PDA

View Full Version : All 4 NEOs Mar.-Apr. are 2005 discoveries

beskeptical
2005-Mar-21, 08:15 AM
If I am reading the names of these asteroids correctly all the Mar.-Apr. 2005 Earth-asteroid encounters are with newly discovered objects.
(Scroll down the page on the link to see the list.)2005 FA
2005 ER70
2005 EU2
2005 EE169 (http://www.spaceweather.com/)It struck me as interesting. Are we discovering that many new ones, is it a one time fluke, or is it a mere coincidence there are no older discoveries on the Mar-April list?

JustAGuy
2005-Mar-21, 08:18 PM
It struck me as interesting. Are we discovering that many new ones, is it a one time fluke, or is it a mere coincidence there are no older discoveries on the Mar-April list?
Nope, that's exactly correct. We're still discovering NEOs at a very fast pace. As we flesh out the field of large NEOs, it's only logical that the search begin to focus on smaller and smaller objects. Since the # of objects out there shoots up as the size goes down, it's inevitable that we'll see more and more objects being found.

Wolverine
2005-Mar-21, 09:02 PM
I think it's fantastic to see such progress (http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/stats/) made.

beskeptical
2005-Mar-22, 08:41 PM
Which also means we only know the paths of a small percentage of the NEOs. 8-[

JustAGuy
2005-Mar-22, 08:48 PM
Which also means we only know the paths of a small percentage of the NEOs. 8-[

Yup. You got it. However, we do know the orbits of most major killer objects, since they're both less numerous and so much brighter.

Also, note the discovery dates on most of these, then compare with their fly-bys. The main reason we find the smaller objects is that they are very, very close, or just past us.

However, in all likelihood, the first warning we'd have of a <500m object on a collision course w/ Earth is when it hits the atmosphere...

publiusr
2005-Mar-23, 08:22 PM
Comets and extra solar objects coming in out of the sun are the real nightmares.

Jorge
2005-Mar-23, 09:41 PM
Comets and extra solar objects coming in out of the sun are the real nightmares.

extra solar as in?

George
2005-Mar-23, 11:12 PM
Are we discovering that many new ones, is it a one time fluke, or is it a mere coincidence there are no older discoveries on the Mar-April list?
Would it not be because they are closer and brighter? I presume the older ones are all larger and less numerous.