PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor galaxy tidier than expected

ToSeek
2005-Mar-11, 05:19 PM
Hassled galaxy 'thriving on chaos' (http://www.physorg.com/news3347.html)

Powerful but unknown forces are at work in a small companion galaxy of the Milky Way, astronomers say in today's issue of the journal Science. Something is keeping the structure and magnetic field of this galaxy–the Large Magellanic Cloud–strong and ordered, even while the Milky Way's gravity works to tear them apart.

A team led by Bryan Gaensler of the Harvard*Smithsonian for Astrophysics used the CSIRO Australia Telescope near Narrabri in NSW to study the galaxy's magnetic field.

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-11, 06:41 PM
And their furniture is really quite nice! I don't know, Herbert, I thought they looked a little scruffy at first but I think I'm starting to change my mind . . .

publiusr
2005-Mar-11, 10:05 PM
I just have a really big mop.

Jpax2003
2005-Mar-12, 03:01 AM
Be careful here, when we start talking about order existing contrary to laws of nature. Someone might invoke the God Force.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-12, 03:44 AM
That's pretty weird, But how close is this galaxy? Is it the closest to us? And if it was literally RIPPED IN HALF by the milky way, Would there be a massive explosion? And is it headed towards us?

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-12, 04:31 AM
That's pretty weird, But how close is this galaxy? Is it the closest to us? And if it was literally RIPPED IN HALF by the milky way, Would there be a massive explosion? And is it headed towards us?
I don't think there would be an explosion. Galaxies are held together by nothing but gravity, so if a stronger gravitational force takes hold of them, I think they just come apart.