PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Feugo In Guatemala Eruption!

BigDon
2018-Jun-04, 04:26 PM
Violent eruption this morning of Mt. Fuego in Guatemala!

25 dead 300 injured so far. Pictures of pyroclastic flows going over freeways!

Hawaii's nightmare hit somewhere else while we were looking the wrong way!

BigDon
2018-Jun-04, 04:49 PM
Picture of a pyroclastic flow hitting a small community this morning...

KaiYeves
2018-Jun-05, 02:43 AM
One of my mentors in undergrad ran an excavation in that same general part of Guatemala and the students who had gone on it would talk about watching minor activity on Fuego from another mountain across the bay.

geonuc
2018-Jun-05, 02:08 PM
Pyroclastic flows are a nasty business.

BigDon
2018-Jun-05, 05:11 PM
Pyroclastic flows are a nasty business.

Oh wow Geo, some people don't realize that every living thing in that cloud in the picture on the freeway is dead or dying. That cloud is anywhere from 400 to 600 degrees F.

BigDon
2018-Jun-05, 06:29 PM
I was questioned about pyroclastic flows by some rather horrified friends who wondered why, if it's so hot, it doesn't float.

I tried to explain the ash makes the air denser, and that the cloud was floating at first, in a column, until the ash column collapses after reaching X density.

I don't think I was very convincing.

(But being youngsters I'm sure they Googled it up on their smart phones already.)

schlaugh
2018-Jun-05, 06:50 PM
Oh wow Geo, some people don't realize that every living thing in that cloud in the picture on the freeway is dead or dying. That cloud is anywhere from 400 to 600 degrees F.

When I saw that photo I thought the same thing...and wondered about the photographer and if she or he made it out OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Swift
2018-Jun-05, 08:44 PM
I was questioned about pyroclastic flows by some rather horrified friends who wondered why, if it's so hot, it doesn't float.

I tried to explain the ash makes the air denser, and that the cloud was floating at first, in a column, until the ash column collapses after reaching X density.

I don't think I was very convincing.

(But being youngsters I'm sure they Googled it up on their smart phones already.)
I'm not sure what you or they meant by "float", but it does kind of float. My understanding is that a pyroclastic flow is sort of like a fluidized bed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkT1gvxtbY0).

geonuc
2018-Jun-06, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure what you or they meant by "float", but it does kind of float. My understanding is that a pyroclastic flow is sort of like a fluidized bed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkT1gvxtbY0).

Yes, although BD's description of how they form is correct as well.

BigDon
2018-Jun-07, 02:35 PM
100 dead, 300 injured, 200 missing, as of last night.

BigDon
2018-Jun-07, 05:57 PM
These numbers are due to rise dramatically in the near future.

Massive ash fall started about twelve hours ago. Seven towns are now under three meters of ash, with rescuers risking it all trying to get to people trapped in their homes before more ash falls.

This is getting to be an international humanitarian issue *real* fast!

publiusr
2018-Jun-23, 07:02 PM
One of these took the lives of Maurice and Katia Krafft at Unzen.

BigDon
2018-Jun-27, 04:45 PM
Sorry I stopped posting about this.

After they had to give up on all those people still buried in their homes because of continuing ash fall, I couldn't watch anymore...