than one solar focus?

Sheki
2005-Mar-12, 12:44 PM
I think the idea is that you change the position of the telescope to occupy different foci and hence image different areas of the universe. (kind like having an ordinary telescope mounted so that the whole instrument pivots under the primary lense.

Sheki

um3k
2005-Mar-12, 07:16 PM
](*,)

Think about it. How long does it take Pluto (49 AU) to orbit the sun? Now, taking into consideration that the larger the radius of an orbit, the longer it takes to make a complete orbit, how long do you think it would take to move from one place to another place relative to the sun at 550 AU? That's right. You'll only be able to observe one tiny area. Either I'm mistaken or there hasn't been all that much thought put into this idea.

ngc3314
2005-Mar-12, 10:29 PM
Think about it. How long does it take Pluto (49 AU) to orbit the sun? Now, taking into consideration that the larger the radius of an orbit, the longer it takes to make a complete orbit, how long do you think it would take to move from one place to another place relative to the sun at 550 AU? That's right. You'll only be able to observe one tiny area. Either I'm mistaken or there hasn't been all that much thought put into this idea.

It's a problem (or at least "a technical limitation to be faced in mission planning"). One solution recognizes that gravitational lensing creates a radial focal line, not a focal point, so that a solar-escape trajectory with some transverse component sweeps out a curve across the sky. Even so, getting information from highly magnified regions can be tricky because the distortion gets large (for the same reason the magnification along a ring-shaped zone can be large).

Sheki
2005-Mar-12, 11:43 PM
You'll only be able to observe one tiny area.

That's why we need a lot of 'em :wink: . And that's also why the info that I linked to indicated that nuclear propulsion was kinda important to the concept.

Either I'm mistaken or there hasn't been all that much thought put into this idea.

So go ahead and start thinking.

Cheers,

Sheki
(secretly building a grass-roots solar foci space telescope program movement since `03)