PDA

View Full Version : Question: does it always rain in Seattle?

2005-Mar-20, 11:53 AM
Guys,

Whenever I watch anything on telly that's set in Seattle, it's always raining, thundering, snowing - or all three... :D :D :D :D

Can it really be that THAT bad??? 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Trebuchet
2005-Mar-20, 03:23 PM
Not this year. We're deep in drought, reservoirs are at levels usually seen in July. Precipitation for the winter has been only a fraction of normal. The local ski areas have been pretty much closed all winter. It's looking like a long brown summer.

Psi-less
2005-Mar-20, 03:51 PM
Although, currently, it's dumping rain and very windy. Normally, we have very wet winters, springs and falls. Otherwise we lose our nice healthy greenish complexions. And those of us born and raised here like it when it's grey and wet.

Psi-less

Musashi
2005-Mar-20, 03:54 PM
We stole their rain this year.

I wonder, around 93-94 we had a really yet year down here too (El Nino), what was the PNW's weather like then?

Glom
2005-Mar-20, 03:58 PM
I don't think it rained for the 772LR test flight.

Psi-less
2005-Mar-20, 04:11 PM
We stole their rain this year.

I wonder, around 93-94 we had a really yet year down here too (El Nino), what was the PNW's weather like then?

Dry-ish for us and hotter temps in the late summer. This time our problem was a very strong high pressure ridge parked off the coast that split the incoming rainclouds sending them south and north of us. We had a biggish storm system come through the other day that finally broke it up. Week before last, it got up near 70 where I live--yesterday's high (now that the ridge is gone) was a much more normal 50-ish. Excuse me , but I must go out and do my "Rain Happy Dance" now. =D>

Psi-less

tofu
2005-Mar-20, 04:20 PM
I was stationed at Ft. Lewis in Washington in '96. I was there for almost a month when one day I walked outside and was shocked to see a mountain, right there, I could almost reach out and touch it. I nearly fell down when I saw it!

It hadn't rained all that much, but it had been overcast the whole time. I'll never forget the feeling of seeing that mountain.

fossilnut2
2005-Mar-20, 05:50 PM
When my in-laws immigrated fom the Netherlands to Canada my father-in-law said one of his requirements was to live in a city where most of the population doesn't own an umbrella. Thus he ruled out Vancouver, north of Seattle.

(actually, both Seattle and Vancouver are great cities)

Psi-less
2005-Mar-20, 06:41 PM
When my in-laws immigrated to Canada my father-in-law said one of his requirements was to live in a city where most of the population doesn't own an umbrella. Thus he ruled out Vancouver, north of Seattle.

Umbrella??!? What's an umbrella? :-? In the famous words of my mother, "You're not made of candy sugar and you're not going to melt." :lol:

Psi-less

Kesh
2005-Mar-21, 12:12 AM
When my in-laws immigrated fom the Netherlands to Canada my father-in-law said one of his requirements was to live in a city where most of the population doesn't own an umbrella. Thus he ruled out Vancouver, north of Seattle.

Well, they could move here to hawaii. Almost no one (especially the natives) have umbrellas, even though it rains a lot in winter. :)

Trebuchet
2005-Mar-21, 01:02 AM
I suppose most folks here do own umbrellas but you never see them used.
We actually get less annual rainfall than many other places which do not have such a wet reputation. The problem is that while it seldom rains hard, it frequently rains lightly and continuously.

I remember reading a review in a car magazine years ago which referred to intermittent windshield wipers as a "useless" accessory. The magazine, of course, was based in LA. Around here they are an absolute necessity.

And just to make a liar of me, it's pouring right now.

TriangleMan
2005-Mar-21, 12:13 PM
Whenever I watch anything on telly that's set in Seattle, it's always raining, thundering, snowing - or all three...
I lived in Vancouver for a number of years (three hour drive north of Seattle) and from late-September to late-May it would be overcast/rainy most of the time, you expected that kind of weather to be the "default" while a sunny day was an occasional treat. By June the weather would reverse and it would usually be sunny and beautiful all summer.

If you're thinking of visiting Seattle/Vancouver, and you don't ski, go in the summer when the weather is nice.

2005-Mar-21, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys...No, I don't ski. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

farmerjumperdon
2005-Mar-21, 07:50 PM
I've got several family members in the Tampa area. Their claim to fame (other than the Salvadore Dali museum and being the mobile home capital of the world - is there a link there?) is 350-some days of sunshine per year. In the times I've visited there, it was more likely to use the windshield wipers to clear the dew during night driving then to use them for actual rain.

Trebuchet
2005-Mar-22, 12:35 AM
....By June the weather would reverse and it would usually be sunny and beautiful all summer.

If you're thinking of visiting Seattle/Vancouver, and you don't ski, go in the summer when the weather is nice.

I'd have to disagree about June. I usually tell folks we have two seasons: Summer, July 5 to August 31, and the Rainy Season. Although I suppose summer could start July 3 in Vancouver.

It's actually been fairly typical early spring weather today. Showers earlier, but I just mowed the lawn.

Psi-less
2005-Mar-22, 12:49 AM
It's actually been fairly typical early spring weather today. Showers earlier, but I just mowed the lawn.

So.....it was YOU!!!!! At least you didn't wash your car or it would still be pouring down out there.

Psi-less

TriangleMan
2005-Mar-22, 12:03 PM
I'd have to disagree about June. I usually tell folks we have two seasons: Summer, July 5 to August 31, and the Rainy Season. Although I suppose summer could start July 3 in Vancouver.
Oddly enough I recall one TV station in Vancouver noted the start of summer as June 12, then would determine if this year we were having an early or late summer depending on when the rain stopped.

Guess that means Canada gets the good weather first! :wink:

Trebuchet
2005-Mar-22, 08:01 PM
Oddly enough I recall one TV station in Vancouver noted the start of summer as June 12, then would determine if this year we were having an early or late summer depending on when the rain stopped.

Guess that means Canada gets the good weather first! :wink:

No, they just have their national holiday a couple of days earlier! :D

Trebuchet
2005-Mar-30, 08:24 PM
Now that it is officially Spring, we seem to have returned to our normal weather pattern: Cold and wet! They've actually extended the legal time for studded tires due to all the snow in the passes, where there hasn't been much all winter.

beskeptical
2005-Mar-31, 06:58 AM
I was stationed at Ft. Lewis in Washington in '96. I was there for almost a month when one day I walked outside and was shocked to see a mountain, right there, I could almost reach out and touch it. I nearly fell down when I saw it!

It hadn't rained all that much, but it had been overcast the whole time. I'll never forget the feeling of seeing that mountain.I grew up in the LA area. The year before I left I saw the very big mountain near my house (Mount Baldy) a total of 5 days the entire year due to smog. And some of the 5 days you couldn't even see it the whole day.

The mountain peaks here tend to be invisible then suddenly they dominate the horizon. But the overall weather is very much preferable to that in LA. Today for example was just gorgeous. We can have some long dark wet winter days but overall it is a great place to live. :D

Gillianren
2005-Apr-29, 01:25 AM
jeez, Beskeptical, one of us is following the other, huh? I grew up in Altadena!

I'm in the SCA up here, and we love going to tournaments w/Californians (other than me). we had the king of one of the southern kingdoms visit once, and he demanded to know why they were fighting in the rain. our answer? well, if they waited for it to stop, they'd never fight! an ex of mine had to be urged to come in out of the lightning while wearing metal . . . not that we get a lot of lightning up here, pout.

Washingtonian joke: what do you call a sunny day after three days of rain?

Monday.

beskeptical
2005-Apr-29, 07:00 AM
jeez, Beskeptical, one of us is following the other, huh? I grew up in Altadena!If you followed me you would have gone through:

Norwalk, CA
Walnut, CA
Pomona, CA
Eugene, OR
Steamboat Springs, CO
Year of travel: USA, Caribbean, Central America
Susanville, CA
Bellingham, WA
6 months of travel: Fiji, New Zealand, Australia
Richland, WA
Seattle, WA
Bellevue, WA (I really live in Bellevue now but Seattle is more easily recognized so I just keep using Seattle in my profile.)

cyswxman
2005-Apr-29, 08:43 AM
Hmm...Let's see. Currently here in Cheyenne: Light snow (has been snowing for the last two days), 19 degrees F after a high yesterday of 25F.
6 inches or so of snow on the ground now. We may break the freezing mark today!!! =D>
Just think, in about 7 weeks, the days start getting shorter. 8)

swansont
2005-Apr-30, 02:54 PM

I don't recall owning an umbrella when I lived in Vancouver. Having lived through the daily summer thunderstorms in Orlando, FL for four years, most of the precipitation in Vancouver (also Corvallis, OR) didn't qualify as real rain. More like an aggressive fog.

Chuck
2005-Apr-30, 04:32 PM
Trivia question: On which U.S. sitcom did the lead character claim that Washington's state flower is mildew?

Tobin Dax
2005-May-01, 07:28 AM
I don't recall owning an umbrella when I lived in Vancouver. Having lived through the daily summer thunderstorms in Orlando, FL for four years, most of the precipitation in Vancouver (also Corvallis, OR) didn't qualify as real rain. More like an aggressive fog.

I respectfully disagree. The rein in the Willamette Valley is normal rain. The downpours we get here are torture. I enjoy the one day a year we get NW-like rain here. (Only good day of weather we ever get. The rest the times it's either too hot or too cold.) (I'm from Salem, originally, btw.)

Oh, and inspired by a response above, I think that I've seen Mt. Hood all of once out of the last four times I've been home. I go home to see mountains, and the weather is overcast! That's how it should be, I know, but I don't know which I want to experience more. :wink: