PDA

View Full Version : Death of Jacqueline Pearce ( Servalan in Blake's 7)

ozduck
2018-Sep-05, 04:01 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45406498

For many of us watching Science Fiction on TV in the late 1970's Blakes 7 was required viewing and Servealan was our favourite character. To quote the BBC "Jacqueline Pearce's character was the best-dressed villain in the Universe" and "Pearce gained cult status for playing the ruthless but stylish leader of the evil Federation from 1978-81" She was also very sensual in her performance. This was no namby-pamby Star Trek Federation but a ruthlessly nasty one and you could easily believe that she was the ruler.

BLake's 7 itself was created by Terry Nation of Dalek fame and was gloriously shoddy but I found it enjoyable. To quote a reviewer. "No 'boldly going' here: instead, we got the boot stamping on a human face which George Orwell offered as a vision of humanity's future in Nineteen Eighty-Four." Hanks concluded that "Blake's 7 has acquired a credibility and popularity Terry Nation can never have expected ... I think it's to do with the sheer crappiness of the series and the crappiness it attributes to the universe: it is science-fiction for the disillusioned and ironic – and that is what makes it so very British."

It also had the courage to go out with probably the most downbeat ending of any show about people fighting for liberty, freedom and justice.

WaxRubiks
2018-Sep-05, 05:59 AM
I'd like to hear what Avon(Paul Darrow) has to say.
I loved his relationship with Servalan, they were sort of partners or potential partners...the sort of girlfirend who could have you killed...reminds me of Elizabeth the first when she had her sister executed....she didn't enjoy the process, but she did it to survive.
I loved Blake's 7...Blake reminded me of someone my parents knew in their involvement in environmental stuff. Someone who was prepared to die for their beliefs not just for medals.

Avon was really my favourite...his best line, that I remember was that he didn't understand why anyone should have to show they cared.....such wisdom in this world where people feel they have to show this or that, or it's up against the wall with a bullet through the head.I loved the Liberator's main computer(what was he called?) and Orak, who was a *****y computer that would die to fight for the revolution.

what's his name the professional thief, who would but Bill Gates to shame for the risks he took.

oh well oh well...I'll just say that Servalan reminded me of my Scottish English teacher at school...not my favourite...but all part of the story.

WaxRubiks
2018-Sep-05, 06:03 AM
Zen! that was the Liberator's main computer......lovely presence....

There was something really toxic about the Servalan character...like a deadly nightshade....

ozduck
2018-Sep-05, 07:45 AM
Zen! that was the Liberator's main computer......lovely presence....

There was something really toxic about the Servalan character...like a deadly nightshade....

The Servalan character was deadly but absolutely fascinating.

I certainly preferred Avon to Blake. To my mind the actor playing Blake, maybe it was by choice, was a bit like Katherine Hepburn as described by Dorothy Parker - “Miss Hepburn ran the whole gamut of emotions—from A to B.” To describe his acting as stolid is an understatement.

WaxRubiks
2018-Sep-05, 07:50 AM
The Servalan character was deadly but absolutely fascinating.

I certainly preferred Avon to Blake. To my mind the actor playing Blake, maybe it was by choice, was a bit like Katherine Hepburn as described by Dorothy Parker - “Miss Hepburn ran the whole gamut of emotions—from A to B.” To describe his acting as stolid is an understatement.

yes, but Blake was like a real revolutionary; like the person my parents knew. You knew where you stood with him, in a complex war...you knew he would watch your back. Play straight. Maybe his beliefs were naive, but they were earnest.

Jim
2018-Sep-05, 05:07 PM
...reminds me of Elizabeth the first when she had her sister executed....

Cousin.

I watched Blake's 7 when possible. I think it was carried on the local PBS station when they felt like it. I enjoyed Pearce's character ... she wasn't evil, just played that way.

The Backroad Astronomer
2018-Sep-05, 06:52 PM
The use to show Blakes 7 on YTV years ago, caught a few episodes, all the iconic sci-fi stars are going the undiscovered country.

ozduck
2018-Sep-06, 02:33 AM
Cousin.

I watched Blake's 7 when possible. I think it was carried on the local PBS station when they felt like it. I enjoyed Pearce's character ... she wasn't evil, just played that way.

I think one of the reasons I liked her portrayal, apart from her looks and the gloriously over the top fashions she wore, was her strength of character. I know that if James T Kirk turned up in her universe and tried any of his "moves" - once she had finished laughing at him he would have been quickly put into his place. She got where she was by being the smartest, and most cunning person around and she always intended going out on top.

BigDon
2018-Sep-06, 03:04 PM
Oh damn.

R.I.P. Miss Pearce.