PDA

View Full Version : Fun Interactive Learning Site For Kids & Adults

Grendl
2005-Mar-12, 03:34 PM
I don't know if this has come up here before, but this is a great and FREE interactive learning site and not just for kids. I love geography, but am rustier since my long ago college class. There are different levels and they've just added an Einstein level. Some are easy, but Africa is trickier for most people at the higher levels. There are also SAT word quizzes, state capitals, math and all sorts of stuff. If you click on "Quizzes" on the main page, there's even an astronomy quiz that you astronomers here can check for accuracy (it looks way too easy for you all). Anyway, explore the higher levels and/or introduce to your kids. Someone sent the "Place the US states" around and everyone was addicted to it. Each game loads pretty quicky. "State Clues" is kind of interesting too.

Maybe, I'm nerdy, but I enjoy taking vocabulary quizzes. :o

Main page: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/index.html

See the Expert Geographer level for Africa here(you have to drop in the countries without borders): http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/African_Geography.htm

Astronomy quiz on this page (scroll down): http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/contst.htm

RealBoatsRock
2005-Mar-12, 03:58 PM
That's a neat website, thanks for the link. I took the astronomy quiz for today, and I got a 95%. Just missed the one about red giants collapsing ... oh well.

This will keep me occupied for a long time, so thanks again! :)

Weird Dave
2005-Mar-12, 04:22 PM
I didn't look at all the questions, but I was quite impressed that they deliberately wrote "satellites (man-made)" at one place, to avoid confusion. But they also wrote "Look at Jupiter and you'll probably see a Giant Red Spot." Only if you use a telescope! Also, they had two Red Spot questions in the same quiz, which was pretty stupid since the first answered the second.

Grendl
2005-Mar-12, 04:41 PM
That's a neat website, thanks for the link. I took the astronomy quiz for today, and I got a 95%. Just missed the one about red giants collapsing ... oh well.

This will keep me occupied for a long time, so thanks again! :)
Your welcome. I've conquered Eastern Europe and I know my states and words, but I didn't too hot on the astronomy quizzes. :oops: There's still too much basic info I need, though lurking around the other sections here on BABB has helped a bit; I think I've tried to put the cart before the horse, so to speak, in trying to understand some matters without enough basic knowledge. Ignorance is not bliss, but it can be cured. Good for you that you're not astronomy-challenged.

If there are errors let me know. The people who make the software should know too. We don't need any more misinformation out there in the world.

kylenano
2005-Mar-12, 06:39 PM
Fun to do, I got 100, but I had to think about some of the answers.

I don't like criticising when someone has obviously put a lot of work into something. But you asked for errors and I was a bit puzzled by the answer to 13:

It would take about 100,000 light years to travel across the diameter of this spiral shaped galaxy in which we live.
Perhaps it could be changed from '100,000 light years' to something like '100,000 years at the speed of light'?

'light year' is a confusing name for a unit of distance.

mickal555
2005-Mar-13, 06:31 AM
I love it especially the pictures :D
I clicked on monday, what are all the different days for :-? .

The Earth has both a gravitational and a magnetic field
Gravitational field?

5.) A large _____ hitting the Earth might be what caused the dinosaurs to become extinct

It gives A variety of answers including comet and asteroid
I'm going with asteroid but It could be either couldn't it?

Asteroids whose orbits cross the Earth's orbit are known as Apollo asteroids. There are about 91 Apollo asteroids.
I know their are Apollo asteroids, but I think the ones that cross are called Near Earth Objects (NEO)

It would take about 100,000 light years to travel across the diameter of this spiral shaped galaxy in which we live.
They muffed that one, and so did I, I clicked galexy beacaue I did't see milxyway.

All of the stars in a ______ , like Ursa Major, appear to be close together but some of them are really far apart in space.
They could have used another constillation because some of the stars in the Big dipper are actully close together (realitivity). and move in the same direction etc...

When a group of stars form a pattern in a specific area of the sky it is called a constellation. Astronomers have found 88 of these stars patterns Found? did't they assign them the possitions. It sounds like they have found 88 but they could find some more if they looked hard enough

The next reason the atmosphere is important is because changes in it result in wind, ocean currents, lightning, rainbows, and changes in weather. The atmosphere, which can change violently, is divided into four regions. In the order of closeness to our planet's surface, they are as follows: the troposphere, the stratosphere, the mesosphere, and the ionosphere. The higher up you go in the atmosphere, the thinner the air gets. Weather, including winds and storms, occur in the troposphere. The atmosphere produced a record wind-gust of 231 miles per hour(400 km/hr) on a mountain only 6,288 feet (1.9 km)high. The troposphere is also the region in which clouds float
Not really astronomy...

I got 95%
You have scored 95 points out of 100. Your official rank is Rocket Scientist.
Its offical 8)
I will try the other days now...

Edit: A lot of the eplanations sound like they have been copyed streight out of a text book or internet site.
The second stage is when the hydrogen is being converted to helium. This is the longest phase of a stars life cycle. When a star is in the longest phase of its life, it is called a main-sequence star. A star may stay in this stage for billions of years. It will remain in this stage as long as there is hydrogen to convert. The conversion of hydrogen to helium provides the major source of nuclear energy for this type of star.