PDA

View Full Version : E-mail address for the ISS

Sticks
2005-Mar-15, 06:42 PM
Does the ISS have an e-mail address ?

Do the occupants have a digital camera so they can e-mail pictures back home? :-?

If they do, have incoming e-mail, which anti-virus software do they use?

zebo-the-fat
2005-Mar-15, 09:58 PM
Do they use wirless networking?? :D

Jpax2003
2005-Mar-15, 10:08 PM
Does the ISS have an e-mail address ?

Do the occupants have a digital camera so they can e-mail pictures back home? :-?

If they do, have incoming e-mail, which anti-virus software do they use?The ISS may not, but I suspect the astro-cosmo-nauts may. A more interesting question: Does the ISS have its own domain? Astronaut@Freedom.iss ?

Nicolas
2005-Mar-15, 10:11 PM
The occupants have an emailaddress, but the problem is that, with the earth orbit of the station, it continuously switches between

Naut_o_box @ ISS.ru
Naut_o_box @ ISS.ch
Naut_o_box @ ISS.sp
Naut_o_box @ ISS.rw
Naut_o_box @ ISS.jp

etcetc according to which country it is flying over.

Doodler
2005-Mar-15, 10:37 PM
The occupants have an emailaddress, but the problem is that, with the earth orbit of the station, it continuously switches between

Naut_o_box @ ISS.ru
Naut_o_box @ ISS.ch
Naut_o_box @ ISS.sp
Naut_o_box @ ISS.rw
Naut_o_box @ ISS.jp

Gah! How barbaric! Why not just have a single remote server they can log into from orbit regardless of whatever country they're over?

Nicolas
2005-Mar-15, 10:40 PM
Because that would be logical (and according to the working principles of the internet) but not suited for a post that was meant as a joke :)

zebo-the-fat
2005-Mar-15, 10:48 PM
How about a VERY long cable? :D

Doodler
2005-Mar-15, 10:50 PM
Because that would be logical (and according to the working principles of the internet) but not suited for a post that was meant as a joke :)

DOH! =D>

Nicolas
2005-Mar-15, 10:54 PM
Serious post:

They have some sort of standard internet connection though: the astronauts can videotalk with a laptop, and they type messages to family as well, i thought in the form of mails. As the laptop is not connected to other computer systems of the ISS, virus scannig isn't of extreme importance.

Nice quote from ISS astronaut Frank De Winne:

"Typing on the laptop was a strange experience, as the minimal force I put on the keys when typing a letter caused me to slowly "lift off" while typing texts. I quickly learned to put my feet underneath something to stay in place"

Sticks
2005-Mar-15, 11:09 PM
So they don't use a Hotmail account or pop up on MSN then :P

This reminds me of when they first tried to take a picture of the Earth from space.

The shot was ruined

Somebody moved #-o :D

tmosher
2005-Mar-16, 05:16 AM
No email address but they do have a ham station on board.

Kenwood D700 on ISS (http://www.marexmg.org/hardware/kenwood.html)

Sticks
2005-Apr-07, 12:21 PM
I wonder if they get this type of spam (http://www.londonleben.co.uk/london_leben/images/spam-thumb.jpg) :lol:

Swift
2005-Apr-07, 12:26 PM

Naut_o_box @ ISS.ru
Naut_o_box @ ISS.ch
Naut_o_box @ ISS.sp
Naut_o_box @ ISS.rw
Naut_o_box @ ISS.jp

:lol:
Actually, it should be Naut_o_box @ ISS.LEO

Sigma_Orionis
2005-Apr-07, 03:27 PM
An internet conection must be de rigeur since their work would require access to this site (http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/) :lol:

Lurker
2005-Apr-07, 04:49 PM
So they don't use a Hotmail account or pop up on MSN then :P

This reminds me of when they first tried to take a picture of the Earth from space.

The shot was ruined

Somebody moved #-o :D

Damn... I really hate when you guys make me laugh first thing in the morning!! [-(

:wink:

Nicolas
2005-Apr-07, 04:53 PM
that makes 2 jokes in this thread which were posted some time ago and rediscovered today :).