PDA

View Full Version : Margot Kidder (Lois Lane) has died

Jim
2018-May-14, 08:21 PM
Margot Kidder, who found fame as Lois Lane in the 1978 film "Superman," died Sunday at her home in Montana ... the actress died peacefully in her sleep.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/entertainment/margot-kidder-superman-actress-dead/index.html

Gillianren
2018-May-14, 11:08 PM
http://www.the-solute.com/actings-fun-but-lifes-more-important-margot-kidder-1948-2018/

DaveC426913
2018-May-14, 11:21 PM
RIP Lois.

Solfe
2018-May-15, 02:28 AM
I am out of time right now, but...

This is a blow. She was kind of important to me on a developmental level. She had a breakdown which was widely reported in the news and at the time my mother was having similar (but different) issues. I recalled thinking "Ah, so this does happen to other people. It could be anyone." That was informative and somehow comforting. It was not that someone was having problems, but that these issues are just a part of life and you can be your own person who does cool and great things anyway, because that is also a part of your life.

Movies were one of the best openings to converse with my mom, and of course, Superman was one of the ones we watched or talked about together. Some of my best stories about my mom revolved around the movies. I recall having the Superman Soundtrack on record and Margot Kidder's voice is the only one on the album.

DonM435
2018-May-15, 02:41 AM
I used to confuse her with Margeaux Hemingway, another gorgeous, exotic actress with some problems. The latter died quite young.

otakenji
2018-May-15, 05:57 AM
What is sad is that her acting career ended after her mental breakdown. THere is still to this day a social stigma about people with mental illness that is grossly unfair.

jamesabrown
2018-May-15, 12:53 PM
Is it just me? I swear I thought she had already passed away. I remember Christopher Reeve giving a nice comment about working with her, the kind of thing people say about coworkers who have passed on.

bknight
2018-May-15, 04:05 PM
RIP, Margot

Gillianren
2018-May-15, 04:31 PM
What is sad is that her acting career ended after her mental breakdown. THere is still to this day a social stigma about people with mental illness that is grossly unfair.

While it is certainly true that there is a stigma, it is not true that her acting career ended. She has a credit from this year. She wasn't working steadily, but that seems to have been as much her choice as anything else.

CJSF
2018-May-15, 04:38 PM
While it is certainly true that there is a stigma, it is not true that her acting career ended. She has a credit from this year. She wasn't working steadily, but that seems to have been as much her choice as anything else.

From interviews I've read, she was - happy might be too strong a word - contented with the roles that came her way, and seemed to have been glad to be working, even if in the end the products wasn't well received or was even poor quality. I think the work was more important to her than the result, if that makes sense.

CJSF

Gillianren
2018-May-15, 08:01 PM
That's what I read as well. She was living in Montana and enjoying that, which meant that any role took her away from home. She loved working and loved living in Montana and was choosing between those loves.

Jim
2018-May-16, 05:19 PM
Still, she won a Daytime Emmy in 2015.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0452288/awards

Trebuchet
2018-May-16, 06:53 PM
That's what I read as well. She was living in Montana and enjoying that, which meant that any role took her away from home. She loved working and loved living in Montana and was choosing between those loves.

I was surprised to see she was in Livingston. I grew up in the next city east and went to college in the next one west, so I've been through it many times.

Lurking Nerd
2018-May-17, 05:49 PM
I was surprised to see she was in Livingston. I grew up in the next city east and went to college in the next one west, so I've been through it many times.

I'm in the next city to the west and was also surprised to hear she was in Livingston.

Trebuchet
2018-May-18, 02:06 AM
I passed through Bozeman a couple of years ago. It looks a LOT different from when I was there in the late 1960's! For one thing, about the whole western third of it didn't exist then.