PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Series

Orionspear
2018-Jun-22, 04:19 PM
Can you recommend some Netflix series?

Gillianren
2018-Jun-22, 05:10 PM
We have really enjoyed The Who Was Show, a kids' educational show. I also like their Marvel shows, though we're not caught up.

Solfe
2018-Jun-23, 12:22 AM
Altered Carbon was fun.

pzkpfw
2018-Jun-23, 01:11 AM
I've enjoyed:
Flaked *
Black Mirror
Sense8 (it got a bit much after a while but started out very good)
Master of None
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Stranger Things
Bojack Horseman *
Arrested Development *
Rick and Morty
Orange is the New Black

(* That's at least three with Will Arnett.)

BigDon
2018-Jun-23, 05:06 PM
I mainly spend my free time on the computer or in my garden now.

The TV I do watch is whatever is worth watching at dinnertime. That mainly boils down to just Modern Family and the Big Bang Theory.

Unless something specific comes up, like the "Metalhead" episode of Black Mirror.

Gillianren
2018-Jun-23, 05:42 PM
Oh, I will say that Marie Antoinette is hard done by on The Who Was Show, but other than that, it's a kids' educational show that I'm definitely a fan of. I know I already mentioned it, but I just watched it again yesterday, and that episode makes me cringe.

It's not a Netflix show; it's a BBC show that's played in the US on PBS that is then aired on Netflix. But I'm definitely a fan of The Great British Bake-Off.

Solfe
2018-Jun-24, 03:54 AM
I really enjoy Luke Cage, but the language is pretty rough sometimes. Excellent series, but I have to watch after the kiddos are in bed.

Now Stranger Things was awesome. That one wasn't too rough for kids and it is one of the few shows the whole family enjoyed.

Gillianren
2018-Jun-24, 05:15 PM
I really enjoy Luke Cage, but the language is pretty rough sometimes. Excellent series, but I have to watch after the kiddos are in bed.

The language isn't why we aren't caught up with the Marvel shows! I don't mind if my kids are exposed to bad language; that'll happen whether I want them to be or not. But those shows are awfully violent and awfully dark. Simon and I watched Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 the other day, and he reassured me (after the first time I asked) that he didn't think it was scary, but that doesn't mean I think he's ready for Jessica Jones.

Launch window
2018-Jul-01, 10:21 AM
I don't watch much tv or Netflix I'm kinda too busy these days but think the era of internet tv has truly come, Hulu, Amazon and others will be makers of quality tv provide service to rival the biggest tv across the world networks, they will soon make shows to rival Fox, BBC, ABC etc. Before the days of Netflix I used to sometimes check these streamer sites for DrWho epsiodes but I think a lot of those sites were kind of 'Napster' style pirate hacker sites? and have since been shutdown. Altered Carbon, Stranger Things, on Netflix I have seen and enjoyed kinda fantasy/scifi the first Altered Carbon one is a kind of scifi opera murder mystery Blader Runner-ish about people who can download into new bodies set far into the future, the other Stranger Things is a kind of 80s nostalgia scifi horror show. The Stranger Things show playing obvious homage to old classics Stand By Me, Dungeons and Dragons game culture, movies like E.T, Hellraiser, Evil Dead, Poltergeist series, John Carpenters Fantasy Horror flicks, "Close Encounters" and the Alien(s) series etc.... these two I think people would maybe enjoy. Although I have not seen much tv and am lucky to get through one season of any series, I would watch more if I had the time. I did see a comicbook show Daredevil, its like a dark batman style thriller and the good thing is you don't need to know or understand the wider comicbook Marvel universe to understand whats happening, Daredevil works by itself and its a good stand alone show. A tv show documentary '5 Came Back?' was recommened to me by someone who is into their film/tv I think its about a bunch of film makers who documented the Great Wars? World War II maybe? but I have not seen this personally, will probably binge watch and catch up on my shows soon. I hear the library of stuff is quiet big on Netflix and you can stream or download Doctor Who on Netflix now. They say a lot of retro stuff is on a service called Sling TV and Crackle tv? A good Streaming Video Service is also offered by HBO and I'm pretty sure the whole gamer thing from Playstation/Xbox/ gaming Livestreamers have got in on the whole tv business but I have been out of the gamer loop for a while now, maybe someone else can tell what the best service and whats available online.

Solfe
2018-Jul-01, 11:27 AM
The language isn't why we aren't caught up with the Marvel shows! I don't mind if my kids are exposed to bad language; that'll happen whether I want them to be or not. But those shows are awfully violent and awfully dark. Simon and I watched Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 the other day, and he reassured me (after the first time I asked) that he didn't think it was scary, but that doesn't mean I think he's ready for Jessica Jones.

Oh, Jessica Jones is a very different animal than Luke Cage. For Luke Cage, there are whole scenes where I can think "Gee, this is ok for teenagers" and then it swerves into something clearly not ok.

Jessica Jones is so messed up that everything is clearly not ok then swerves into something that is totally fine for 11 seconds, sometimes for comedy's sake. The whole bit with the coffee was hysterical:

"This isn't coffee, it's bourbon!"
"Oh, that's mine."

And then you realize that the story writer isn't going for comedy, that there are serious consequences for Jessica's behavior.

When I was 12, I saw Terminator. I learned a lot from that. My best friend had extracted a promise from his dad that we would go see any movie my friend picked. The dad had just gotten out of prison and had no idea what he was in for with that movie choice. He was extremely apologetic through out, but his son was acting like a spoiled brat and wouldn't leave. It was pretty obvious that the dad was really torn up by making that promise and his son's behavior.

My parents (or my friend's mom) would have kicked our butts all the way home. After that, his dad was a lot more careful with his promises. Nice guy. I have no idea why he was in prison.

Gillianren
2018-Jul-01, 05:59 PM
Oh, Jessica Jones is a very different animal than Luke Cage. For Luke Cage, there are whole scenes where I can think "Gee, this is ok for teenagers" and then it swerves into something clearly not ok.

Well, sure, but Simon's not exactly a teenager!

BigDon
2018-Jul-04, 12:07 AM
Well, sure, but Simon's not exactly a teenager!

Once I got yelled at by the ex for watching "Alien" with my eldest child late one night. I just looked at her.

"She's two..."

Gillianren
2018-Jul-04, 04:08 PM
Two is old enough to possibly know what's going on. When Simon was eight or nine months old, he saw Raging Bull because that's definitely too young. Even if he hadn't slept through most of it.

Solfe
2018-Jul-05, 02:44 AM
I recall seeing a double feature of Darby O'Gill and the Little People with The Sword in the Stone. I was about two. My memories of the first film were a bit vague, but I recall some sort of terrifying green fire and dancing. The second film I recall in it's entirety.

And back to Netflix. I am speed watching Daredevil and I am thinking of watching Tau. This evening the dog is spooked by all the fireworks, so we are all watching The Secret Life of Pets with her. I don't think she (the dog) cares for it.

Oddly, she does "watch" some TV. Golden Girls is a favorite. I think it is a laughing and women's voices that she enjoys. She doesn't actually look at the TV, except maybe a glance as if to make sure the sound comes out of that. When she was a puppy, she did watch TV.