PDA

View Full Version : Grammatical question

Jens
2018-Nov-02, 05:35 AM
I have a question about a grammatical construction, in a thank you letter. I originally had a sentence like this:

1. Please find attached the presentation by Dr. xx, which she graciously gave us permission to share with you.

Somebody modified it to this:

2. Please find attached the presentation by Dr. xx, for which she graciously gave us permission to share it with you.

To me that sounds wrong. But somebody else suggested that:

3. Please find attached the presentation by Dr. xx, for which she graciously gave us permission to share with you.

Any thoughts on this? To me the first seems correct.

Eclogite
2018-Nov-02, 08:25 AM
I am very much with your view: the first version is correct and certainly reads more fluidly than the two alternatives.
Note, however, that my grammar skills are more intuitive than formal. That said, I was recognised within comapnies I worked for as a discerning text editor.

I would more likely have gone with
"Please find attached the presentation by Dr. xx that she graciously gave us permission to share with you."

That eliminates the need for the comma and makes the linkage more definitive. Your versions 2, apart from being clumsy, is illogical.It implies that the graciousness was for the presentation, not for the permission to share. The same applies to 3, bar the clumsiness.

grant hutchison
2018-Nov-02, 11:50 AM
Recast the sentence to find what works.
It's "She gave us permission to share her presentation", not "She gave us permission for to share her presentation". So your first option is correct. The "for" is only necessary for a noun phrase: "She gave us permission for the sharing of her presentation." You give permission [to do something]; you give permission for [something to be done].

But just I'd split the thing in two: "Dr xx has graciously given us permission to share her presentation with you. A copy is attached."

Grant Hutchison

Roger E. Moore
2018-Nov-02, 12:21 PM
I am very much with your view: the first version is correct and certainly reads more fluidly than the two alternatives.
Note, however, that my grammar skills are more intuitive than formal. That said, I was recognised within comapnies I worked for as a discerning text editor.

I would more likely have gone with
"Please find attached the presentation by Dr. xx that she graciously gave us permission to share with you."

That eliminates the need for the comma and makes the linkage more definitive. Your versions 2, apart from being clumsy, is illogical.It implies that the graciousness was for the presentation, not for the permission to share. The same applies to 3, bar the clumsiness.

What you said.

Gillianren
2018-Nov-02, 03:01 PM
Of the three, the first is correct, but I agree that there are more graceful ways of phrasing it. "Dr. XX gave this presentation. The copy she allowed us to share with you is attached." Just for starters.

Trebuchet
2018-Nov-02, 04:46 PM
First one is best, third is just wrong. But Gillian's version is better than any. Or how about "We thank Dr. XX for giving us permission to share her presentation with you."

DaveC426913
2018-Nov-02, 10:09 PM
I don't think the for is right either.

But I'd suggest a change to the verb tense:

Please find attached the presentation by Dr. xx, which she has graciously given us permission to share with you.

Or better yet:

Please find attached the presentation by Dr. xx, who has graciously given us permission to share it with you.

Spacedude
2018-Nov-03, 01:30 PM
I prefer "Please find the attached presentation by Dr xx, but don't let her name fool you as she's quite gracious and sharing."

Jens
2018-Nov-04, 11:55 PM
But just I'd split the thing in two: "Dr xx has graciously given us permission to share her presentation with you. A copy is attached."

Thanks everybody for the confirmation and also the suggestions. I realize that's an easier way to do it. The reason I wrote it the way I did is that actually there are four attachments, so it's really, "Please find attached the final statement, group photo, report, and the presentation..." So if I recast it that way, I would have to add it as an extra sentence. So, "Please find attached A, B, and C. Dr. xx... I have also attached a copy of that." So I'd rather not break it up.