Spacewriter
2005-Mar-18, 07:00 PM
Has died at the age of 93.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/03/17/Arts/nortonobit050317.html

SciFi Chick
2005-Mar-18, 07:01 PM
Has died at the age of 93.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/03/17/Arts/nortonobit050317.html

I saw that yesterday. What an amazing woman she was.

Grizzly
2005-Mar-18, 07:43 PM
I never could get into the Witch World series, simply because I gave up tring to find out what the heck the first book was.

But I do have some favourites of hers, both early "pulp" fiction like "Star Born" and later stuff. One of my all-time faves is one that I regularly return to, "Dark Piper". Don't ask why, it's just a simple story. But I think that's why I like her - she was a story teller, not someone out to dazzle with technology or with a political axe to grind (did I hear someone mention Jerry P or Elron?)

And she conveyed a sense of place better than many sci-fi writers. I guess the same can be said for Jack Vance, whom I also like, but Andre was special.

RIP Andre, and thanks for showing me new places within and without, and new ways of seeing.

----
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via
There is no easy way from the earth to the stars.

Klausnh
2005-Mar-18, 07:44 PM
Hers were the first "science fiction" books I ever read.

Musashi
2005-Mar-18, 07:54 PM
:(

Hutch
2005-Mar-18, 07:54 PM
Some of the first Science Fiction I read in Junior High was her's. Then I found Ben Bova and Robert Heinlein....

Still, a sad day. Asimov, Heinlein, John C. Campbell, Poul Anderson, andre Norton--the "golden Age" writers are leaving the stage, one by one.... :(

ToSeek
2005-Mar-18, 08:12 PM
Hers were the first "science fiction" books I ever read.

You and just about anyone else who started reading sf in junior high.

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-18, 10:48 PM
I read No Night Without Stars and loved it... Not even her best, I'm sure. An amazing writer, and an amazing person all around. We'll miss her... :cry:

Doe, John
2005-Mar-19, 01:03 AM
This is very sad news. The first sf book I ever read was "Android at Arms". Like somebody said earlier, all the great ones are passing on.

Van Rijn
2005-Mar-19, 01:16 AM
I remember bringing home stacks of all Andre Norton books from the Public Library, always at my check-out limit. Eventually I got a bit burned out on her books, but I will always remember the time I spent in her worlds fondly.