PDA

View Full Version : A Call for Observing Objects

Andromeda321
2005-Mar-23, 08:06 PM
Ok, here's the deal. I just got an email from one of the astro profs on campus telling me that one of our astronomers is going to be out at our Kitt Peak telescope next week. If it's partially cloudy he can't do his work, so he'll observe whatever we reasonably request.
So I've got a short little list but am scouting around to make sure I didn't miss anything. If you got a chance to get an image from a 26" telescope on Kitt Peak what would you pick? Remember it's gotta be up during next week and I'm not going to look into stuff requiring really long exposures... we can also get really wide fields on this scope. So get back to me ASAP, and I'll post what I request later for those interested. 8)

frogesque
2005-Mar-23, 08:16 PM
I wonder if the Andromeda Galaxy is on your list 8)

Orion nebula also makes a pretty pic

Jupiter would be stunning in a 26"

I'll keep thinking

Edit: would it be wide enough to cover the Pliades?

Tensor
2005-Mar-23, 08:21 PM
I wonder if the Andromeda Galaxy is on your list 8)

Orion nebula also makes a pretty pic

Jupiter would be stunning in a 26"

I'll keep thinking

Edit: would it be wide enough to cover the Pliades?

I'd agree with all of these, and would add Saturn. I was going to say the Pleiades, but frogesque got the edit in, just as I was getting ready to reply.

frogesque
2005-Mar-23, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I had a mental tossup about Saturn or Jupiter but since Cassini is out at Saturn already it might be a bit of a disapointment.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Mar-23, 08:59 PM
Is it next year yet? (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=281733&#281733) :)

Andromeda321
2005-Mar-23, 11:07 PM
Hehe, I guess it is!
Funnily enough I am going out to Arizona again this June for astronomy camp, but this time as a counselor so I guess I'm not actually proposing anything for the projects, just offering my expert advice. But you know, I have my persuasive moments... 8)
Interestingly enough, I think most of the points on my list have been mentioned. I figured late enough in the night the summer stuff rises, however, so Ring Neb made my list.
And I'm not sure about the Pleides but it might be possible, I'll look into that.

JohnOwens
2005-Mar-24, 09:24 AM
Hmm, Pleiades wouldn't be above 40° by the time dusk ended.
On a related note, I got to visit Kitt Peak recently, just after getting a new digital camera. You know what the inevitable outcome of that combination is, right? You can see some of the results here (one of my Wikipedia pages) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JohnOwens/Gallery#On_commons.wikimedia.org.A0.28http:.2F.2Fc ommons.wikimedia.org.2Fwiki.2FUser:JohnOwens.29_2) , and there will be more later, and I've been meaning to do a BABBling post on the whole trip soon, but that'll take some writing up yet.
Meanwhile, enjoy that smattering of pics!

Eroica
2005-Mar-24, 12:57 PM
Pluto! (And Charon?)

gethen
2005-Mar-24, 02:46 PM
Hey, my son will be at Kitt Peak at the beginning April to do some observing of things he's been working on with the SDSS group! Any chance you'll be there then, Andromeda?

ngc3314
2005-Mar-24, 03:05 PM
Hey, my son will be at Kitt Peak at the beginning April to do some observing of things he's been working on with the SDSS group! Any chance you'll be there then, Andromeda?

And for that matter I'll be at the WIYN telescope for a few nights around the start of June, if any BABBlers are wandering around. (Not set up for imagery, so no requests on this one...)

And back to taking requests for the OP - some really big things might include the whole Rosetta and Cone nebulae, the "other Veil" IC 443 in Gemini, and open clusters M35/NGC 2458. That last one would suffer least from poor transparency. Farther into the night there is the whole Leo Triplet of galaxies NGC 3623/7/8, of which the last has a long dim tidal tail.

AstroRockHunter
2005-Mar-24, 07:20 PM
We've been having some strange weather here, but the chances good that some pictures could be taken.

Some of the objects I've been working on lately are:
M95- A face on barred sprial galaxie. There are other galaxies in this area also.
M63- "The Sunflower Galaxie"
The Horse Head and Flame nebulas near Orion.
M104- "The Sombraro Galaxie"

Actually, there are A LOT of objects up for the picking. I suggest that you get TheSky or Starry Night planetarium software, or the equivilant, and have a look.

Have fun making your decisions. :lol:

Edited to add:
M51- "The Whirlpool Galaxie"
M81 and M82- Two interesting galaxies.
M101 A HUGE galaxie
Sigh, I could go on all day. :roll:

lolife
2005-Mar-24, 09:00 PM
So get back to me ASAP, and I'll post what I request later for those interested.

Screw all that pretty picture stuff, can he get spectra?

;)

Michael

Andromeda321
2005-Mar-25, 12:40 AM
No spectra, I asked.
And if anyone's in AZ late June/ early July I will be. 8)

AstroRockHunter
2005-Mar-25, 02:26 AM
Andromeda321:
As a person who lives in Arizona I have to ask,
What possible dimensia would posses you to come to Arizona in late June/early July???

:roll:

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Mar-25, 04:02 AM
What possible dimensia would posses you to come to Arizona in late June/early July???
I've never heard astronomy described as a dementia, before, but now that I think about it, yes, it kinda fits.

JohnOwens
2005-Mar-25, 09:16 AM
Andromeda321:
:roll:
You know, as a more-or-less native Wisconsinite, that kind of reminds me of the looks I got from the native Texans, when I went down to visit the Houston area mid-summer, and they seemed to wonder how I could stand to wear my coat in their heat. I just figure they're a bunch of wimps, if they can't handle the heat. ;) And just wait 'til I drag them up here for a Wisconsin winter!!!
And I got similar looks when I went to visit Arizona for the first time a month and a half ago, too, oddly enough. Wanna bet whether I can still handle it if I ever get down there mid-summerish? :D

Andromeda321
2005-Mar-25, 03:59 PM
Wanna hear the scariest thing? This will be the fourth time I'm visiting Arizona in the summer! Man I must be crazy...
Really now, I'm heading out to be an astronomy camp (www.astronomycamp.org) counselor after being a camper three years running (around Tucson). It's not bad actually because we retreat up to Mount Lemmon the first day where the weather stays nice and comfortable in the seventies (elevation does that for you!). And we have to have the camp that late due to the moon/ when high schools usually let out unfortunately, but what are you gonna do.

AstroRockHunter
2005-Mar-25, 07:19 PM
Actually, John, the past couple of months here have been among the coolest and wettest on record. Certainly since we moved here 8 years ago. Quite comfortable, really. Where in Arizona did you visit???

I grew up near Detroit so I have a feel for your winters. I don't like the cold anymore, and would not move north again just for that reason, but even worse than the cold is dealing with the snow (shovelling), the slush (should only be served from Dairy Queen) and the freezing rain. Scraping all that stuff off before going to work in the morning is the pits.

Andromeda is right, the elevation helps BIG TIME. Kitt Peak, at 7000 ft. is usually 20 degrees cooler than Tucson, at about 2500 ft. Where I live the elevation is only 1600 ft. In the summer, the daytime temp. average is 115. I've gone out the the domes in my backyard at 2:00 am and the temp. is STILL over 100 degrees.

But I digress.

Have fun at the astronomy camp, Andromeda. I've heard about it, but have never had the time to attend the adult one. Maybe someday. :D

JohnOwens
2005-Mar-25, 08:00 PM
Actually, John, the past couple of months here have been among the coolest and wettest on record. Certainly since we moved here 8 years ago. Quite comfortable, really. Where in Arizona did you visit???
Tucson, Vail to be precise. And yes, while I was there, I noticed it seemed cooler and wetter than I'd expected, and made jokes about the clouds I smuggled in in my luggage, the same kind of clouds that come packed with new telescopes. :wink:

Andromeda is right, the elevation helps BIG TIME. Kitt Peak, at 7000 ft. is usually 20 degrees cooler than Tucson, at about 2500 ft. Where I live the elevation is only 1600 ft. In the summer, the daytime temp. average is 115. I've gone out the the domes in my backyard at 2:00 am and the temp. is STILL over 100 degrees.
My parents are up a bit higher than Tucson, around 3600 ft. Less atmosphere to look through. :) My dad's about to get the roof on his observatory in the next few weeks... oh, right, I was going to do a separate BABBling post on the matter. Still have to write that up....

AstroRockHunter
2005-Mar-26, 03:14 AM
JohnOwens wrote:

Tucson, Vail to be precise

Nice. Did you know that David Levy and his wife Wendee live in Vail??? They orginize the yearly Telescopes for Telethon event in Tucson every year. I've been proud to bring a telescope to the event the last few years. It's about the only good cause that I have time to work at.

Anyway, I'm sitting in the 12" dome right now, taking CCD's of the Horse Head nebula. It's a tough life, but somebody's gotta do it. :D

Clear skys.

JohnOwens
2005-Mar-26, 03:24 AM
JohnOwens wrote:
Tucson, Vail to be preciseNice. Did you know that David Levy and his wife Wendee live in Vail??? They orginize the yearly Telescopes for Telethon event in Tucson every year. I've been proud to bring a telescope to the event the last few years. It's about the only good cause that I have time to work at.
Well, I didn't want to spoil the forthcoming travelogue too much, but yes, David Levy lives less than half a mile from them (by my estimate), and is going to come over to share first light when my Dad finishes the backyard observatory. I got to see David Levy's Jarnac observatory too, from the road, and a somewhat low-quality picture of it (like I said, I'd just gotten a new camera, nothing was safe from me!).
Added: After checking online maps, looks like about a quarter mile/half a kilometer between the two.

Andromeda321
2005-Apr-06, 07:16 PM
Well guys, I finally got a picture! Lookit, the Orion Nebula (http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/Academics/Astr151/m42.jpg)! :D :D :D
Might still get another picture as one never knows, but right now the weather's just looking bad in general judging by the Kitt Peak webcam (http://www.noao.edu/kpno/kpcam/index.shtml).