PDA

View Full Version : Which podcasts do you listen to and what are they about?

cosmicboom
2018-Mar-06, 01:13 PM
The title says it all!
I will start first. Currently, my favorite podcast Mile Higher Podcast- conspiracy theories, space, government, etc. There are still new currently it's their 8th episode but I enjoy listening to them.
What about you?

John Mendenhall
2018-Mar-06, 05:39 PM
Anything UT and CQ,

Why? Responsible programming, good speakers, topics of interest,

profloater
2018-Mar-06, 07:18 PM
I listen to one "art of the float" its relevant to my interests, float tanks. But also bbc "from our own correspondent" and " in our time" and "the life scientific" if i cannot listen at live broadcast. Also from pbs Garrison Keillor in days past..oh and another from bbc "crossing continents" i especually like in our time you can get to all the many previous episides on such a wide range of subjects, science, histofy, people, etc.

The Backroad Astronomer
2018-Mar-06, 07:26 PM
Here is a thread wit a lot of podcast suggestions.
https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?166206-Off-topic-podcast-suggestions&highlight=podcast

swampyankee
2018-Mar-06, 09:48 PM
Write now, Finn Dwyer’s Irish History podcast (I’m not Irish), the Revolutions podcast, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me, and Ask Me Another

cosmicboom
2018-Mar-07, 08:48 AM
Here is a thread wit a lot of podcast suggestions.
https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?166206-Off-topic-podcast-suggestions&highlight=podcast
I will check it out, thanks! :)

Write now, Finn Dwyer’s Irish History podcast (I’m not Irish), the Revolutions podcast, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me, and Ask Me Another
Oh, I know about Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, and Ask Me Another. A friend of mine said that it is a lot of fun and chilled out

grant hutchison
2018-Mar-07, 09:32 PM
I don't really get podcasts. Information density so low that I begrudge the time that I could have spent reading a book, but sufficiently high that I'm too distracted to do anything useful at the same time.

Grant Hutchison

John Mendenhall
2018-Mar-07, 10:18 PM
I don't really get podcasts. Information density so low that I begrudge the time that I could have spent reading a book, but sufficiently high that I'm too distracted to do anything useful at the same time.

Grant Hutchison

They are nice in the background while you are eating. Just don''t get food on the keyboard. :doh:

grant hutchison
2018-Mar-07, 11:08 PM
They are nice in the background while you are eating. Just don''t get food on the keyboard. :doh:Ah. I don't get "background while eating" either.

Grant Hutchison

John Mendenhall
2018-Mar-07, 11:49 PM
Ah. I don't get "background while eating" either.

Grant Hutchison

Sitting at your desk, computer at hand, eating bag lunch. Podcasts make good background noise. Lots better than reading last month's financial statement. :whistle:

grant hutchison
2018-Mar-07, 11:55 PM
Sitting at your desk, computer at hand, eating bag lunch. Podcasts make good background noise. Lot's better than reading last month's financial statement. :whistle:Nah. Eating time is for eating. I'm a serial mono-tasker.

Grant Hutchison

Strange
2018-Mar-08, 12:25 AM
Another great BBC podcast is More or Less where they analyses statistics and other numbers in the news.

Strange
2018-Mar-08, 12:29 AM

Grant Hutchison

I tend to agree. I used to listen while driving to work. Now I am months behind on the only one I listened to regularly. I just don’t have the time (or inclination) to just sit and listen.

KaiYeves
2018-Mar-08, 01:02 AM

Grant Hutchison
I like to play them on headphones while I load, unload, and fold my laundry (or at home, empty the dishwasher). For simple, dull tasks like that, it's just enough of an external stimulus to be interesting but not enough to be distracting.

Solfe
2018-Mar-08, 01:16 AM
I like to play them on headphones while I load, unload, and fold my laundry (or at home, empty the dishwasher). For simple, dull tasks like that, it's just enough of an external stimulus to be interesting but not enough to be distracting.

Oh, no. I listen while a drive. :)

swampyankee
2018-Mar-08, 01:17 AM

Grant Hutchison

Podcasts are good for my commute, which is two hours each way, mostly by train.

grant hutchison
2018-Mar-08, 01:41 AM
Oh, no. I listen while a drive. :)Yeah. A couple of decades ago, my job plan once involved a one-hour drive, there and back, once a week. I thought I'd improve my French by listening to a teaching CD while I drove. After a year, my French was no better and my driving was much worse.

Grant Hutchison

grant hutchison
2018-Mar-08, 01:51 AM
I like to play them on headphones while I load, unload, and fold my laundry (or at home, empty the dishwasher). For simple, dull tasks like that, it's just enough of an external stimulus to be interesting but not enough to be distracting.Wow. You must do a lot of laundry. I'd manage a few minutes a week on that regimen. And I rather enjoy the mindfulness that comes with washing dishes by hand (and ironing), so that's not going to work for me, either.

Grant Hutchison

The Backroad Astronomer
2018-Mar-08, 02:25 AM
Most of daytime I just listen to podcast and in the evening it is mostly is tv depending what is on.

Swift
2018-Mar-08, 06:25 PM
I like Scott Manley's YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxzC4EngIsMrPmbm6Nxvb-A). I think his background is computers, but he does a lot of stuff on space exploration, general science topics, and science fiction oriented gaming. I've enjoyed his stuff about Kerbal Space Program and I don't even play with it.

cosmicboom
2018-Mar-13, 11:36 AM
I enjoy listening to podcasts while I am going to work or go back home, while cleaning, washing dishes, cooking, etc. I want a huge fan of podcasts but recently I am obsessed I feel like I can't do anything if I don't have a background noise going on.

cowolter
2018-Jul-01, 12:17 PM
I've listened to podcasts regularly since 2005. Over the years, I have subscribed to many. It's sad to say goodbye to a podcast I like after years of enjoyment, but it's sometimes necessary to clear the way for new ones.

The ones I truly look forward to hearing every time are...
Slate's Political Gabfest
Comedy Bang Bang
Planet Money
First 15 minutes of Savage Love

Solfe
2018-Jul-03, 01:23 AM
I've been listening to The Best and Worst of Disney and The Dis Unplugged. I have had a non-optional break from work, so it kills the time.