PDA

View Full Version : PSP

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-24, 04:19 PM
I just got a PSP, it came with a bunch of cool stuff including 'Spiderman 2' the UMD movie! You guys who dont have one should give it a shot! You can convert DVD to PSP. Check out the screen savers site for that though, The hype was right, It rocks! 8)

dvb
2005-Mar-24, 08:41 PM
paint shop pro, or that new playstation thingy?

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-24, 08:54 PM
I'd prefer a laptop... More versatile.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-24, 09:52 PM
Playstation Portable - Widescreen, UMD DVD's, UMD Music, UMD Videogames, Wireless / Wired Online features, and a Joystick! Trust me, They rock! =D>

Nicolas
2005-Mar-24, 09:59 PM
What's UMD?

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-24, 10:17 PM
Widescreen? The things are tiny, last I checked...

Nicolas
2005-Mar-24, 10:23 PM
Widescreen? The things are tiny, last I checked...

But it IS 16:9 ...
I'm more for big screens too. I've got 17" here, and I would like some more. Not to be cool, just because it is handy to use, and more impressive in games.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Mar-27, 12:01 AM
What's UMD?

It's a cut-down CD/DVD format... so you can't copy the games (yet!)

I keep trying to persuade my youngest that he wants a PSP ... so I can play with it! (no luck so far :( )

Nicolas
2005-Mar-27, 04:05 PM
What's UMD?

I keep trying to persuade my youngest that he wants a PSP ... so I can play with it! (no luck so far :( )

Do you mean with "cut-down" that it's compressed? Or just encrypted?

zebo-the-fat
2005-Mar-27, 04:17 PM
What's UMD?

Do you mean with "cut-down" that it's compressed? Or just encrypted?

I mean a physicaly smaller disk, for a review look here:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/01/review_sony_psp/

Kristophe
2005-Mar-27, 04:45 PM
I've heard some major complaints about the PSP's hardware. Between battery life, and a poorly placed button or two, things look bleak for me giving a darn about this piece of equipment.

Amadeus
2005-Mar-27, 07:02 PM
Think i'll stick to my Xbox.

Had a look at this psp thing, basicly it's for mobile gaming.
Anytime i'am out i'am doing stuff or would not be in an position to use it.

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-27, 07:33 PM
XBox? The thing with a 773 MHz processor, an 8 gig HD, and 64 megs of RAM? :P

zebo-the-fat
2005-Mar-27, 08:16 PM

A PC with the good bits taken out? :o

Nicolas
2005-Mar-28, 11:47 AM

As the Xbox is made specifically for gaming, you can't compare these numbers with a PC "one on one". The Xbox is getting some years old, but the new games on it still look impressive in my opinion.

[awaiting Xbox2 8) :D ]

Amadeus
2005-Mar-28, 12:29 PM
Yup thats the one. :D

Does me nicely! Online multiplayer with voice chat straight out of the box.
Plus its a fraction of the price of a PC.

Also awaiting Xbox 2...

CPU three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores
256 MB of system RAM
Hard drive will be optional

Tranquility
2005-Mar-28, 07:22 PM
I've heard some major complaints about the PSP's hardware. Between battery life, and a poorly placed button or two, things look bleak for me giving a darn about this piece of equipment.

They're supposed to have fixed the hardware issues. There were some defective units with screwed up square buttons because they were too close to the LCD but that was fixed for the US release apparently. Battery life last I heard is 4-6 hours if you're gaming. Got a chance to play around with one of them. Thing is a handheld would be perfect for me because I spend insane amounts of time on trains and buses, so I'm saving up for one.

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-28, 08:29 PM
The XBox 2 looks like it would be nice for graphics work or something... Just needs a gig of RAM instead of the wimpy 256 megs.

Revolver
2005-Mar-28, 08:39 PM
Excuse the stupid-ness of me, but whats RAM?

256 isn't very much compared to the 1024 of a Gig

Gullible Jones
2005-Mar-28, 09:06 PM
RAM = random access memory. In it, a computer stores running programs, the disc cache, and other things that have to be accessed with minimum delay.

When you run out of available RAM, your machine switches to swap space - it writes data to part of the hard drive, usually a special partition, for later retrieval when needed. Needless to say, this is much slower than RAM, due to the way hard drives work. The more RAM you have, the less often you need to start using swap space and deal with the resultant performance reduction.

BAroxMysox
2005-Mar-28, 10:18 PM
Mine just got delivered today, but I'm stuck at work and won't get to enjoy it until very late tonight. Very depressing.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-29, 10:43 AM
If the games are written such that it doesn't run out of RAM, there is no problem. Mind that the Xbox2 needs its RAM only for the game. Not for Windows, schedulers, antivirus, antispyware, spyware... :)

So if the games have good memory management and fit into the 256, there is no problem. I hardly ever run over 512 (I've got a gig) in games on a PC using more than 100 for sound sampling (home studio) alone.

mid
2005-Mar-29, 11:19 AM

Yes, the one that clocks a better Doom3 framerate than my PC with an Athlon 2600+, 160Gb HD and 512Mb ram, while costing about as much as my graphics card.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-29, 11:34 AM

Yes, the one that clocks a better Doom3 framerate than my PC with an Athlon 2600+, 160Gb HD and 512Mb ram, while costing about as much as my graphics card.

In an attempt to keep the Xbox-PC comparison as objective as possible, I take the PC side this time:

Does DoomIII on Xbox have the same LOD, resolution and rendering effects as the PC version? From what I've seen, the game looks about the same on both platforms. Television screens have lower resolution, and the PC version looked better in the details. So you can't compare the two unless you know the exact graphics settings and LOD of both game versions.

mid
2005-Mar-29, 01:23 PM
It's almost certainly down to the fact that the XBox works with smaller textures than the PC release. But the fact that I've got my graphics settings at pretty much minimum on the PC and it still isn't silky smooth means I just never bothered playing it that much. I'll probably dig it out again if/when I upgrade the poor little Ti4200.

Evan
2005-Mar-29, 04:06 PM
I'm suprised that you are having performance problems. You do have a separate AGP video card don't you? My gaming machine is a Athlon XP 2700 with a G-Force MX400 Golden Sample video card from Gainward. It plays Unreal Tournament 2004 at 1152 x 864 resolution with all effects maxed and still does over 30 FPS.

I don't have Doom III to compare with but UT2004 is a pretty demanding game. There is a big difference in the performance level of various video cards even if they have the exact same chip-set. This especially applies to N-Vidia based cards. It is up to the card manufacturer to decide what speed they want the card to run at and there can be some big differences.

BAroxMysox
2005-Mar-29, 06:36 PM
I have an Athlon 2200, 512 RAM and a Geforce FX 5900, and I can get 1024x768 and high quality on Doom 3. Pretty much maxed out on UT2004 and HL2 as well.

mid
2005-Mar-30, 09:20 AM
Evan - I've got UT2k4 running lovely and smooth on my machine as well. Doom 3 on low settings runs ok when walking around, it's just that the framerate drops to about 10 max when monsters leap out from nowhere (i.e. just when you need it most, and that happens a lot in the game). It isn't completely unplayable, but it did mean the game isn't that much fun.

I'm far too into Gran Turismo 4 at the moment (my lovely car (http://home.clara.net/iainl/elise111r.jpg)) to play anything else, anyway.