PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy Magazine Top 10 Space Stories

Tom Mazanec
2018-Dec-11, 02:57 PM
Why is this out in December (although the magazine is dated January 2019)?#2 was 'Oumaumau, even though that was discovered October 22, 2017.
#1 is the neutrinos from TXS 0506+056. But what if Betelgeuse becomes the ultimate Christmas Star, brighter than the Full Moon? I would think that would be the top.
Even if I had to wait till spring to get the results, I think it would be better if they waited.

Swift
2018-Dec-11, 04:28 PM
Why is this out in December (although the magazine is dated January 2019)?#2 was 'Oumaumau, even though that was discovered October 22, 2017.
#1 is the neutrinos from TXS 0506+056. But what if Betelgeuse becomes the ultimate Christmas Star, brighter than the Full Moon? I would think that would be the top.
Even if I had to wait till spring to get the results, I think it would be better if they waited.
It is the same reason that Time Magazine does their person of the year now, or that TV networks start doing their "story of the year" or "entertainer of the year" programs now. It gets better ratings/sales/advertising dollars. By the middle of January they know most people won't care about about 2018.

Of course, the risk is that Betelgeuse goes nova, or moderator Swift writes the best song in the history of mankind in the next two weeks. Both of those events are probably unlikely. ;)