PDA

View Full Version : Octopuses

Candy
2005-Mar-25, 04:24 PM
Octopuses Seen Walking From Predators (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=050325&cat=frontpage&st=frontpageap2 0050325_657&src=abc)

Octopuses, known for using camouflage to avoid predators, have been observed apparently trying to sneak away by walking on two arms while pretending to be a bunch of algae. Two kinds of octopus were seen to use different ways of walking along the sea floor, researchers were reporting in Friday's issue of the journal Science.
So wouldn't they evolve into Bipuses with six arms? :lol:

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Mar-25, 04:48 PM
I prefer to think of them as bipi, for some reason

Stregone
2005-Mar-25, 04:50 PM
Its amazing how smart and resourceful those things are.

Amadeus
2005-Mar-25, 08:42 PM
Tasty too :D

Fram
2005-Mar-25, 08:57 PM
Walking on two arms while pretending to be algae? Would that be as effective and smart as me doing somersaults while pretending to be an elephant?
Perhaps next time they can hold one arm in front of an eye, :roll: , and pretend to be a jukebox :lol:

Sorry to be interrupting, those animals really are smart, but the way the article was phrased just made me laugh (I guess if I use 'tickled my funnybone', I'll have to go to the cliché thread!).

tofu
2005-Mar-25, 09:01 PM
I seriously want to get one as a pet. I just think they're the coolest things.

Kullat Nunu
2005-Mar-25, 09:17 PM
We definitely need to know more about them.

Did you know that octopus has no less than three hearts?

Other cephalopods are weird, too: for example, squids communicate which each other by changing colors. It's pretty cool to see how an angry squid turns into deep violet.

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-25, 09:42 PM
also, their eyes evolved independently from other animal branches.

Kullat Nunu
2005-Mar-25, 09:49 PM

I'm remembering that eyes have evolved independently at least 40 times.

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-25, 09:54 PM

yes, i suppose that that would happen.

apparantly their eyes have a better design than mammels, the light has to pass through a bloodsupplying layer of cells before it hits the light sensitive cells where as with octupuses the blood suply is from behind. So they have clearer vision.

Moose
2005-Mar-25, 11:44 PM
Sorry to be interrupting, those animals really are smart, but the way the article was phrased just made me laugh (I guess if I use 'tickled my funnybone', I'll have to go to the cliché thread!).

It tickled me the same way, Fram, and for much the same reason. I read this before supper and I'm still laughing about it. That's just so precious!

"Curse those evil octopi!" - 200 points (yes two hundred big points) for the reference. It's somewhat obscure.

Paul Beardsley
2005-Mar-25, 11:56 PM
Well, given that an octopus picked a fight with me last year, I can't say I'm all that impressed with their intelligence!

Unless, of course, he was simply expressing his opinion of me as a threat. Which is perhaps quite likely...

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-26, 12:07 AM
I saw one climb inside a bottle, how clever is that?

the_shaggy_one
2005-Mar-26, 01:36 AM

Do they have AA for octopi?

Candy
2005-Mar-26, 03:26 AM

Do they have AA for octopi? :lol:

Just think, they can easily hold a six pack.

Enzp
2005-Mar-26, 06:08 AM
And still keep both hands on the wheel.

Disinfo Agent
2005-Mar-26, 06:02 PM
An interesting counterexample for IDers. 8)