PDA

View Full Version : Wait a minute... QB1 has a name?

parallaxicality
2018-Mar-27, 07:57 PM
Apparently it's been called Albion for the last three months and I never knew it. (https://www.minorplanetcenter.net/db_search/show_object?object_id=15760)

Is there a way to find out how this happened? I know that David and Jane don't have naming rights anymore. Did the IAU just slap a name on it?

grant hutchison
2018-Mar-27, 10:39 PM
Bodies are always officially named by the Working Group for Small Body Nomenclature - the discoverers just have a ten-year window in which to propose a name to the WGSBN, which can be rejected.
The WG's official position of late has been to give priority to naming bodies that have some sort of scientific significance, so I'd guess they felt (15760) 1992 QB1 was past due a name, and were conscious of how quickly the list of creation deities might be used up (as witness the obscurity of the name they've come up with).

If you want to find out how they made the specific choice, I guess you could try emailing the WG Chair or Secretary, who are listed here (http://www.klet.org/csbn/).

Grant Hutchison

eburacum45
2018-Mar-28, 01:32 AM
Albion isn't that obscure - but I'd have preferred Urizen, myself.

grant hutchison
2018-Mar-28, 08:19 AM
Albion isn't that obscure - but I'd have preferred Urizen, myself.Not obscure if you've heard of him, certainly. But I'd bet most people who've heard of "Albion" think of it as a placename.

Grant Hutchison

ngc3314
2018-Mar-28, 03:37 PM
So Cubewanos are now Albionos? (Autocorrect - hilarity ensues).

grant hutchison
2018-Mar-28, 03:46 PM
So Cubewanos are now Albionos? (Autocorrect - hilarity ensues).Yes - it occurred to me that they hadn't really thought that one through. These objects are going to be Albinos and Albinonis forever now.

Grant Hutchison

George
2018-Mar-28, 09:13 PM
Yes - it occurred to me that they hadn't really thought that one through. These objects are going to be Albinos and Albinonis forever now. Ug. Does Bode have a descendent at WGSBN? It doesn't even have a high albedo? ;)

Tom Mazanec
2018-Apr-15, 02:03 AM
I'm still hoping they name 2007OR10