PDA

View Full Version : ...and they wonder why guys refer to cars in the feminine...

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Mar-13, 10:39 PM
...as I said over on the JREF, I do believe this explains it quite nicely... (http://sinfest.net/comics/sf20050312.gif)

Charlie in Dayton
Sexist Pig Emeritus

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-14, 01:10 AM
That is one of the most screwed-up comic strips I've ever seen... :o

(IMO, any man who thinks that way is worthy of no more respect than a particle of space dust.)

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Mar-14, 01:18 AM
That is one of the most screwed-up comic strips I've ever seen... :o

Go back and check out the archives...you ain't seen nothing yet... 8-[

Maksutov
2005-Mar-14, 05:28 AM
...as I said over on the JREF, I do believe this explains it quite nicely... (http://sinfest.net/comics/sf20050312.gif)

Charlie in Dayton
Sexist Pig Emeritus
The cartoon might be pretty accurate for a certain age bracket.

Surfing channels earlier (no more college basketball until tomorrow), I happened by a Discovery Channel show, where a young man in a convertible was saying "Having sex is like driving a car."

I was going to stick around to see what was next, but the smug, obnoxious, condescending, insinuating, mocking, and smirking tone of the female narrator was too offensive to listen to. Wound up watching a videotape (Horatio's Drive) instead.

http://img36.exs.cx/img36/1838/26rdstr19pk.gif

Reacher
2005-Mar-14, 01:31 PM
Wow... I know the son of the guy who draws that.
Well, I know the son of a guy who claims that he draws that, anyway. I have no reason to disbeleive either of them.

Overall, I don't think it's a terribly interesting comic strip, though that one is amusing.

2005-Mar-14, 02:08 PM
Doesn't it have something to do with rubbing them allover with soapy water before getting inside them or something?

That said: I don't own a car. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Maksutov
2005-Mar-14, 02:29 PM
Doesn't it have something to do with rubbing them allover with soapy water before getting inside them or something?

That said: I don't own a car. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
I own a car. I've owned many cars.

I've found that when you treat them decently and diligently, listen to them attentively, care for them, treat them as equals (as if they were human, but they're machines), and attend to all their needs, they tend to give you either some kind of positive response in return, or at least an acknowledgment of your attention.

It's different with human females.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-14, 02:37 PM
I don't often refer to a car as being feminine. Only when it needs to be "encouraged".

I'm referring to planes as feminine almost all the time. Of course they come in more situations when I feel like encouraging them. And often planes are more elegant.

The reason why I think of machines as feminine when they need to be encouraged to get you through a certain situation, I don't know. Maybe because I put my faith in the hands of women? :D

Spacewriter
2005-Mar-14, 02:40 PM
=;

iFire
2005-Mar-14, 02:42 PM
Sinfest is one of the funniest comics, even though it is a bit "naughty" at times. Its so funny. I get it to my email every day. Muhaha.

Moose
2005-Mar-14, 03:14 PM
My previous car, a Topaz, wore a car bra.

QED. :wink:

Spacewriter
2005-Mar-14, 03:20 PM
My previous car, a Topaz, wore a car bra.

QED. :wink:

Hey. My car's a cross-dresser.

It's a Mitsubishi Eclipse with a turbocharger codpiece AND a car bra! So there!

Moose
2005-Mar-14, 03:29 PM
The "Rupaul" of the automotive world, Spacewriter? :lol:

Spacewriter
2005-Mar-14, 05:29 PM
The "Rupaul" of the automotive world, Spacewriter? :lol:

Yeah. When I sell it I'm going to say that it's only been driven by a little old lady on Sundays.... to see Rocky Horror Picture Show!

:P

Jpax2003
2005-Mar-14, 10:57 PM
IMO, any man who thinks that way is worthy of no more respect than a particle of space dust.I think all men think that way. Or more to the point, men use that terminology whether it is for women or cars... or telescopes, airplaines, boats, cameras, pets, etc.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-14, 11:03 PM
IMO, any man who thinks that way is worthy of no more respect than a particle of space dust.I think all men think that way. Or more to the point, men use that terminology whether it is for women or cars... or telescopes, airplaines, boats, cameras, pets, etc.

It is not because I sometimes talk about a car or other machine in the feminine form, that I talk about women in machine terms! :)

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-14, 11:52 PM
I don't think of women in machine terms, generally... But I've never owned a car.

As for the way I think of cars, I don't really think about them much. As far as I'm concerned, a car has two states: "functional" and "nonfunctional". My parents' old Buick is functional. The Volvo we ditched last year is probably no longer functional. The Oldsmobile that got its frame pulled into a rhombus is kaput, and probably was disassembled long ago.

Musashi
2005-Mar-15, 12:06 AM
I don't think of women in machine terms, generally... But I've never owned a car.

As for the way I think of cars, I don't really think about them much. As far as I'm concerned, a car has two states: "functional" and "nonfunctional". My parents' old Buick is functional. The Volvo we ditched last year is probably no longer functional. The Oldsmobile that got its frame pulled into a rhombus is kaput, and probably was disassembled long ago.

That makes me want to cry.

dvb
2005-Mar-15, 12:37 AM
Is the word car, or automobile feminine in french? I would assume that it is, but just to make sure. What about other words like boat, airplane, or computer...?

Moose
2005-Mar-15, 01:25 AM
Is the word car, or automobile feminine in french? I would assume that it is, but just to make sure. What about other words like boat, airplane, or computer...?

Grammatically, "automobile" is coded to the feminine gender. [corrected after having looked in the dictionary like I should have.] "Voiture" is also feminine. "Char" is masculine, but is very slangy.

Keep in mind, though, that grammatical gender in french is arbitrary. It is not always the same thing as gender gender, especially for inanimate objects.

I don't think anybody's actually directly comparing machines to women when referring to them as "she". That would be silly.

But, I have noticed that men (and the women who also do this) tend to refer to their favorite toys in the opposite gender, perhaps as a wry term of endearment.

Personally, I think it would be rather silly of someone to be offended by this practice. In the "needs a real cause to worry about" sense.

Jpax2003
2005-Mar-15, 01:26 AM
car is voiture, feminine
boat is navire, masculine, as opposed to the british female boats
airplane is aeroplane, masculine, and is probably a transliteration.
computer is ordinateur, masculine

look more here (http://fr.wordreference.com/fr/translation.asp?enfr=airplane&v=b)

Moose
2005-Mar-15, 01:31 AM
Hate to do this, but you're a little off on the translations. Close, but not quite the right words to cover context.

car is voiture, feminine

Correct.

Ship is "navire" (masculine). Boat is "bateau" (masculine).

I'm pretty sure french sailors refer to it as "her", despite grammatical gender. Mug of brine, though. You'll have to ask a french sailor to be sure.

Yup, but "avion" (masculine) is more commonly used in North America. Europe, no idea.

Correct.

Jpax2003
2005-Mar-15, 01:52 AM
Hate to do this, but you're a little off on the translations. Close, but not quite the right words to cover context.

car is voiture, feminine

Correct.

Ship is "navire" (masculine). Boat is "bateau" (masculine).

I'm pretty sure french sailors refer to it as "her", despite grammatical gender. Mug of brine, though. You'll have to ask a french sailor to be sure.

Yup, but "avion" (masculine) is more commonly used in North America. Europe, no idea.

Correct.Good to know my 2 years of high school french came in handy. :D

dvb
2005-Mar-15, 04:00 AM
Wow, thanks guys. :D

Nicolas
2005-Mar-15, 09:10 AM
In Europe: we learned "avion" instead of "aeroplane". Knowing the French, they'll prefer their own "avion".

Spacewriter
2005-Mar-15, 01:45 PM
Around our place the dishwasher is referred to in the masculine, as in "It's full." "Okay, let's put some soap in and run him."

jfribrg
2005-Mar-15, 01:52 PM
My car is definitely female. I take her all kinds of places, spend enormous amounts of money on her, and do I get anything in return ?

Jpax2003
2005-Mar-15, 07:17 PM
My car is definitely female. I take her all kinds of places, spend enormous amounts of money on her, and do I get anything in return ?Oil spots on the driveway? At least you don't have to buy tires as often as footware. That is, unless your car is an Imelda-Marcus-Mobile.

jfribrg
2005-Mar-15, 07:31 PM
I am reminded of this (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/q/queen/112603.html) song.

Told my girl Iíll have to forget her
Rather buy me a new carburetor

Jpax2003
2005-Mar-16, 04:46 AM
I am reminded of this (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/q/queen/112603.html) song.

Told my girl Iíll have to forget her
Rather buy me a new carburetor
I guess turnabout is fair play, the new TV ad from buick shows a woman disrobing before she slides into the car while caressing the leather seats...

tmosher
2005-Mar-16, 05:22 AM
My car is definitely female. I take her all kinds of places, spend enormous amounts of money on her, and do I get anything in return ?

At least she doesn't strand you in the most out of the way places...wait a minute, I've had both a car and a young lady do that to me. #-o

TriangleMan
2005-Mar-16, 11:59 AM
It sounds like your car is a cat. :wink:

Jpax2003
2005-Mar-16, 05:53 PM
It sounds like your car is a cat. :wink:Jaguar?