PDA

View Full Version : Outsourcing reaches a new... well... help me with this one.

Doodler
2005-Mar-11, 10:41 PM
What will they think of next? (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2005-03-10-mcd_x.htm)

Outsourcing drive thru order taking?! :o

Chuck
2005-Mar-11, 10:47 PM
http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/offthemark/archive/images/offthemark2005610310310.gif

Evan
2005-Mar-11, 10:51 PM
They think customers are POed now when they get the order wrong just imagine when the teen at the wicket hands them the wrong order and the customer complains. The teen then says "but I didn't take your order, someone in South Dakota did". BOOM

Can you imagine how excrutiatingly stupefyingly BORING such a job would be?

Gillianren
2005-Mar-11, 11:51 PM
in fact, yes. I used to take credit card applications over the phone.

I really don't think this is going to solve any problems, given the number of people fired from that place for giving wrong information. (technically, so was I, but they never played me the tape that supposedly confirmed it.)

so, what? you call in your order from the drive-through (I refuse to spell it "thru") box, and they transmit it to the McDonald's? how on Earth does this work? and if it's more complicated, which it sure sounds like to me (I worked fast food once, too), wouldn't that give more problems, and therefore probably more foul-ups?

mike alexander
2005-Mar-11, 11:52 PM
And imagine if you got the wrong call center:

"How can I help you?"

"I'd like a Big Mac and Fries."

"Oh, I am sorry to hear your Mac fried, but this is the Dell support center. You should contact Apple."

"I don't want an apple! Mac, fries and shake!"

"Shaking will not help, and may damage internal components. I would try a cold boot first."

"Look, I KNOW they taste like old boots, but I'm hooked on 'em!"

Maksutov
2005-Mar-11, 11:57 PM
I love this:

Call center professionals with "very strong communication skills" could help boost order accuracy and ultimately speed up the time it takes customers to get in and out of the drive-thrus, the company said.

"You have a professional order taker with strong communications skills whose job is to do nothing but take down orders," said Matthew Paull, McDonald's chief financial officer.
Those of us who have ordered (or used to order) merchandise by phone know what a pleasure it typically was to deal with "professional order takers". I can just imagine the verbal fights that will break out at the ordering station when the "professional order taker" decides he/she knows better than the customer what the customer wants, and also takes the position that the "professional order taker" never makes a mistake.

Of course this is being pushed by McD-minus's CFO (i.e., head bean-counter), so you know what the actual motivation is: forget about sacking the correct burgers, the important thing is to sack more workers to decrease operating expenses.

This doesn't affect me though. Since I watch a bit of football and college basketball, I'm exposed to McD-minus ads all the time, although thanks to the mute button I never hear them. It seems that inner-city youths are their marketing target now, and since I don't fit that profile, I don't bother with McD-minus. Not that I ever did anyway.

I can see this outsourcing reaching its logical conclusion when the following "conversation" occurs at an electronic ordering station:

"Yo buss dis. Give me a cheeseburguh, large fry, an' a large Coke. Aww yea foo."

"Meine Entschuldigungen, haben wir keinen Käse. Folglich wir werden geben Ihnen einen hamburger ohne Käse."

Moose
2005-Mar-12, 12:05 AM
Call center professionals with "very strong communication skills" could help boost order accuracy and ultimately speed up the time it takes customers to get in and out of the drive-thrus, the company said.

Which would be fine, if we'd ever seen any evidence whatsoever that outsourced call centers hired people with communication skills. The criterion is usually that the person will work 20+ hour days for a very small wage.

And what happens when you're the only person in line at Orange Peel, AZ, and you get "all our operators are busy, but your call is important to us so please stay on the line for the next twenty minutes and we'll take your call as soon as we can."

This is a terrible idea. (Not that I go to McDonald's anymore.)

Brady Yoon
2005-Mar-12, 01:37 AM
WHY did they outsource customer service??? I can't understand a word those people say, and it takes me more than an hour to fix the computer. :(

paulie jay
2005-Mar-12, 11:46 AM
What? No three second delay, crackling party line and Peter Sellers impersonation at the other end...?

zebo-the-fat
2005-Mar-12, 01:34 PM
I would rather have them spend money on making their coffee taste of coffee, (tastes like mud, but it was ground this morning!) :(

Jpax2003
2005-Mar-13, 04:49 AM
This has the potential to change the demographics of fast food. Instead of young americans working at McD, we can employ adult american speakers at a call center in Fargo, New Delhi, or even a future Luna City. Then McD can hire mexicans that don't even know english to work in the low income "restaurants". Next Step, Remote Tellers inside the "restaurant". If we work at it we can remove all human contact from the future.

Gillianren
2005-Mar-13, 11:36 PM
if you people think the order-takers are bad, you should try being the person on the other end.

I had I don't know how many people who didn't even realize that they were applying for a credit card. I had people who didn't want us to do a credit check; just give them the card, please. I had people who refused to give any personal information. I had people who wanted me to violate federal laws for them.

sure, none of that will apply in the McDonald's situation, but I practically stab my finger through the "mute" button every time those obnoxious David Spade Capital One commercials come on the air, because I know how much grief my friends who are still taking their applications get because that's the image people have of people in the field.

yes, the main goal of the company was to get people who would work 40-hour weeks w/no scheduling restrictions for just barely over minimum wage. yes, the company would rather fire you than spend money on better training. yes, I get annoyed when people call me w/solicitation calls, too. (especially those new ones that are just a recording.)

then again, I've been on the other end, and most of the problems are not the employee's fault but the company's. I know an awful lot of single parents trying to support their kids on that pittance. and no matter how hard they work, and no matter how good they are at their job, the company would rather fire them and hire new trainees than give them a raise every six months. I've known people who worked in that kind of job for years, but they're all perfectly aware how close they are to being fired.

Tuckerfan
2005-Mar-13, 11:52 PM
Just remember, if they outsource the drive thrus to New Dehli, we need to make a big deal about what the food's made out of! ;)

Maksutov
2005-Mar-14, 01:01 AM
This has the potential to change the demographics of fast food. Instead of young americans working at McD, we can employ adult american speakers at a call center in Fargo, New Delhi, or even a future Luna City. Then McD can hire mexicans that don't even know english to work in the low income "restaurants". Next Step, Remote Tellers inside the "restaurant". If we work at it we can remove all human contact from the future.
Why not? They've already removed all human food! 8)

Sammy
2005-Mar-14, 05:59 AM
You wany curry with that? :P

Stregone
2005-Mar-14, 06:13 AM

Kinda reminds me of an old burger king that used to be around here in the 80's early 90's. You didn't actualy have a person right at the drive up window. There was a tray on a little motorized track thing. It went up and then over the 'dining room' and then down into the kitchen area. I remember being fascenated by it as a kid, because it was encolsed in glass so you could see the food on the tray going over and people picking it up, and then the tray going back to the kitchen with the next persons money on it.

Nergal
2005-Mar-14, 01:47 PM
You wany curry with that? :P
That would be a marked improvement of the food quality.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Mar-14, 01:56 PM
A logical next step for fast food. Despite the politically correct corporate rhetoric about their employees being their most valuable asset, blah, blah, blah; payroll is their biggest expense, which makes employees their biggest liability. McD's would be happiest if the only people they had to pay were shareholders and the technicians that kept the machines running.

Maksutov
2005-Mar-14, 02:04 PM
Perhaps, if there's any justice, Matthew Paull (wow, what an affected last name) will experience something like this:

http://img82.exs.cx/img82/3513/cfo4gt.th.gif (http://img82.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img82&image=cfo4gt.gif)

10stone5
2005-Mar-14, 07:11 PM
Our company - a tech outfit - decided to join the fray rather than get beat out.

Instead of paying someone else to outsource their own employees - my company formed its own outsourcing division. That way they can still outsource their own employees, but at least they get a piece of the action !!