PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite book?

The Backroad Astronomer
2018-Oct-21, 03:31 AM
Watching an episode of a PBS series called the Great American Read (https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/home/) and I don't really have a favorite over all them there a probably favorites in different categories.

Best Sci-fi series would be Foundation by Asimov.
Best Sci-fi comedy would be Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.
Best stand alone Sci-fi book would I, Jedi.
Best non fiction would be Demon Haunted World: Science As A Candle In The Dark.

What your favorites?

DaveC426913
2018-Oct-21, 03:41 AM
Non-fic: Douglas Hofstadter's Metamagical Themas.
Fic: Larry Niven's Protector

Noclevername
2018-Oct-21, 04:11 AM
Can't pick one. I can't even narrow it down to a few. I have widely eclectic tastes in fiction, I don't read much nonfiction.

Solfe
2018-Oct-21, 04:40 AM
For poetry, I'd pick The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.
Fiction: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Fantasy: I listed 3, then six then thought of six more. I can't pick. Maybe, The Last Unicorn. But only for today.
Non-Fiction: Cosmos.
Pop Science: Chaos by James Gleick (I know, I know. You'd think I'd pick Brain Green's Elegant Universe.)
Hard(ish) Science: Six Easy Pieces/Six Not So Easy Pieces
Poly-Sci: How to Make War
History: Same problem as Fantasy. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire was the last thing I reread and if I am rereading that one it must be a favorite.

Edit - What no Sci-Fi? Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy for sure.

swampyankee
2018-Oct-21, 03:50 PM
Literary fiction: Moby Dick
SF/F: Hyperion
Non-fiction (technical): Art of Computer Programming
Non-fiction (non-technical) Battle Cry of Freedom

Gillianren
2018-Oct-21, 04:09 PM
Yeah, no way I could choose one.

DaveC426913
2018-Oct-22, 12:33 AM
And of course, there could be a complementary list of stuff you hate (that will get you burned at the stake).

I tried to read Asimov's Foundation. After ten chapters, I concluded the whole book was going to be one long preamble to a story that never got started. Couldn't finish it.

Tried to read Herbert's Dune abut six times. Feel asleep by Chapter 3 every time.

: runs away :

CJSF
2018-Oct-22, 12:01 PM
it is tough to choose, but "historically" I've told people who insist I pick one, it'd be Candide, by Voltaire. I'm partial to the Penguin Classics translation by John Butt (yes) from 1950. Other translations that I've read over the years don't seem to have the same kind of humor.

CJSF

Swift
2018-Oct-22, 01:04 PM
Yeah, no way I could choose one.
Ditto

I've thought, along the lines of Fahrenheit 451 (spoiler alert), that if I was to become a book, it would probably be Alice in Wonderland.

publiusr
2018-Oct-22, 06:19 PM
I'd be the instruction manual to an old land-line phone.
Misplaced and no one looking for it anyway ;)

WaxRubiks
2018-Oct-22, 08:50 PM
I loved Catch 22..

re-read HHGTG a few times.

For some reason I really liked Darkness at Noon, by Arthur Koestler.

difficult to really say.....I wish I read more. Recently bought The Wasp Factory to read again....