PDA

View Full Version : "Night of the Lepus" was a documentary

Roger E. Moore
2019-Jan-10, 03:24 PM
https://www.inverse.com/article/52305-snowshoe-hare-meat-eating-study

Meat-eating rabbits have been filmed in Canada. They are eating lynxes and grouse.

To quote the experts on what we should do: "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"

SkepticJ
2019-Jan-10, 06:21 PM
Doesn't surprise me. I've seen a squirrel eat another squirrel.

Swift
2019-Jan-10, 06:25 PM
It is important to point out that the hares in this study weren't killing the animals they were eating, they were scavenging the carcasses of already dead animals.

I think it is also not that unusual. I've heard descriptions of deer eating mice and squirrels stealing bird eggs or chicks and eating them.

On the flip side, I think pretty much all carnivores supplement their diets with vegetation.

I think we had a very old thread on this topic; the question was along the lines of "are any animals strictly carnivores or herbivores" and the answer was for the most part - no.

Roger E. Moore
2019-Jan-11, 01:41 PM
It is important to point out that the hares in this study weren't killing the animals they were eating, they were scavenging the carcasses of already dead animals.

That's what the rabbits who control the news want you to think.

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

Solfe
2019-Jan-11, 02:35 PM

I think it is also not that unusual. I've heard descriptions of deer eating mice and squirrels stealing bird eggs or chicks and eating them.

On the flip side, I think pretty much all carnivores supplement their diets with vegetation.

I think we had a very old thread on this topic; the question was along the lines of "are any animals strictly carnivores or herbivores" and the answer was for the most part - no.

I think the term is "obligate carnivore". Cats, minks, dolphins, etc. have to eat meat. House cats sometimes eat other things, but usually as play or appeasement of an owner's request. My cat will eat cheese if offered, but it seems to be the offer she is responding to and not the need to eat. I recall a time where my son forgot his sandwich on the table and the cat got it. The ham was gone, but the cheese and bread were plastered all over the walls and floors. Apparently, she thought it was a "Happy Meal" and ate it, then played with it.

nota
2019-Jan-15, 06:39 PM
we had a cat that would mug you for a cantaloupe
she would try to knock you out of the way to get at the cantaloupe
she also loved corn

Roger E. Moore
2019-Jan-15, 07:39 PM
Our cat Blizzard likes to lick and nibble on French fries from Steak & Shake. Several of our cats are insistent on eating cheese in small amounts. Percy the kitten attacks you for any food you have, probably from being raised like a trash panda from birth.

ronin
2019-Jan-15, 08:05 PM
My cat is addicted to Flaming Hot Cheetos of all things. Comes running if he hears a chip bag being opened and god help your legs if you don't give him some.

John Mendenhall
2019-Jan-16, 02:38 PM
https://www.inverse.com/article/52305-snowshoe-hare-meat-eating-study

Meat-eating rabbits have been filmed in Canada. They are eating lynxes and grouse.

To quote the experts on what we should do: "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"

What experts ?

Trebuchet
2019-Jan-16, 03:53 PM
What experts ?
These experts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg), presumably.

Roger E. Moore
2019-Jan-16, 04:14 PM
The Monty Python and the Holy Grail experts.