PDA

View Full Version : Meteor on March 12, Pacific NW

vorblesnak
2005-Mar-14, 05:59 PM
Did anyone see this fire ball? I was out, but looking south with a light block between me and neighbors new floodlight to the north. Ain't no stinking darkness gonna sneak up on him, by god!!

Anyway, what reports can you give me?

David Davis
Toledo, OR 97391

kucharek
2005-Mar-14, 06:07 PM
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=meteor&btnG=Search+News

Wolverine
2005-Mar-14, 06:13 PM
Saw this on space.com (http://www.space.com/spacewatch/meteor_pnw_050314.html) when I logged on.

Evan
2005-Mar-14, 06:57 PM
What sucks is that I am just a bit too far north to have seen it. What sucks even more is that I was out with my camera set up pointing south and taking pictures at the exact same time.

Kaptain K
2005-Mar-14, 07:23 PM
So, we have a northern limit as to the path of visibility.
Question is, did it burn up or fall between the last sighting and you?
My guess is that it burned up, since at least one report I saw had it exploding near the horizon.

Evan
2005-Mar-15, 12:02 AM
I thought I heard on the news this morning that they think it ended up in the ocean off Washinton or BC. I did see an iridum flare Saturday though.

garyncurtis
2005-Mar-15, 05:58 AM
We were driving towards Anacortes WA along highway 20 after my birthday celebration and had a really good look. It was a brilliant green with a red leading edge and red on the tip of the tail. Appeared to be descending from east to west. It seemed to snuff out with a red puff before reaching the potentially obscuring hills. I didn't think that one glass of wine could do that. Shortly after we heard on the radio that it had been seen and heard from Salem OR to the California border.

Archer17
2005-Mar-15, 06:01 AM
Welcome to the BABB garyncurtis. I heard about this on CNN. Must've been something to see.

beskeptical
2005-Mar-15, 06:37 AM
We were driving towards Anacortes WA along highway 20 after my birthday celebration and had a really good look. It was a brilliant green with a red leading edge and red on the tip of the tail. Appeared to be descending from east to west. It seemed to snuff out with a red puff before reaching the potentially obscuring hills. I didn't think that one glass of wine could do that. Shortly after we heard on the radio that it had been seen and heard from Salem OR to the California border.Oooh! That must have been cool. And it got you excited enough to post here too. =D> Welcome to the forum.

News said it didn't reach Earth and would have been over the ocean anyway. Oh well. Fireballs are fun no matter what.

I didn't see it. But then, what were the odds?

Oh ya, Happy Birthday!!

kucharek
2005-Mar-15, 07:06 AM
"brilliant green"? Maybe the whole thing was a Hollywood promo for the upcoming "War of the Worlds" movie?

beskeptical
2005-Mar-15, 11:11 PM
"brilliant green"? Maybe the whole thing was a Hollywood promo for the upcoming "War of the Worlds" movie?I think your joke is plausible. =D>

But on another note, when we watched the year of the fireball Leonids meteor storm there were many such colors in the meteors. Green was pretty common at the explosive end and the trails that persisted for 10-20 minutes had definite greenish gray coloring.

Evan
2005-Mar-15, 11:15 PM
10-20 minutes????

vorblesnak
2005-Mar-16, 01:32 AM
The one person I knew who was to be at a star party, with scope, was having baked potatoes about then. He didn't get out to the field till about 9. If I wasn't so lazy I would have gone. Maybe I could have seen it and tripped over a scope and dropped my camera .. again.

David Davis
Toledo, OR 97391

beskeptical
2005-Mar-16, 10:20 AM
10-20 minutes????Oh yes. But I'm talking about the vapor trail. Perhaps you thought I meant the fireball trail?

frogesque
2005-Mar-16, 10:53 AM
10-20 minutes????

Absolutely! not many lasted that long but the trails faded from a 'milk in water' colour to a dark red and I could clearly see them getting mixed up in the upper atmosphere like contrails. It was the most spectacular meteor show I've ever seen.

I should add that I've got 'funny' eyes. I seem to be able to discern colours in dim light much better than most.

Evan
2005-Mar-16, 02:27 PM
Were these trails observed during daylight? I watched and photographed that storm nearly all night but never saw any contrails.

tofu
2005-Mar-16, 02:35 PM
Shortly after we heard on the radio that it had been seen and heard from Salem OR to the California border.

Kind of interesting isn't it, that when something real appears in the sky a million people see it, but when an "alien spaceship" flies over a city, only a few dozen people see it.

frogesque
2005-Mar-16, 07:11 PM
Were these trails observed during daylight? I watched and photographed that storm nearly all night but never saw any contrails.

No, it was nightime, I must have been out for about 6 hours. The best way I can describe the red colour is that translucent dark red you get with a proton aurora, but starting out as thin straight milky lines on the meteor tracks then turning red and gradually getting broader as they were warped and disipated by the upper winds.

Clearly something was getting ionised, I don't know the Kp for that night but maybe conditions were borderline and the meteors were just enough to trigger a column of gas. I should also add that the UK was in darkness for the peak of that storm and we got the real firework show.

Evan
2005-Mar-16, 07:36 PM
Strange. The show was spectacular here as well. At around 03:00 to 03:20 they were coming in at about two to three per second. More than one was bright enough to be a shadowcaster. I still never noticed any long lived trails and none showed up in my time exposures.

publiusr
2005-Mar-16, 07:58 PM
If only it had come down in the Beltway to scare the congress-critters into more NASA funding.

Here's to hoping!

um3k
2005-Mar-16, 10:51 PM
Kind of interesting isn't it, that when something real appears in the sky a million people see it, but when an "alien spaceship" flies over a city, only a few dozen people see it.
Maybe more people see it, but they actually manage to figure out what it is (and isn't).

beskeptical
2005-Mar-19, 10:12 AM
Were these trails observed during daylight? I watched and photographed that storm nearly all night but never saw any contrails.We watched the Leonids storm several years in a row. The fireball year was 1998. Which year did you see it?

That is a good question about daytime fireballs and vapor trails. I believe they do occur but very rarely. In the case of the Leonids, the fireballs lasted many hours but not 24 hours so it was only in the Western night sky. Perhaps those in Europe saw some day time fireballs.