PDA

View Full Version : First light

Glom
2005-Mar-18, 02:07 PM
We finally got the chance to make use of our new 10'' SkyWatcher f/4.4 Newtonian. It has a motorised EQ-6 mount, which weighs about 30kg.

There was scattered clouds and the atmosphere was really turbulent, but we saw the moon, Jupiter and Saturn.

They all looked great. We saw the Cassini division in Saturn's rings. We saw the bands of weather on Jupiter really clearly.

The thing that was really cool was motorised mount. When you true to operate the controls, it looks like it isn't moving until you actually look through the eyepiece to see the view changes with total smoothness.

Next time, we need to learn to do the alignments properly, but we need better weather for it to be worthwhile.

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Mar-18, 03:14 PM
good job, & you should get a lot more with clear skies

Russ
2005-Mar-18, 04:57 PM

Glom is in England. There is no such thing as "clear skys". They have 5 days a year when it's not totally overcast and 6 when it's not raining. :roll: :lol:

Mainframes
2005-Mar-18, 05:02 PM

Glom is in England. There is no such thing as "clear skys". They have 5 days a year when it's not totally overcast and 6 when it's not raining. :roll: :lol:

THAT IS NOT TRUE! I am appalled and upset at your cynical description of my country!

We have 4 days when it's not totally overcast....! :wink:

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-18, 05:10 PM
Sounds like Ottawa in February. Ugh.

Russ
2005-Mar-18, 05:54 PM

THAT IS NOT TRUE! I am appalled and upset at your cynical description of my country!

We have 4 days when it's not totally overcast....! :wink:

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me! :lol: I'll be sure to get it correct next time. :lol: 8)