PDA

View Full Version : The Frozen Hell That is the Northeast! (A Rant)

Vega115
2005-Mar-12, 01:01 PM
[rant]This is it...I have had it with all this snow. Long Island has become a godforesake frozen hell that is covered in a sheath of snow...ETERNALLY!

Seriously, we have had snow on the ground nonstop, 24/7 since Xmas. Since Christmas. And now, we are getting more. I used to love snow, now i hate it with the deepest fury that my heart could manage. :evil:

What tops it all off is that today, March 12th, were the first set of the New SAT's. Which I was scheduled to take. What happens? They are cancelled. Of course.

Thats just the start of it...We didn't find out it was cancelled until we got to the testing center! After a 40 minute drive through hell and back (my school didn't offer them today). Downed power lines, branches from trees falling, skidding out, and fish tailing...that drive sucked. It really did.

Plus, the Township I live it (Town of Islip) does not plow the streets until the storm is over. Seriously...they just don't. Everyone else gets perfectly plowed, clear streets during a snowstorm, but no....not us. WE are stuck with streets covered with 5-6 inches of snow, power lines left in the middle of the road, and huge snow mounds in the middle of the road from the morons who plow out parking lots, and leave the snow in the middle of street which we have to dodge when driving, thus causing us to fishtail!

The main roads like Montauk Highway and other highways do get plowed, but c'mon! It's utter hell going through the side streets.

Now where the hell is the hairdryer so i can start single-handily melting it all... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I can't wait for spring.

[/rant over]

mickal555
2005-Mar-12, 01:20 PM
North East.... hey thats where I live, I don't think it has ever snowed here though, the colds down south.

Moose
2005-Mar-12, 01:32 PM
Eh, it's been a fairly typical year for snow around here. There should be good (but cold) boating water on the river for the first half of summer.

Doodler
2005-Mar-12, 02:04 PM
Snow is fine, those ice storms back in '95, though... You can keep them.

Grendl
2005-Mar-12, 02:16 PM
It's sunny here now and will get to 80 degrees today; I'm in shorts and a tank-top right now. Happy shoveling!

(The first 26 yrs of my life were in CT, so I paid my shoveling dues)

Argos
2005-Mar-12, 02:21 PM
I think id like some snow now. Though tardily this year, summer has decided to show its fiery face. Its 90F out there.

Normandy6644
2005-Mar-12, 03:21 PM
I said I like it, but that might be because this is my first full winter up here since I was 4. :D

Spacewriter
2005-Mar-12, 03:23 PM
I've just about reached my limit for snow... we're in the REAL Northeast (Massachusetts, just south of the NH border) -- you guys down on Long Island are in the tropics! ;)

Grendl
2005-Mar-12, 03:58 PM
If it's any consolation to you Northerners, I'm getting killed by tree pollen and mold spores and "ozone season" has begun (March-Nov). Bad, bad, sinus problems.

Normandy6644
2005-Mar-12, 04:44 PM
If it's any consolation to you Northerners, I'm getting killed by tree pollen and mold spores and "ozone season" has begun (March-Nov). Bad, bad, sinus problems.

That's actually one of the reasons I like being here. Florida would drive me crazy with allergies all year, but here I don't get them at all.

Parrothead
2005-Mar-12, 05:48 PM
At least this morning I got away with just sweeping the driveway and porch of snow. To me its not so much the snow as the seemingly steady cold temperatures. Just hoping spring arrives on time...

N C More
2005-Mar-12, 06:00 PM
We're getting another 4 to 8 inches as I type.

At this point saying that I "hate" snow seems like such an understatement. :evil:

the_shaggy_one
2005-Mar-12, 06:27 PM
I don't understand how people can't handle a little snow and cold. Up here, 35 degrees is too hot for jackets, and 50 degrees is shorts weather.

Maybe I've got antifreeze for blood.

Dark Helmet
2005-Mar-12, 06:35 PM
I love Southern California... :D

beskeptical
2005-Mar-12, 06:52 PM
Err could someone truck a bit of the extra snow to WA so I can water my yard this summer?

Messenger
2005-Mar-12, 09:20 PM
Yeah, well, try Canada for snow...I get worried if we don't have snow 24/7 after Christmas. I went out to the Rockies last fall; walked up the Columbia Ice Field. It was absolutely stunning; all grey and white and pristine. Canada's all about the snow. :D

Grendl
2005-Mar-12, 11:47 PM
Well, Vega, if you get snowed in tonight you can always watch MANSQUITOon the Sci-Fi channel. I Googled and there's a lot of buzz about it (no pun intended). After watching that thing on Bravo scary movies last night, I'm in the mood for some insects. 8-[

They misprinted the day, it's tonight:
http://www.scifi.com/mansquito/

Normandy6644
2005-Mar-12, 11:49 PM
Well, Vega, if you get snowed in tonight you can always watch MANSQUITOon the Sci-Fi channel. I Googled and there's a lot of buzz about it (no pun intended).

Oh come on, that was so great! Intend the pun! Intend it!!! :lol:

Grendl
2005-Mar-13, 12:10 AM
Well, Vega, if you get snowed in tonight you can always watch MANSQUITOon the Sci-Fi channel. I Googled and there's a lot of buzz about it (no pun intended).

Oh come on, that was so great! Intend the pun! Intend it!!! :lol:
Ok, ok, I intend it, but there really is some blog buzz about it and I really am going to watch it...nothing like instilling fear of mosquitoes in Houston Swamp, TX...we don't get snowplows, we get RAID sprayers! (It's sort of creepy to me).

Just trying to make the snow folks feel better after tending to my plants outside in shorts; turned out to be a breezy 78 degrees today.

He's kind of cute. This was their attempt to fool around with death row inmates.
http://www.scifi.com/onair/scifipictures/images/mansquito_img.jpg

mythrealwriter
2005-Mar-13, 03:10 AM
I, like you Vega, hate the snow. I live in Northfield Vermont where it has snowed almost everyday since Christmas, and tons of that wet gloppy stuff, nasty, heavy, wet and cold. Its March for heavens sake! It should be thawing out, the snow should be melting, we should be dealing with the Sucking Mud of Doom, not the Eternal Winter. I for one think mud would be a welcome reprieve, at least then there wouldn't be any snow. My biggest reason for hating winter is because I want to go outside without dressing like an eskimo (My apologise to any eskimos out there I really have nothing against you I just don't want to be you). I want to run around in bare feet . I hate shoes, can't stand them and would rather not wear them (Odd for a girl huh?) My take on this.
DOWN WITH WINTER AND ON WITH SUMMER!

Spacewriter
2005-Mar-13, 03:58 PM
Oh, no I understand quite well Myth. Right now Mud Season will be a welcome respite. I just went out and shoveled about five hundred pounds of this white cement from our side deck. The driveway is next...

Here is a shot of our back yard about an hour ago and one from the driveway shortly thereafter. We already had more than a foot leftover from the previous storms, this one added about 8 more inches onto the ever-growing piles.

Backyard:
http://www.thespacewriter.com/snow1.jpg http://www.thespacewriter.com/snow2.jpg

Vega115
2005-Mar-13, 04:30 PM
Oh, no I understand quite well Myth. Right now Mud Season will be a welcome respite. I just went out and shoveled about five hundred pounds of this white cement from our side deck. The driveway is next...

Here is a shot of our back yard about an hour ago and one from the driveway shortly thereafter. We already had more than a foot leftover from the previous storms, this one added about 8 more inches onto the ever-growing piles.

Backyard:
http://www.thespacewriter.com/snow1.jpg http://www.thespacewriter.com/snow2.jpg

I know how you feel...here is my webshots album from the big Blizzard of '05:

http://community.webshots.com/album/287420611SuIzpx

Doodler
2005-Mar-13, 04:55 PM
Vega, I get cold just LOOKING at those pictures... :o

Meteora
2005-Mar-14, 10:11 AM
I bought a new Subaru Forester last May and was hoping to see how it handled on snow and ice this winter. So far, I've been able to drive it on just a tiny bit of snow (once) and curb-to-curb ice (once). Woo hoo. (It did great, by the way.) So, I wouldn't mind a little more snow this season. But now we're almost into tornado season here - the time I occasionally drive my older Oldsmobile ("old Olds?") to work in case we get big hail or something.

Argos
2005-Mar-14, 01:00 PM
My biggest reason for hating winter is because I want to go outside without dressing like an eskimo (My apologise to any eskimos out there I really have nothing against you I just don't want to be you).

I think they prefer to be called "Inuits". :wink:

jfribrg
2005-Mar-15, 12:43 AM
I still like snow, but driving home today, I realized that its time for some spring weather. Went sledding with the kids earlier this year. That ramp that some other kids built on the hill was too tempting. Ended up with a cracked rib. But I still like snow.

Lurker
2005-Mar-15, 01:59 AM
Um... I voted -- "MORE MORE MORE!!! The Frozen Northeast is where it's at!"

But then it doesn't snow out here in San Francisco :-k

I just like seeing the mess of a good blizzard on cnn.com.... :wink:

Trebuchet
2005-Mar-15, 03:02 AM
Err could someone truck a bit of the extra snow to WA so I can water my yard this summer?

I second that emotion! It's way too nice here for this time of year. Yard work is falling behind.

Van Rijn
2005-Mar-15, 11:43 PM
We finally had a chance to mow the lawn and do general yard work this last week. Sacramento was exceptionally wet this year. Winters here are generally a combination of wet and foggy - but that broke recently with temperatures getting into the mid 80s. It is getting cool again - high 60s in the day. Ah, well.

In Sacramento, you "see" snow every decade or so. That is: If you are in a tall building you can see the snow falling. At ground level it has probably already melted or lasts a few seconds. Every few decades there is actually measurable snow on the ground. You go up to the "hills" to see real snow. It is a mixed bag though - the fog sets in at these low altitudes, and it is often worth going up to get a glimpse of the sun. I've lived in places where you get plenty of snow. I miss it occasionally, but not very often.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-16, 01:07 AM
I read the title as "the frozen hell that is the North Sea"

It thought " :o Am I mssing something??? :o "

:lol:

We had serious cold and snow last week, now it's going in the 20)C direction. Both have their charms. I would like a real winter with both snow and ice fun however :). And a real summer with nice warm swimming days. I've got some scuba gear to check. 8)

Klausnh
2005-Mar-16, 01:59 AM
After last weekend's 12" snowfall, we now have a 24 inch snowcover. All I can say is

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow.

dvb
2005-Mar-16, 02:24 AM
Linky (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19856&) to what winter has been like here so far.

cyswxman
2005-Mar-16, 06:45 PM
Hopefully we can catch up with the rest of you. Our peak snow season is starting now.

10stone5
2005-Mar-16, 11:49 PM
The last time I took part was the blizzard of '96. I dug my car out and high-tailed it to Blue Mountain [taking 3 hours to get there] - to catch the fresh powder.

Beyond that moment - it was no fun at all.

I live in N Cal. now !!