PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a sci fi story

Vilim
2005-Mar-18, 03:02 AM
I am looking for a story, or rather a short sci fi story. I can't remember the author or the title however I am certain I own the book it is in (I have alot of books).

In any case, I seem to recall that humanity somewhat diverges, a bunch go to the stars, and the others stay on earth. For the ones on earth technology somewhat reverts and one day a guy decides to go see an abandoned city. After some exploration he finds a mural depicting the trojan war. A visitor before him wrote on the wall Marlowe's famous line "Was this the face that launched a thousand ships and burned the topless towers of Illium". The guy is fascinated by the word "Illium" calling it (IIRC) a magical sounding word.

In the end the technological society comes back to earth because some experiment seems to have gone wrong and the earth is in danger.

I also remember that there was some sort of music necklace involved and in the introduction the author remarked that although he was right about portable music becoming popular, his other prediction that it would drive everyone insane has not yet been fulfilled.

Does anyone know what story this is?

teddyv
2005-Mar-18, 03:59 AM
At first it sounded like Against the Fall of Night by Asimov, but the rest doesn't fit :-?

Nowhere Man
2005-Mar-18, 04:08 AM
Vilim, the story you want is "The Road to the Sea" by Arthur C. Clarke. Oddly enough, although your description triggered quite a few synapses before I found it, I've only read it once, as I found it tedious.

Teddyv, guess who wrote "Against the Fall of Night"? That's right: Arthur C. Clarke.

Fred

teddyv
2005-Mar-18, 05:17 AM
Vilim, the story you want is "The Road to the Sea" by Arthur C. Clarke. Oddly enough, although your description triggered quite a few synapses before I found it, I've only read it once, as I found it tedious.

Teddyv, guess who wrote "Against the Fall of Night"? That's right: Arthur C. Clarke.

Fred

D'oh! :oops: Don't know why I thought that, I actually have it, but haven't read it for some time.

Doe, John
2005-Mar-18, 05:44 AM

Fred

D'oh! :oops: Don't know why I thought that, I actually have it, but haven't read it for some time.
Asimov wrote "Nightfall", maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Inferno
2005-Mar-18, 05:48 AM
I knew it sounded like a Clarke novel! Haven't read it myself, but that description just "felt" Clarky.