PDA

View Full Version : Living Alone: Strange?

2005-Mar-13, 02:33 PM
It's strange to be living alone after all these years. Yes, I get a tad lonely from time-to-time, but work is going better than it ever has before...That, and the fact that I can now watch Babylon-5 all day... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Candy
2005-Mar-13, 02:36 PM
I've been ~living 'alone' since I was 17. :o

[edited]

2005-Mar-13, 02:43 PM
Like everything in this world, it has both good points and bad? :D :D

Candy
2005-Mar-13, 02:58 PM
Check out a passage from yesterday's email from my long time friend (from middle school). She's married to my 2nd cousin (she met him before I did), and she has 3 kids. I haven't seen her in several years.

Dating and men suck and I know that if I were ever alone again, I would not date. So I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes it's just more hassle than it's worth to get out there and meet someone. There is nothing wrong with being alone and I wish more women understood that. :o

Her response was in reference to what I wrote her.
I'm still single. I haven't dated in almost 2 years. I don't go to the bars. I don't go out. I don't have time.

I wasn't complaining to her, I was just telling her my 'relationship' status. Now, I'm really scared to get involved with a man. 8-[

tmosher
2005-Mar-13, 03:23 PM
Living alone has it's good points and it's bad points.

It does give you the freedom of not having to explain to someone where you're going and what time you'll be back.

Doodler
2005-Mar-13, 03:53 PM
Check out a passage from yesterday's email from my long time friend (from middle school). She's married to my 2nd cousin (she met him before I did), and she has 3 kids. I haven't seen her in several years.

Dating and men suck and I know that if I were ever alone again, I would not date. So I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes it's just more hassle than it's worth to get out there and meet someone. There is nothing wrong with being alone and I wish more women understood that. :o

I'm still single. I haven't dated in almost 2 years. I don't go to the bars. I don't go out. I don't have time.

I wasn't complaining to her, I was just telling her my 'relationship' status. Now, I'm really scared to get involved with a man. 8-[

We're not that bad. Then there are guys like me who respond to the question of why I'm still single with: My life's complicated enough without a built in second opinion.

I'd like to meet someone, but preferably someone who's first task upon cohabitation is NOT the immediate revision of all things me. Thus far, that's been a common thread among a LOT of women I've known. Get'em attached, then immediately change everything.

Edit: Ack, bad omission, thanks for catching it, guys.[/b]

2005-Mar-13, 07:01 PM

I see what you mean. Trepidation isn't a bad thing either. Now, I can make my own decisions - knowing that it's me that'll have to take the blame when it all goes wrong. Which I'm sure it will. :lol: :lol: :o

paulie jay
2005-Mar-13, 10:29 PM
I have no problem living alone (though at the moment I'm not), and can be quite happy with my own company for long periods at a stretch. :)

Chuck
2005-Mar-13, 10:46 PM
I've been living alone since October 13, 1977. It's like heaven. I can do what I want, when I want, and that happens to be nothing all the time. It would be hard to imagine a better lifestyle.

Gillianren
2005-Mar-13, 11:06 PM
I can't handle living alone. (it could be the mental illness, but I'm not sure.) I have no problem w/being alone, but I prefer it to be by choice. when you're living alone, you actually have to go out for company. whereas now, if I want to be alone, I can just go into another room, and if I want company, I can be in the same room w/my boyfriend.

I've also noticed that my sleep pattern gets more erratic than usual when I live alone. there have been several occasions when I've been surprised by daybreak, though it fortunately doesn't (often) happen when I actually have somewhere to go.

then again, I've a past roommate or two to whom living alone is still preferable in hindsight.

Maksutov
2005-Mar-14, 01:11 AM
[edit]I'd like to meet someone, but preferably someone who's first task upon cohabitation is the immediate revision of all things me. Thus far, that's been a common thread among a LOT of women I've known. Get'em attached, then immediately change everything.
I guess your likes are 180ー from mine. I've thrown out girlfriends because of their eventual wanting to change all things me. Take me as I am, or don't bother.

Grendl
2005-Mar-14, 02:17 AM
[edit]I'd like to meet someone, but preferably someone who's first task upon cohabitation is the immediate revision of all things me. Thus far, that's been a common thread among a LOT of women I've known. Get'em attached, then immediately change everything.
I guess your likes are 180ー from mine. I've thrown out girlfriends because of their eventual wanting to change all things me. Take me as I am, or don't bother.
I think Doodler forgot the word not--it doesn't sound like he wants a refurbished Doodler either.

I've lived mostly alone for 13 years now, but when I lived with a guy for a year a couple of years ago, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, even in a small apartment. The important thing for me is to have my own little space--say a room or study. I had to leave the apartment to be alone. Also, we needed to have two computers--that was an issue. Other than that it was OK, because he loved to cook and I love to eat and we had similar habits. It's also nice to end up in the same bed, for someone to know if you don't come home, to share a sudden idea, etc. Right now, I could die on Friday and no one would know until I didn't show up for work on Monday. I think there are more plusses in living with someone, but only if it's someone suited to your nature.

That being said, if I always had to be on someone's ideal schedule, such as eat dinner at a certain time or go here or there when I really didn't want to, I'd rather live alone. If I choose to sit on the couch and look at the ceiling and someone complains, I'd rather live alone. That would be like living with my parents--I'd be right in the middle of a good book and hear, "DINNER!" when I wasn't ready for dinner. Living alone is definitely better than living with the wrong person.

jrkeller
2005-Mar-14, 04:49 AM
I will have been divorced for 5 years in July, and seperated closer to six. We were a really good couple as long as we didn't live together.

I like being able to do what I want, when I want, especially when it comes to money. My ex was horrible at expenses. Fun stuff first - then the bills.

The one thing I miss is having somebody to sleep with. In a good way, not a sexual one.

Doodler
2005-Mar-14, 05:02 AM
I think Doodler forgot the word not--it doesn't sound like he wants a refurbished Doodler either.

Thank you for catching that. :)

Trebuchet
2005-Mar-14, 05:14 AM
My wife has been spending a lot of time in another town looking after my mother while my father has been sick.

Living alone (even with three cats) has seemed pretty strange to me. I don't eat right. I watch to much TV. I play Spider Solitaire, which is a pretty lame game, way too much. I'd rather be together.

2005-Mar-14, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the responses peeps. :D :D :D

Life's not really that bad: me and the wife are on perfectly good terms, I have no desire for another woman, my kids are all doing great... :) :)

What more could I want? :D :D

Amadeus
2005-Mar-14, 01:31 PM
Thought I would just put my experience here....

A while back I started going out with a woman that i'am in a shared house with. It didnt last and now i'am living with my ex :o

We're ok but try explaining to new girlfriends that you're living with your ex and for some reason they get upset #-o

Argos
2005-Mar-14, 01:46 PM
I've been living alone since October 13, 1977. It's like heaven. I can do what I want, when I want, and that happens to be nothing all the time. It would be hard to imagine a better lifestyle.

Me too, except for the fact that I donエt live alone. The best of both worlds... :D

farmerjumperdon
2005-Mar-14, 01:49 PM
My only comment would be regarding the statement of not having enough time to date, or go out, or have relationships. Too busy with other stuff or something.

We all have the same amount of time in a day. How we use it is a matter of choice and priority setting. That person (I believe they were quoted by Candy) has time do do those things (date, go out, etc.), but has chosen not to.

We should not pretend to be a victim of limited time. You could learn to surf, collect matchbooks, write poetry, change dirty diapers, or go out on dates. Not dating is not a function of time, it is a function of choice.

pumpkinpie
2005-Mar-14, 02:11 PM
I live now with two roommates, each of their dogs, and my cat. I've had this living situation for about 1.5 years. Before that my cat and I lived alone for about 3.5. The main reason I moved was to save money. It was getting too expensive to live where I lived alone. I cut my rent by more than half by moving. I wouldn't have been able to find a decent place in my city for a good price and still be living alone.

It's hard to say which I really prefer. There are plusses and minuses to both. It is good to have people around, and the dogs ususally too! We are all quite busy so there's not a lot of overlap when we're all home for great lengths of time. Which is good, because I don't always like talking to people! I need my quiet, alone time more than most, I think.

Another great thing about it is something that Grendl brought up--having someone around in case something happens to you. I thought about that alot when I was living alone. I am luck that my sister and her family live in the same city. I tried to keep daily contact with her, either email or phone, just so she'd know I'm around, and if she didn't hear from me she'd know to go looking!

I've never lived with a significant other. I am a light sleeper--I do not sleep well with someone else in my bed! I am just used to being the only one there--since I've been sleeping alone since I was about 8. (My sis and I shared a bed until then.) When I have friends or family visit and they sleep in my bed, I have a horrible night's sleep! So I'm not in any rush to live with someone. Even if the relationship I'm in now develops to that, I don't mind getting sleep on my own terms for as long as I can! I know people get used to it, and end up not being able to sleep alone!

Candy
2005-Mar-14, 02:20 PM
My only comment would be regarding the statement of not having enough time to date, or go out, or have relationships. Too busy with other stuff or something.

We all have the same amount of time in a day. How we use it is a matter of choice and priority setting. That person (I believe they were quoted by Candy) has time do do those things (date, go out, etc.), but has chosen not to.

We should not pretend to be a victim of limited time. You could learn to surf, collect matchbooks, write poetry, change dirty diapers, or go out on dates. Not dating is not a function of time, it is a function of choice.
Due to my work schedule, my free time is between 6am and noon. I have to do this because my classes are usually from 8am to noon. Plus, I work out during my free time. I see other people at the gym, but I'm not one for going up to a stranger. I sleep from noon to 8pm. From 8pm-9pm, I shower and make "lunch". I leave for work by 9pm. I then work from 10pm-6am.

How many people do you know that want to date between the hours of 6am to noon? I suppose I could put out an ad looking for someone with like hours, but that just seems kind of desperate. I'm not desperate, yet. :D

I'm almost done with school, so I can then readjust my free time and sleeping patterns. Perhaps, 3pm-9pm. School is more important to me than dating right now. I'd rather have something in life that I can depend on for security. A degree makes more sense to me than a man. Wow, I can't believe I just said that! I sure do miss men. 8-[

kucharek
2005-Mar-14, 02:48 PM
Pretty similar like jrkeller. Divorced since two months, separated since one year. I'm single, but not alone, as I've two kids to take care of. But life is much easier now since I can all organize myself without interferences. My ex-wife also spent plenty of money. The pay for my lawyer is just the money I save within a year on the phone bill now.
I've no intention to date or even live together with someone else in the future, but I wouldn't categorically deny the possibility. I've enough to do with work and the kids. But I recognized some time ago that I should get among people from time to time to get a little bit out of the daily loop. As I'm not easy with socializing, I contacted some old friends I lost sight of while being married and now, nearly every weekend when the kids are with their mother, I'm with some friends at least meeting for lunch.

As jr, I also miss having somebody to sleep with, in a good way, not a sexual one - though there is nothing bad with sleeping with someone in a sexual way if both want it.

Harald

2005-Mar-14, 03:16 PM

Due to my work schedule, my free time is between 6am and noon. I have to do this because my classes are usually from 8am to noon. Plus, I work out during my free time. I see other people at the gym, but I'm not one for going up to a stranger. I sleep from noon to 8pm. From 8pm-9pm, I shower and make "lunch". I leave for work by 9pm. I then work from 10pm-6am.

How many people do you know that want to date between the hours of 6am to noon? I suppose I could put out an ad looking for someone with like hours, but that just seems kind of desperate. I'm not desperate, yet. :D

I'm almost done with school, so I can then readjust my free time and sleeping patterns. Perhaps, 3pm-9pm. School is more important to me than dating right now. I'd rather have something in life that I can depend on for security. A degree makes more sense to me than a man. Wow, I can't believe I just said that! I sure do miss men. 8-[

But they're all choices Candy. Choices that you've made yourself...I don't think that anyone's trying to belittle you in any way...That said: I have a degree already. That was also a choice. In making it, I lost-out elsewhere - that, I cannot deny. IMO, anyone who makes such an important choice (and goes on to see it through) must lose-out elsewhere - no-one can be in two places at once??? Just enjoy the benefits of your choice. Don't let anyone tell you you should regret it! :) :) :) :)

Moose
2005-Mar-14, 03:22 PM

I hear you. That was one of the major reasons I'd ended my engagement last year. (There were others, just as major.)

I don't mind smoothing some of my rough edges. When you're living with someone, some degree of adaptation is necessary. But when it gets to the point that you don't even recognize yourself anymore...

jofg
2005-Mar-14, 03:48 PM
I lived alone for twelve years. Then found that "special someone", and now have been not-living-alone for almost 13 years.

Both have pluses and minuses, both have there ups and downs. Just accept the stage of live your in and go with the flow....

teddyv
2005-Mar-14, 03:58 PM
I lived alone for twelve years. Then found that "special someone", and now have been not-living-alone for almost 13 years.

Both have pluses and minuses, both have there ups and downs. Just accept the stage of live your in and go with the flow....

I share the same sentiment. Being married in the last couple years has been great, but you do realize those freedoms of singlehood don't quite apply anymore. As others have said, there are costs to every choice.

Also, for the many singles out there, there often seems to be a very strong societal pressure towards having a significant other.

Candy
2005-Mar-14, 04:00 PM
Also, for the many singles out there, there often seems to be a very strong societal pressure towards having a significant other. Ain't that the truth?

Maksutov
2005-Mar-14, 04:26 PM

I hear you. That was one of the major reasons I'd ended my engagement last year. (There were others, just as major.)

I don't mind smoothing some of my rough edges. When you're living with someone, some degree of adaptation is necessary. But when it gets to the point that you don't even recognize yourself anymore...
Yup, that's when you need to take action.

One instance was where, as a divorced father, having raised my son for twenty years, having assured his having a decent upbringing, and happy to have seen him be successful in his personal life (he has a lovely, loving wife) and professional life (he's doing what he likes to do), I heard my then current SO, who had no children, criticizing my parenting methods.

I told her I didn't give a rat's posterior about the self-help videos she'd seen or the articles she'd read. Instead, I said, try the real thing for two decades of caring, worry, diligence, and just trying to be a good parent to a son.

Soon she was my ex-SO.

tofu
2005-Mar-14, 04:28 PM
I'd like to meet someone, but preferably someone who's first task upon cohabitation is NOT the immediate revision of all things me.

I'm not at all bitter about my divorce, but it has made me realize that there is a major double standard inherent in the relationship game. As you point out, it seems that women always want to change their men. It's odd (and to me it seems illogical) that I'm good enough while we're dating, but as soon as we're married she wants me to change the way I dress, what I watch on TV, who I hang out with. It's just strange.

Another double standard I've noticed involves money. My wife actually made more money than me, but now that I'm single, I somehow miraculously have *more* disposable income than I had before. I recently bought a large LCD monitor (I've been wanting one for a long time) and on a whim, I bought a catamaran for $2000. I would never have been able to do that while married. It would have been considered frivolous and a waste. We wouldn't have been able to afford it. Yet somehow, I can afford it now.

The reason I can afford it is because of the double standard involving spending money. If a man buys something he wants, it's generally considered frivolous. When a woman buys something she wants, it's "for the home" or whatever, and somehow that makes it ok. So, my wife might spend $1000 on furniture or designer curtains and not think anything of it. Women feel entitled to do that. That's where the money was going when I was married and that's why I actually have more money now than I did then.

For right now, I do enjoy living alone, and like I said I'm not angry or bitter or anything. I've just learned how this works and it's something that I'll be sure to discuss in detail before getting into a serious relationship.

Maksutov
2005-Mar-14, 04:42 PM
I'd like to meet someone, but preferably someone who's first task upon cohabitation is NOT the immediate revision of all things me.

I'm not at all bitter about my divorce, but it has made me realize that there is a major double standard inherent in the relationship game. As you point out, it seems that women always want to change their men. It's odd (and to me it seems illogical) that I'm good enough while we're dating, but as soon as we're married she wants me to change the way I dress, what I watch on TV, who I hang out with. It's just strange.

Another double standard I've noticed involves money. My wife actually made more money than me, but now that I'm single, I somehow miraculously have *more* disposable income than I had before. I recently bought a large LCD monitor (I've been wanting one for a long time) and on a whim, I bought a catamaran for $2000. I would never have been able to do that while married. It would have been considered frivolous and a waste. We wouldn't have been able to afford it. Yet somehow, I can afford it now.

The reason I can afford it is because of the double standard involving spending money. If a man buys something he wants, it's generally considered frivolous. When a woman buys something she wants, it's "for the home" or whatever, and somehow that makes it ok. So, my wife might spend $1000 on furniture or designer curtains and not think anything of it. Women feel entitled to do that. That's where the money was going when I was married and that's why I actually have more money now than I did then.

For right now, I do enjoy living alone, and like I said I'm not angry or bitter or anything. I've just learned how this works and it's something that I'll be sure to discuss in detail before getting into a serious relationship.
That sounds very familiar. I had an unemployed leech attached to me for ten years. Money was always short.

Then I removed the leech (through an expensive process called "divorce"), and despite the incredible expense of the process (my son and I lived in poverty for about three years), the finances were then under control and eventually money was available for many things that had been earlier impossible to afford.

Funny that meanwhile the thing I had removed went through all the acquired divorce monies (5 figure lump sum cash plus all the property (paid for with my earnings)) in a few years and was soon looking for another host.

teddyv
2005-Mar-14, 04:54 PM
Ah, listening to all this brings back memories of field work, listening to all the guys with their problems at home. If you want jaded people, talk to diamond drillers.

At the end of the day, relationships are a two-way street, and in rare circumstances can all fault be laid at one person's feet. A marriage (or whatever arrangement) must require adjustments and giving up some things and a whole lot of respect. To expect things to continue as they have been during the courting/dating thing to continue (where there is always and easy escape clause) is naive.

Candy
2005-Mar-14, 05:03 PM
That sounds very familiar. I had an unemployed leech attached to me for ten years. Money was always short.

Then I removed the leech (through an expensive process called "divorce"), and despite the incredible expense of the process (my son and I lived in poverty for about three years), the finances were then under control and eventually money was available for many things that had been earlier impossible to afford.

Funny that meanwhile the thing I had removed went through all the acquired divorce monies (5 figure lump sum cash plus all the property (paid for with my earnings)) in a few years and was soon looking for another host.
Women have been taught to get married, have children, and be a homemaker. This old concept is slowly changing, but I fear some women still live in the past.

I知 sorry for your bad experiences. Usually people are attracted to a person for a reason. The fact that you seem to have a pattern of picking the wrong gals could be an entirely different problem. It sounds more like the issue is with you. Have you sought therapy?

I知 sorry; I couldn稚 help but write the above paragraph. I知 just playing with you, Maksutov. :lol:

tofu
2005-Mar-14, 06:22 PM
It sounds more like the issue is with you.

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/dysfunction.html

:wink:

Maksutov
2005-Mar-25, 04:50 PM

Women have been taught to get married, have children, and be a homemaker. This old concept is slowly changing, but I fear some women still live in the past.

I知 sorry for your bad experiences. Usually people are attracted to a person for a reason. The fact that you seem to have a pattern of picking the wrong gals could be an entirely different problem. It sounds more like the issue is with you. Have you sought therapy?

I知 sorry; I couldn稚 help but write the above paragraph. I知 just playing with you, Maksutov. :lol:
Yup.

The problem is always with the man.

The woman is always completely innocent.

Horse manure.

There was only one bad experience involving marriage. I learned my lesson. I wouldn't call that a pattern.

How many marriages do you have to compare that with? If I recall correctly, you've never been married. Plus how many children have you had, and raised from one-day-old to college and marriage, as I have? None that I recall.

Therefore the previous instance where an S.O. (but not a wife), who had never been married nor had children, decided to criticize my method of parenting, seems to apply here.

Do I sense a trait, an indelible pattern?

Is the fact that I tend to care for people a bad thing? Even if a few of those people are females with whom I later got involved? And which particular females then decided that this "caring person" who's also male must therefore be a pushover? And who, when the female demonstrated that she's just exploiting the relationship for all its worth, decided to kick the b***h out?

Sure there's a trait there. But don't look at me. Rather, look at the women who lie about anything in order to get whatever it is they're after, usually money, social standing, and the rest, not only within marriage, but in careers, etc.

The only woman I've ever known who was honest to me was my beautiful fianc馥, who died three years, nine months ago.

Don't play with me, I've had enough of that crap.

Candy
2005-Mar-25, 05:26 PM
Mak,

That's why I would hope to find a single man with no children, hopefully having never been married. The only time I care for a man with baggage is when I'm traveling.

The men my age that fall into this category might be out there, but I'm not looking real hard. I really don't care anymore. I suppose I can settle for a 22 year old. :P

I'm not used to being told what to do, so working out with Sgt Dan is really hard for me. I yelled at him today. I apologized after the session. :oops:

Even at work, I don't follow the corporate norm with protocol. For some reason, it works for me now. Hopefully, seeing a new way of a 'relationship' will help me better compromise or give in once in a while for future experiences.

I can't wait until I'm back to my old self, hot and sexy. Yes, I said hot and sexy. That's the way I feel on the inside, so why not feel that way on the outside again.

I don't need a man to take care of me, even though I was raised to believe that. I can take care of myself. I make good money. My credit is impeccable. After I graduate, I'll make great money. I own my own home (well in 30 years). I own my car. My bills are paid off, except my student loan. I travel for cheap.

The only thing I'm lacking is visible friendship. I'm starting to re-gain that back after years of neglect (on my part). My high school friend is setting up a vacation for us next year to somewhere tropical. I'm letting her plan the trip. I even offered my 100K goldpoints from the Radisson to ease the hotel cost.

There are good women out there. I'm one of them. You'll find someone that meets your expectations, just like I will - someday.

Stair Motto #2: Work on self happiness, before beginning to work on someone elses. :D

Messenger
2005-Mar-25, 05:29 PM
The single biggest stress in my marriage is my need to be alone. I love being alone. I started living alone as soon as I was legally able. When I got married, I married a man who kind of lives in his head, and perambulates around the house without trailing clouds of chaos behind him. We love being together, but I still need to be alone everyday, like I need food and water.

Russ
2005-Mar-25, 05:32 PM

[edited]

Being alone for 15 minutes isn't so bad is it? ;)

Candy
2005-Mar-25, 05:44 PM

[edited]

What exactly do you do in this 15 minutes of free time? :P

Russ
2005-Mar-25, 06:34 PM

[edited]

What exactly do you do in this 15 minutes of free time? :P

Sorry my joke was not more obvious. :oops: I've seen your picture in the photo album. You look young and beautiful. You said; "I've been ~living 'alone' since I was 17. :o" I was trying to make a joke about you turning 18 fifteen minutes ago. Awtheheckwithit. My bad. ;) :)

Candy
2005-Mar-25, 06:38 PM
Sorry my joke was not more obvious. :oops: I've seen your picture in the photo album. You look young and beautiful. You said; "I've been ~living 'alone' since I was 17. :o" I was trying to make a joke about you turning 18 fifteen minutes ago. Awtheheckwithit. My bad. ;) :)
You're so sweet. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/liebe/love-smiley-024.gif

Wally
2005-Mar-25, 06:40 PM

[edited]

but, but, but. . . What about Sgt Dan??? 8-[

fossilnut2
2005-Mar-25, 06:42 PM

We should not pretend to be a victim of limited time. . Not dating is not a function of time, it is a function of choice.

Excellent points. This applies to many things in life. Some folks claim they don't have time for physical activity...time to prepare nutritious food...etc.

That just indicates that these are not priorities. We all have choices.

As for being alone: I can't imagine not being with my wife. I could spenjd 24 hours/day with her and still feel comfortable. BUT...there is nothing worse than being in a bad relationship (most of us have been there)...you're 2 steps removed...have to get out of ithe relationshp and find someone else (if that's a goal). At least if you live alone, even if lonely, you are open to start anew.

Candy
2005-Mar-25, 06:43 PM

[edited]

but, but, but. . . What about Sgt Dan??? 8-[
He's got a girlfriend. He said he'll take me to play pool with him and his brother. I asked him if his brother was older, and he said no. His brother is 20. :lol:

mopc
2005-Mar-28, 03:54 AM
Iエve been living alone since november when my grandmother died. I like it. I adore it!