PDA

View Full Version : bad headline

toolazytotypemyname
2005-Mar-24, 12:45 AM
light spotted from beyond solar system (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&ncid=753&e=3&u=/ap/20050323/ap_on_sc/planetary_light)

Gee, any night that isn't cloudy I can see light from beyond the solar system. What took these guys so long?
:D

Sam5
2005-Mar-24, 01:01 AM
light spotted from beyond solar system (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&ncid=753&e=3&u=/ap/20050323/ap_on_sc/planetary_light)

Gee, any night that isn't cloudy I can see light from beyond the solar system. What took these guys so long?
:D

A couple of years ago a local TV station out here said that everybody should go out and look at the close planet alignment. The news anchor said, “Tonight Mars will be only 250 miles from Jupiter!”

Wow!

Spacewriter
2005-Mar-24, 02:53 PM
I remember at a JPL press conference during one of the Voyager missions they were presenting close flyby images of Uranus (I believe that's the one), and a newbie science reporter stood up and asked, "So, what was it like at the moment of impact?" Ed Stone looked at him and said,"We HOPE it didn't impact. It was only supposed to fly by on close approach!" The rest of us laughed and the report slid sheepishly down in his seat and didn't stop blushing for a long time.

novaderrik
2005-Mar-24, 07:04 PM
i guess one could make an immature joke about impacting Uranus... but i won't go there..

voyager_3
2005-Mar-24, 08:06 PM
Is it true that when Galileo made one of it's gravity assists past Earth, that at a press conference when NASA stated that the maneuver would slow the Earth's orbit down by something like 6 feet per trillion years, an anxious reporter jumped up and asked if this was going to have any impact on Earth's climate?

The version I heard has a senior NASA official replying "Don't worry, we're going to send a spacecraft to fly past Earth in the opposite direction so that it will speed up again?"

Nick
2005-Mar-24, 09:42 PM
i guess one could make an immature joke about impacting Uranus... but i won't go there..

Patrick Moore here in UK's 'Sky at Night' TV program changed years ago from pronouncing Uranus as 'Your anus' to 'Your an us'. If I remember correctly, he said something like "That will stop the schoolboy jokes.".

Ever since all verbal reports use the last version (it appears). Whether there was an agreed debate among the astro people on this at the time, and they made a change, I don't know.

Nick

inside30
2005-Mar-25, 03:45 PM
hello all 8)

Russ
2005-Mar-25, 08:07 PM
hello all 8)

Hello and welcome aboard. Are you new to astronomy or are you a long timer and just new to the BABB?

tofu
2005-Mar-25, 08:26 PM
Patrick Moore here in UK's 'Sky at Night' TV program changed years ago from pronouncing Uranus as 'Your anus' to 'Your an us'. If I remember correctly, he said something like "That will stop the schoolboy jokes.".

I call it Urectum

(futurama joke)

beskeptical
2005-Mar-26, 09:27 PM
When I first saw that headline for a second I thought they meant light like a sign of a city or something. It was the only thing that made sense since obviously there's plenty of light out there.

Kaptain K
2005-Mar-27, 06:21 AM

I call it Urectum

(futurama joke)
Rectum hell, I killled 'em :oops:

Joe Durnavich
2005-Mar-27, 01:50 PM
Another pronunciation that seems harmless is: you-RAY-nuss.

John Kierein
2005-Mar-27, 07:36 PM
When I was on the Art Bell show a guy called and said something about aliens making a ring around Uranus. I told him they about to be wiped out.