PDA

View Full Version : entropy in a 3-sphere system.

WaxRubiks
2019-Feb-24, 01:16 PM
If you take a 3-sphere of radius of 1 light year, and place a few hundred equally massive neutron stars randomly within the system, how would the entropy change, if those neutron stars all moved towards being equally separated, and spaced out?

From my basic understanding of entropy it is a level of disorder, so would a 3sphere with equally spaced neutron stars in this model, have a lower entropy level than this same model, but with randomly placed neutron stars?

Solfe
2019-Feb-24, 03:45 PM
You would be applying energy to get those stars to get into particular orbits. Left on it's own, the whole system would become more chaotic. There is nothing inherent in that system that would allow for equally separated stars in orbits.

WaxRubiks
2019-Feb-24, 04:37 PM
You would be applying energy to get those stars to get into particular orbits. Left on it's own, the whole system would become more chaotic. There is nothing inherent in that system that would allow for equally separated stars in orbits.

ok, forget about the neutron stars moving; which state has the highest level of entropy?

Solfe
2019-Feb-24, 05:42 PM
A particle surrounded by other particles in random orbits has a higher state of disorder, which should lead to more entropy.

I am 90% certain that I do not understand the difference between entropy and order/disorder or at least flip their properties around willy-nilly. Perhaps it would be better to wait for expert to comment before I go and goof things up.