PDA

View Full Version : What's your comfort food?

Trebuchet
2018-Dec-15, 03:12 AM
For me: Grilled cheese sandwiches. Especially if there's tomato soup on hand. My mother made them with white bread and Velveeta, I do otherwise, but it's still a grilled cheese.
Pepperoni pizza. The first kind I had and still my favorite. 60 years, probably.

Hmmm, melted cheese, bread, and tomatoes. Maybe that's a theme.

Noclevername
2018-Dec-15, 03:23 AM
My Grandmother made GCS with Government Cheese, those big bricks that you had to chisel off a hunk of. Made for the best grilled cheese ever to hit bread.

grapes
2018-Dec-15, 03:36 AM
For me: Grilled cheese sandwiches. Especially if there's tomato soup on hand. My mother made them with white bread and Velveeta, I do otherwise, but it's still a grilled cheese.

O sure!

And my rainbow soup. Potato soup, with onions and vinegar, topped with cheddar cheese and bacon, and or avocado and sour cream. Great healing powers.

Pepperoni pizza. The first kind I had and still my favorite. 60 years, probably.

Hmmm, melted cheese, bread, and tomatoes. Maybe that's a theme.

Spacedude
2018-Dec-15, 02:49 PM
Hot soup on a cold day hits the spot, another fan here of grilled cheese & tomato soup, a perfect dipping combo. Peanut butter & jelly with a cold glass of milk is good too but haven't tried that in many years. Never underestimate the power of pizza, but delux/combos are my choice, even with anchovies (they have to be on the side as Spacedudette can not tolerate them).

The Backroad Astronomer
2018-Dec-15, 04:32 PM
Bake beans would be one.

gzhpcu
2018-Dec-15, 04:38 PM
Spaghetti al dente with garlic and chili pepper.... simple and so good...

Gillianren
2018-Dec-15, 04:50 PM
Macaroni and cheese. Not the box kind--we never had that when I was a kid. My mother by-Gods made it from scratch. I have her recipe, and I frankly make it better than she does (my mother is not a very good cook), and there's nothing more soothing. Now if only I could teach someone else in this household how to make it . . . .

DaveC426913
2018-Dec-15, 07:18 PM
Used to be McDonalds. As I've aged, my bowels have weighed in with their own opinion on that.

Point of Order:
I'll let you off this time @Trebuchet.
Twice, you left an open quote without a close quote - which basically dooms the future of everything in your future light cone to be a quote spoken by you.
But luckily, they're not smart quotes, so open and close are the same character. So technically, they're matched, but meaning your actual quote is:

Thread: What's your comfort food

View First Unread
Search Thread
Display
Yesterday, 10:12 PM #1 Trebuchet's Avatar Trebuchet Trebuchet is offline
Order of Kilopi
What's your comfort foodFor me: Grilled cheese sandwiches...

PetersCreek
2018-Dec-15, 08:24 PM
I have to pick just one?

The Wife and I both like to cook. If Iím at the controls, I like a gooey grilled cheese sandwich: rustic bread if I have it, Raclette or GruyŤre cheese, a little salt, a little pepper, and maybe some Dijon if Iím in the mood...or for something extra, Honey Crisp apple slices. If Iím feeling ambitious, Southern-style chicken and dumplings.

My favorite comfort foods from The Wife are tater tot hot dish; meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and peas; and most especially, Avgolťmono soup.

The Backroad Astronomer
2018-Dec-15, 08:31 PM
Fiddleheads that is a seasonal thing around here. Fish 'n chips.

Trebuchet
2018-Dec-16, 12:17 AM
Used to be McDonalds. As I've aged, my bowels have weighed in with their own opinion on that.

Point of Order:
I'll let you off this time @Trebuchet.
Twice, you left an open quote without a close quote - which basically dooms the future of everything in your future light cone to be a quote spoken by you.
But luckily, they're not smart quotes, so open and close are the same character. So technically, they're matched, but meaning your actual quote is:

Thread: What's your comfort food

For me: Grilled cheese sandwiches...[/I]

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding that. I see no quotes.

SkepticJ
2018-Dec-16, 04:11 AM
Potato and cheese soup with cornbread.

I don't eat it very often, though, because I enjoy being able to pass through doors.

DaveC426913
2018-Dec-16, 06:21 AM
I'm sorry, I'm not understanding that. I see no quotes.

In the thread title. Repeated in the title within your opening post.

Noclevername
2018-Dec-16, 08:07 AM
Oatmeal with sugar and cinnamon.

Trebuchet
2018-Dec-17, 06:44 PM

Well, nuts. I'm sure those are someone's comfort food.

grant hutchison
2018-Dec-17, 07:18 PM
Just looked like opened and closed single quotes surrounding an empty string, to me. But that's a British thing.

Grant Hutchison

Jim
2018-Dec-17, 10:18 PM
... you left an open quote without a close quote - which basically dooms the future of everything in your future light cone to be a quote spoken by you. ...

“I wish, when I was first born, the first thing I said was "Quote" so the last thing I said before I died would be "Unquote.”
Steven Wright

grapes
2018-Dec-19, 01:24 PM
Fixed.

The repetition is automatic, in the board software.

Touch typing, and the right little finger doesn't quite make it down to the question mark"

ETA: that's a question

Trebuchet
2018-Dec-19, 08:18 PM
Fixed.

The repetition is automatic, in the board software.

Touch typing, and the right little finger doesn't quite make it down to the question mark"

ETA: that's a question

That sounds right. I'm not sure if I posted that from the computer or the phone, since I've got Tapatalk signatures turned off.

The Backroad Astronomer
2018-Dec-24, 06:43 PM
Sometimes I get cravings for things I haven't had for a while. Right now it is cheese and crackers with maybe a little smoked sausage, maybe sometime in the new year.