PDA

View Full Version : A better mousetrap - internet abusers now more easily targeted

Roger E. Moore
2019-Feb-13, 07:46 PM
https://techxplore.com/news/2019-02-abuse-online.html

Researchers develop a new system to detect abuse in online communities
by Ingrid Fadelli , Tech Xplore

A team of researchers at Avignon University has recently developed a system to automatically detect abuse in online communities. This system, presented in a paper pre-published on arXiv, was found to outperform existing approaches for detecting abuse and moderating user-generated content.

slang
2019-Feb-13, 11:00 PM
Oh no, I'm being replaced by a very small shell script!

DaveC426913
2019-Feb-15, 12:07 AM
:rofl:

LaurieAG
2019-Feb-15, 06:12 AM
They tested their algorithm on data sets from a French MMORPG game so the concept will still need further modification/testing for general social media use.

Also, it is unfortunate that they did not post their previous research 'performances', as referred to in their paper, on arXiv as the method used in their first 2 tests was discarded for the method outlined in their current paper. Despite context explicitly being used to discard data from the data set used for their latest analysis they claim that their new work 'relies only on graph-based modeling' and they only refer to the impact of this on their previous results, not on their current results.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1901.11281

Our previous work [17] is completely based on the textual content of the messages, whereas the one presented here ignores it, and relies only on a graph-based modeling of the conversation, which is completely new in this context.
We previously experimented with this dataset in [17], [3]. However, since then we have detected certain inconsistencies in the database, preventing us from retrieving the context of certain messages. We cannot apply our classification method to them, so we discard them for the work presented here. Note that this concerns both classes. Moreover, our tests show that removing those samples does not significantly impact our previous performances.

Swift
2019-Feb-15, 01:26 PM
Oh no, I'm being replaced by a very small shell script!
I, for one, welcome our new shell script overlords.

publiusr
2019-Feb-15, 09:06 PM
Not me--I'll get banned for sure. They'll love cubesats and small launchers, no doubt.