PDA

View Full Version : Metabolism and Heart Rate

ozsmurf
2005-Mar-18, 10:01 AM
I'm sure someone can answer this one for me. What is the difference between heart rate and metabolism?

As far as I know animals that have a high metabolism have a high heart rate (like humming birds) and vice versa (like a sloth).

Now I know if I increase my amount of muscle I increase my metabolism, but as I get fitter my resting heart rate decreases.

I know there is something really obvious I'm missing, help.

Thanks!!

farmerjumperdon
2005-Mar-18, 02:04 PM
Comparing humans to other animals aside; I don't think heart rate and metabolism are necessarily a direct relationship. I have a relatively high metabolism but a very low resting heart rate (usually in the mid to upper 40's despite a history of smoking). There are also so many factors that go into heart rate - weight, health of arteries, level of exercise, genetics, smoking status, etc.

Also, though metabolisms do vary, the range that most people fall into is relatively narrow. I don't recall the exact terms as given to me by a friend who is an exercise physiologist, but metabolism alone does not account for anywhere near the diversity in people's weights, blood pressure, heart rate, etc.; though these things are all interconnected.

My friend, who has been an Olympic trainer and consults for serious athletes and ordinary people alike, says the diet industry is basically a fraud; as is evidenced by their lack of success (in helping people change, but not in their ability to make money). His expert advice is to skip all the magic bullets; eat healthy and exercise enough to burn what you eat - period.

§rv
2005-Mar-18, 09:30 PM
Metabolism is how fast you burn off the food you eat, that is, how fast your cells break down the food. Muscle cells break down food faster than other cells which is why men have a higher metabolism rate than women because women have more fat :evil: .
Heart rate is related to metabolism because food and oxygen are transported in your blood and the faster your cells use up the food and oxygen, the faster the heart has to pump blood to get oxygen and transport the food to all the cells. This can be seen when you run a race. Your heart and breathing rate increase because the muscle cells in your legs are breaking down food at a faster rate to provide energy for you to run

beskeptical
2005-Mar-19, 09:21 AM
Metabolism is how fast you burn off the food you eat, that is, how fast your cells break down the food. Muscle cells break down food faster than other cells which is why men have a higher metabolism rate than women because women have more fat :evil: .
Heart rate is related to metabolism because food and oxygen are transported in your blood and the faster your cells use up the food and oxygen, the faster the heart has to pump blood to get oxygen and transport the food to all the cells. This can be seen when you run a race. Your heart and breathing rate increase because the muscle cells in your legs are breaking down food at a faster rate to provide energy for you to runI would look at this a little differently though the result is the same. Metabolism is usually measured by the rate of O2 changing to CO2. It requires calories from food to accomplish the conversion. The result of the calories 'burned' and the O2 conversion to CO2 is energy that the cell uses to accomplish the work it does.

So essentially, metabolism is the rate of activity of your cells carrying out their functions. Exercise increases metabolism above resting level. Resting metabolism can vary from person to person and with the intake of restricted amounts of calories metabolism slows down.

As discussed above, heart rate merely reflects the efficiency of one's heart. For individuals, heart rate increases if you exercise and acts to provide more O2 to the cells. But from individual to individual, heart rate does not equal metabolic rate. In addition, just because you speed up your heart rate, say with drugs, does not require the use of the O2 that is being pumped to the cells. Instead one can just exhale higher amounts of O2.

Tomncp
2007-Dec-31, 07:49 AM
"Over-consumption of saturated fat leads to heart diseases. LDL cholesterol is the common disease which is going to be suffered by those who intake lot of saturated fat. Even they face stoke."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Metabolism (http://www.metabolic-process.com/)

Maksutov
2007-Dec-31, 08:01 AM
"Over-consumption of saturated fat leads to heart diseases. LDL cholesterol is the common disease which is going to be suffered by those who intake lot of saturated fat. Even they face stoke."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Metabolism (http://www.metabolic-process.com/)Welcome to the BAUT, Tomncp!

You'll find that one point of etiquette here is not to resurrect really old threads (in this case, one almost three years old). This is especially true if the old thread has many replies. Plus you might find yourself addressing posters who aren't around anymore.

Rather, starting a new thread on the particular topic would be the way to go. If necessary, a link to the old thread might be useful.

Meanwhile, read the FAQs (http://www.bautforum.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq), especially the rules (http://www.bautforum.com/about-baut/32864-rules-posting-board.html#post564845), and have fun.

toejam
2007-Dec-31, 08:20 PM
You're talking about two things here:

1,The BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate, which is measured at rest

2, The way that BMR varies with exercise, excitement, fear, fever, etc etc

One of the main factors that decides the BMR is the activity of your thyroid, it changes it more markedly than does muscle mass for instance.
Hyperactive thyroid -- the BMR increases.
Hypoactive thyroid -- BMR decreases.

Years ago they used the BMR measurement to assess borderline thyroid abnormalities. But it was time-consuming, inaccurate, unreliable & expensive. New, reliable tests superseded it.

mike alexander
2008-Jan-01, 04:47 AM
It's also one of my favorite misspelled words. Somewhere in my dissertation is a mention of drug meatbolism.